corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody

New Poll
  <<  23    24    25    26    27    28    29  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question for everybody
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th May 06 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

precisely what Darren has put isnt what youve been arguing - hes missed your point!
jr

24th May 06 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely thats the first stage, as there not driven, so it will make no diffrence as the power is deliverd in thrust through the engines, and not wheel driven

???
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by jr
i agree with SVM,

why, because i dont know the anwser, and he seems to have put across his agrument quite well

what do we win

Because he's used some fancy words occasionally does not mean he has put his argument across quite well.
If you read any of his argument you would see he's actually shown himself up.

John, any examples of me 'showing myself up' would be gladly received.

I didn't use fancy words, I used plain English.

Maybe you would like to try it sometime as opposed to plain rudeness which seems to be your preference.

Btw, are you sure you're not Ross?

Once again, I realy realy apologise for offending you.
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
SVM you are posting consecutive contradictory posts now.

I have not contradicted myself once John.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th May 06 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
of course it does Ian - how can the physical mass of the plane not be accounted for?
Because the question of whether the plane can generate forward motion depends on whether its ability to move foward is counteracted by the forces acting on it backwards.

Gravity DOES NOT affect this.

To achieve the equilibrium under which some people are claiming that the plane would not take off, the forward force would have to equal the backward force.

If you want some formulas that point would be something like

drag at wheels = propulsion at engine

Drag at wheels being the product of belt speed and frictional loss at the wheels.

Propulsion at engine being a factor of engine power and frictional drag of air resistance, ie. not much.

While equilibrium is of course possible, it would be achieved at a thrust level so low, the plane could easily overcome it and take off.
John

24th May 06 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His argument is exactly what we're saying lee.
The plane is moving through the air towards its takeoff speed ireelevant to the speed of the conveyor or wheels.
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv just had a little pray and even god gets it
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
The speeds being the same is mere co-incidence.

The wheels freewheel.

The speed of the belt is therefore unrelated to the speed of the plane. They effect each other so marginally its not important.

No Ian, the belt does not match wheel speed, it matches aircraft speed, that is the most important point.

Wheel speed is academic and doesn't factor into the debate.

[Formatting fixed]

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by Ian]
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

arrgh ffs it does not matter how fast the belt moves, it could move 5 times the speed of the plane and it would make no differnce
John

24th May 06 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just had a little pray for strength.
God says even he can't give me enough.
Paul_J

24th May 06 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
No Ian, the belt does not match wheel speed, it matches aircraft speed, that is the most important point.

Wheel speed is academic and doesn't factor into the debate.

surely that'll just mean the wheels spin faster? plane will still take off due to the FORCE propelling it, being greater than the force holding it back.

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by Ian]
Ian
Site Administrator

24th May 06 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
It could surpass aircraft speed by some considerable margin if it wanted, it won't slow the plane down.
jr

24th May 06 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I've just had a little pray for strength.
God says even he can't give me enough.

DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GREAT SCOT!

yes lee i get it.

i dont even think you know the question!

my theory would prob be right if the plane was wheel driven.

I apologise for getting it wrong and arguing with everyone. as soon as ian said the wheels are free-turning, it clicked!
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenGSi
OMG i think i do get it,
put simply,

the plane accelerates to the designated speed say 100mph, and the belt is going 100mph, the plane isnt geographically stationary because the belt is only turning the free-turning wheels and not affecting the plane speed, therefore the plane does accelerate to 100mph AIRSPEED, not road speed. this means going through wind at 100mph and lift is generated!

No Darren, the plane and belt both travel at the SAME speed mate.
John

24th May 06 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the number of people in the wrong is gradually going down...phew!
Brett
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The question says the belt will be moving at the same speed as the "plane", not how much the engines are thrusting or how much the wheels are spinning.

i.e. If i was running ("moving") at 10mph and the running machine was moving at 10mph then I wouldn't go anywhere.

It's like me saying, if i take longer strides on the running machine then i'll start to move up. No, because i wouldn't be going the same speed!

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by loafofbrett]

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by loafofbrett]
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
arrgh ffs it does not matter how fast the belt moves, it could move 5 times the speed of the plane and it would make no differnce

It can't move 5 times the speed of the plane Steve.

Brad stated that they travel at the same speed.
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OMG this is actually unbelievable

So by your account the belt moves at the same speedof the plane yeah? then the plane wouldnt move ACCORDING TO yOU, yeah?

Well if the question was changed to the belt moves 5 times faster than the plane, according to your theory the plane would go backwards, yeah?

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by Steve]
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes svm but as the planes wheels are free-turning, the can go at any speed and not affect the plane. the plane speed comes from the engine and pushes the air backwards which meanks it is not geographically stationary
Jules S
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
of course it does Ian - how can the physical mass of the plane not be accounted for?

it will be taken account of via a cosine squared relationship!

Would you please stop quoting random theories and start stating some facts.

I could pick all sorts of random theorem that nobody would undertand here...thats all you do to back up your opinons

To quote somebody earlier, this isnt primary school physics...its more like structural mechanics. Different forces are being exerted on different bodies with diffrenet interaction points between the bodies in question.

Ive posted in laymans terms three or four times why it would take off.

some are intelligent enough to get it, other choose to just perpetuate the arguement to justify their misguided opinion.

edit: makes more sense for the masses

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by Jules S]
J da Silva

24th May 06 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
The question says the belt will be moving at the same speed as the "plane", not how much the engines are thrusting or how much the wheels are spinning.

i.e. If i was running ("moving") at 10mph and the conveyor was moving at 10mph then I wouldn't go anywhere.

It's like me saying, if i take longer strides on the running machine then i'll start to move up. No, because i wouldn't be going the same speed! :rolleye:

Your theory suggeststhere will be no air passing over the wings, hence no lift,the plane can go forwards at 3587857mph but it can't get lift then the answer is it won't take off.
John

24th May 06 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand the saying, never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, now more than ever before.
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OMFG iv got it now, THE PLANE WOULD NOT MOVE

j/k

<<  23    24    25    26    27    28    29  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody 22 database queries in 0.0221691 seconds