corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » New house, new garden project and a bit of decorating :D

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New house, new garden project and a bit of decorating :D
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
17th Sep 06 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moved back to uni into the new house last friday, the net wasnt supposed to come live till wed but i hooked it all up today and it works so no complaining Could only get 3.5mbps at home but connecting at around 5mbps here
Anyway, i promised a new pond thread so this is the start of it, but a quick update with my room cos im really pleased with it. Its an upsidedown house which means my bedroom has the garden right outside (house is on a bit of a hill so it looks like a bungalow from the front with the kitchen etc upstairs, and bedrooms downstairs).
First i started off painting my room, two walls chocolate brown and 2 walls slightly browny cream.

Then i put up that Giclee on the wall that i got off ebay (http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=304840)
absolutely love it

Made a start cutting up the floorboards above in the dining room to put some spot lights in my ceiling and replace the shitty lamp shade that was there.

Put down some insulation while i was at it to stop some of the noise from the living room and dining room upstairs at night, may as well while the floorboards were up

Stuck up a little video clip too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=267dkFTHeNA
Gonna get some curtains (just got blackout material draped over there at the moment which will eventually go on the back of the curtains to block out the light for the projector), put the projector mount on the ceiling just above the picture with an electric screen mounted above the two small windows opposite and a small desk in the corner for my pc etc and to do uni work out then it will be pretty much finished

As for the pond...
i thought i had more pics but i dont so ill stick up what i got already
Its not a massive garden but the pond is gonna be about twice the volume of the last one i made in hereford (my sister is now moving out of that hosue too and i got to take all her fish aswell to look after, and it was a bit overstocked), so the new pond is gonna take up about a fifth of the whole garden

Site for new pond

Concrete path on the right all smashed up and removed, to make way for part of the pond and using the line of the old path for a stream coming out of the foliage above.

Made a start on digging the actual hole...

Thats all the pics i have, but the hole is now a lot deeper on the far end of the garden. The plan is to face the side near the hosue with railway sleepers, and use a concrete foundation with vertical metal rods as support, with the sleepers drilled and almost slotted on top. The local watergarden place also gave me an idea to put a clear perspex window in the front of it to see the fish from underwater, plus it will be facing straight through my bedroom window (patio doors) to the head of my bed, so i will still be able to see them at night in the winter etc with the underwater lighs
I'm also gonna extend the patio area by my door by another slab length and make a bigger step into the grassed area, possibly faced with some sort of wooden veneer with lights recessed into it. There will be a stone chip path going up the side of the pond from that area, branching off the the right near the stream to a japanese style wooden bridge over the stream, and also following the line on the left to the top of the garden. The other end of the stream will have a small pool mainly filled with plants like watercress to help the ammonia and nitrite levels for the fish, which will then obviously flow down the stream to the pumped return in the bottom pond. Finish the garden off with a couple of lights in the flower beds and it should look pretty good

Sorry about the essay but this has also been kinda useful for me to write all the plans down and get a clear idea of whats going on Will be sure to update it when there's more progress. Hoping to get the first of the fish in it by the weekend, all going well, then back to uni next week!

EDIT - forgot to put the video link up

[Edited on 17-09-2006 by drunkenfool]
Eck
Premium Member

17th Sep 06 at 23:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you don't take you're time do you looks great mate you've got a lot of work on you're hands
Robin
Premium Member

17th Sep 06 at 23:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good
smack

17th Sep 06 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it actully your house? or like one ur renting for uni
Still looking good
drunkenfool

17th Sep 06 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mum remortgaged her place and bought a 3 bedroom place in aberystwyth and renting out the other 2 rooms to 2 of my mates. Bit of an investment for her, plus it means we have a hell of a lot more freedom in doing the place up how we want it.
Haimsey
Premium Member

17th Sep 06 at 23:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good, your going to be busy busy, and that pic is fooking wicked

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
LAD VXL

18th Sep 06 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow looks like you have your work cut out there mate.

Loooove the pictures! nice find
MKC

18th Sep 06 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lush picture - what site (on ebay? ) was it from mate?
drunkenfool

18th Sep 06 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got it from Utopiart - http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZutopiartQQhtZ-1

If you browse through the main Canvas/Giclee group though, there are literally thousands to choose from, took me ages to decide!
http://art.listings.ebay.co.uk/Canvas-Giclee-Prints_W0QQcatrefZC4QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ20147QQsocmdZListingItemList
MKC

18th Sep 06 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate - looking a huge long canvas for my new house at the minute
drunkenfool

18th Sep 06 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, just got some more pics of how it is now, gonna go and get the railway sleepers etc today and then get going again with it after...

Thats the site of the hole

Its going to extend up to the wooden posts on the right, cut diagonally across the front of the patio area where the line is, then follow the line of the patio up into the garden and back across to teh right.

and where the path from us taking the wheelbarrow is now will be stone chips from the top towards the pond, branching off to the left at the top of the pond for the japanese style bridge going over the stream

[Edited on 18-09-2006 by drunkenfool]
James

18th Sep 06 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drunkenfool you legend I am going to purchase one of those canvases
Liam

18th Sep 06 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those canvases are wicked, cheers for the link mate.
Kathryn W

18th Sep 06 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good so far! The layout and idea's for the pond sound good
gianluigi

18th Sep 06 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love the picture! i want one!
Kerry

18th Sep 06 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this house yours??

If not your spending alot of money on someone elses house

Looks nice though, wanna come and do mine
ed

18th Sep 06 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read the thread?

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
My mum remortgaged her place and bought a 3 bedroom place in aberystwyth and renting out the other 2 rooms to 2 of my mates. Bit of an investment for her, plus it means we have a hell of a lot more freedom in doing the place up how we want it.
drunkenfool

18th Sep 06 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mum owns the house, im gonna be here this year, in the holidays next year when im not living in spain, and then here again for another year after that definately, maybe more depending what i decide to do with my life I got to make a pond for all the fish we got back in hereford, although half of them i bought with the intention of putting them in a pond at uni anyway. When its all finished off nicely it should add a bit of value to the house too

Been out buying bits and pieces most of today, got the sleepers coming tomorrow, been to a fabricators and got 5 4'x1" diameter steel rods to support them in the foundations as well as a bracket he's welding up for us to brace them together at the joint, also ordered the new paving slabs for the patio and a pub style picnic bench. Gonna have a look on ebay now for some outdoor lighting bargains, got the cabling, junction boxes and plastic pipe to bury the cable underground in. Also got some 80mm agricultural hosing which we are gonna bury and put between the two pools so in the winter we can take the plug out and let the water go straight through the hosing instead of down the stream which should help to stop it getting too cold
--Dave--
Banned

18th Sep 06 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love these threads
Kerry

18th Sep 06 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought i had read it sorry
Melville

18th Sep 06 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of interest, what is the best way to cut up floor boards and put them back down?

Is cutting next to the joist then putting and attaching a block of wood to the side of the joist the nailling them into that the best way?

[Edited on 18-09-2006 by Melville]
Ally

18th Sep 06 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks nice Matt, our floorboards are coming up tomorrow to have new cables put down for the shower and it really scares me how minging it can look when they take things up
drunkenfool

18th Sep 06 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Melville
Out of interest, what is the best way to cut up floor boards and put them back down?

Is cutting next to the joist then putting and attaching a block of wood to the side of the joist the nailling them into that the best way?

[Edited on 18-09-2006 by Melville]

We couldnt take them all up cos of internal walls etc and the ones in there are tongue and groove too, so we drilled a pilot hole, got the jig saw in and cut up to the joists and removed square panels leaving the floorboard attatched directly above the joists. Then got a hand saw and cut the remaining part off from the adjoining ones and pulled the bit from right off the joists off. Gonna have to cut new ones to size and just screw them back into the joists.
infinitycorsa

18th Sep 06 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MAtt we love you at times

good work
drunkenfool

18th Sep 06 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love you too tris babe Mwah xx

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll