corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » New build or Old.............

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New build or Old.............
JadeM
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Nov 06 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What would you all go for?

I personally would prefer to buy an old Cottage/Steading with lots of character, rather than a new build on an estate where there are 300 odd houses exactly the same. Ideally I would love to have the money someday to buy an old property and start from scratch, and put my own mark on it. I'd make it a mix of modern and traditional, keeping the original architecture and features. I love the steading project and waterhouse project that a_j_mair has been involved in.

Doubt I'll ever be well enough off to do it tho I can always dream!!

[Edited on 15-11-2006 by JadeM]
antonOO2

15th Nov 06 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would be surprised Jade it is getting easy and easy to build you own home and renovate these days.I was recently reading an artical in Homebuilding and renovation about a women who built a six bedroom house for 116,000 pounds.Obviously she would have had tobuy the land aswell ,think that cost about 40,000 if i remember correctly.

[Edited on 15-11-2006 by antonOO2]
Cosmo

15th Nov 06 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same taste to you really, would prefer an older house. And intend to find an old victorian style place to do up once I move.

They always seem more solidly built aswell.
antonOO2

15th Nov 06 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am going to be converting a barn to live in.Im heading for a career as a quantity surveyor which will give me a great insight into self build and renovation.I want to be a Qs and developer when im older which go hand in hand really
JadeM
Premium Member

15th Nov 06 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would love to do it someday, who knows fingers crossed Modern houses, luxurious as they can be just don't have the same appeal to me

JadeM
Premium Member

15th Nov 06 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antonOO2
I am going to be converting a barn to live in.Im heading for a career as a quantity surveyor which will give me a great insight into self build and renovation.I want to be a Qs and developer when im older which go hand in hand really

I saw a programme last year all about barn conversions. Two poofs renovated a huge barn, the results were amazing

Ever noticed how gay guys always have really good taste when it comes to stuff like that and are so particular about things
antonOO2

15th Nov 06 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes i saw the same show
And the coment about gays is right ,but not in all cases.You can have good taste and be straight The thing i love about barns are the views,its quiet,no neighbours and you always get a long drive which makes you feel special
Cosmo

15th Nov 06 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The thing i love about barns are the views,its quiet,no neighbours and you always get a long drive which makes you feel special

Alot are right next door to farmhouses so your not always on your own!
JadeM
Premium Member

15th Nov 06 at 14:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yes i saw the same show
And the coment about gays is right ,but not in all cases.You can have good taste and be straight The thing i love about barns are the views,its quiet,no neighbours and you always get a long drive which makes you feel special

They went WAY over budget tho, I'd probably be the same

Your right straight guys can have good taste too
Fee

15th Nov 06 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw that too

Definitely old....older houses have higher ceilings, bigger rooms, usually have bigger gardens

I'd love to build my own house...
Adam wants a garage under the house and I want a kitchen with a big island
JadeM
Premium Member

15th Nov 06 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of the things that appeals to me most in old cottages, are the big thick walls that make the window recesses really thick I'm weird I know
antonOO2

15th Nov 06 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JadeM
One of the things that appeals to me most in old cottages, are the big thick walls that make the window recesses really thick I'm weird I know

Also @ Fee about the island in the kitchen .
I will not be happy until i build my own house
a_j_mair

15th Nov 06 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all these programmes and articles are full of crap IMHO they miss out alot of information and dont mention hidden costs or fees etc.

in most occasions conversions cost more that budgeted for as you nearly always come up against the unexpected.

JadeM
Premium Member

15th Nov 06 at 14:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fee
I saw that too

Definitely old....older houses have higher ceilings, bigger rooms, usually have bigger gardens

I'd love to build my own house...
Adam wants a garage under the house and I want a kitchen with a big island

Fee, when I first read that I imagined a kitchen sitting in the middle of an island somewhere in the middle of the sea

JadeM
Premium Member

15th Nov 06 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
all these programmes and articles are full of crap IMHO they miss out alot of information and dont mention hidden costs or fees etc.

in most occasions conversions cost more that budgeted for as you nearly always come up against the unexpected.

Yes, thats one of the reasons I'll probably never fulfill my dream
Your projects look amazing btw
nik

15th Nov 06 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going for an art deco/modernist house next. Not really keen on anything older, although Dad lives in a 500 yr old house
mwg

15th Nov 06 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I prefer new build. Just because they dont need alot doing initially, you can move in and the most you will probably do is redecorate.
No knocking the building about putting new openings in to create bigger rooms or improve an old fashioned layout in some way, having to replaster, rewire, structural problems etc. etc .

I know how much work there is involved in some of these old buildings and the problems you have as I work for a Civil & Structural Engineers. Rotting timbers, non existant foundations, damp in the walls etc.

That said I do like old houses, just none of the work/maintenace that comes with them.
antonOO2

15th Nov 06 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes i agree with this ,its not something you would take on without huge consideration and extensive planning and surveying of the building in question.You are always going to come up against problems in life but anything that is straight forward and easy is not worth doing in my case.I like a challenge.
JadeM
Premium Member

15th Nov 06 at 14:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nik
I'm going for an art deco/modernist house next. Not really keen on anything older, although Dad lives in a 500 yr old house

Is it a cottage, any pics
Fee

15th Nov 06 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes...but they also stay at the same value for ages
nik

15th Nov 06 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nik

Is it a cottage, any pics

Decent sized 4 bed cottage, will try get some pics. Ceilings are bloody low!
a_j_mair

15th Nov 06 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair

Yes, thats one of the reasons I'll probably never fulfill my dream
Your projects look amazing btw

it is something that has taken my dad years to build up a good reputation for his company and make enough money to allow him to do what he has always wanted to.

Takes alot of time and experience to be able to tackle something on large scale.

I am still hopefull of buying an old byre if i can convince my aunt to sell
JadeM
Premium Member

15th Nov 06 at 14:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know I'd probably stress myself to the max, if I started something like that, but it must all be worthwhile when you see the end results
nik

15th Nov 06 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just found a pic of it on the net

[Edited on 15-11-2006 by nik]
a_j_mair

15th Nov 06 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I know I'd probably stress myself to the max, if I started something like that, but it must all be worthwhile when you see the end results

definetaly

great sense of achievment

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll