corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody

New Poll
  <<  21    22    23    24    25    26    27  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question for everybody
Jules S
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th May 06 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
conveyour speed should in theory be the same as the outer diameter of the wheel's speed

the debate I'm putting acorss is if the conveyour/wheel speed is different to the planes thrust speed

if it is different there will be a velocity of advance - if its the same there wont be

this velocity of advance will determine if the plane reaches take off speed

yes, but you are now admitting the plane can move....which is very different from earlier on mate
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no I personally dont think it will - I'm not admitting it will move - I think the wheel and body speed will be near enough identical over a set time period

however I'm stating the condition in which the plane could move/wouldnt move
Ian
Site Administrator

24th May 06 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
this velocity of advance will determine if the plane reaches take off speed

Indeed Lee - and there is VERY LITTLE to stop the plane moving - certainly not the frictional loss through the road wheels and therefore certainly NOT the belt, in any circumstance.
RichR
Premium Member

I'm stating that the whole debate hinges on wether a velocity of advance could/would/should/will occur
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The frictional losses are in no way negligeable though; neither is the mass and gravitational force acting onthe plane - you have to remeber a 100 tonne plane exerts 981 000 N of downward force - this isnt easy to shift; especially if there is a conveyour counteracting its lift from velocity of advance

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by LiVe LeE]
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

friction, velocity, thrust is nothin to do with it.

can the plane take off from standing still? no.

why? because there is no wind to lift the wings.

its the exact same if the plane is travelling at 100mph north and the belt 100mph south, it will still appear that the plane is on the same spot therefore will have no wind to lift the plane without making the plane go faster.
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
Geographically it IS stationary
Depends what you're measuring against. Relative to the ground, yes, but then as I've already said the ground is not important.

You could not stop a plan by spinning its wheels backwards. It wouldn't slow down.

The moving belt is having the same effect on the wheels as that which the tarmac beneath the craft would normally have under standard circumstances i.e. the plane making normal progress along a fixed surface.

The diference is, the craft has no motive input on the surrounding air due to what is essentialy a moving runway which negates normal forward progress in the geographical sense and as such the craft is incapable of producing lift.

This is why take off would not be possible.
John

24th May 06 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Darren please read this and tell me who said the plane would take off from standing still?
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its a case of agree to disagree - I'm off down the pub!
Jules S
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry Lee,

But 'if' the plane 'can' move then sooner or later the plane will achieve optimum velocity and it will take off

it may take time, and it may take more real three dimensional space, but it 'will' take off

methinks the penny has dropped now?
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sxi04

Geographically it IS stationary Paul, because the belt compensates for any motive input from the craft.

All we know is that the belt travels at the same speed as the plane.

It's very simple.

has someone hacked into your account? last time i checked you seemed to come across as someone with rational thought

Are you Vibrio?
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no I dont agree the plane will move and there will be no velocity of advance; and hence no take off

but thats just my opinion
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Darren please read this and tell me who said the plane would take off from standing still?

read the whole post, its an example, you might learn something
Hammer

24th May 06 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Geographically it IS stationary
Depends what you're measuring against. Relative to the ground, yes, but then as I've already said the ground is not important.

You could not stop a plan by spinning its wheels backwards. It wouldn't slow down.

The moving belt is having the same effect on the wheels as that which the tarmac beneath the craft would normally have under standard circumstances i.e. the plane making normal progress along a fixed surface.

The diference is, the craft has no motive input on the surrounding air due to what is essentialy a moving runway which negates normal forward progress in the geographical sense and as such the craft is incapable of producing lift.

This is why take off would not be possible.

do you want your gold medal back now mr 286?
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

give svm a nobel prize
Ian
Site Administrator

24th May 06 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenGSi
its the exact same if the plane is travelling at 100mph north and the belt 100mph south, it will still appear that the plane is on the same spot therefore will have no wind to lift the plane without making the plane go faster.
Yes - but HOW DO YOU STOP THE PLANE!

The only backward force is the belt via the wheels.

The wheels freewheel.

There is no other force to countact thrust.
Paul_J

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John

read the whole post, its an example, you might learn something

PMSL
jr

i agree with SVM,

why, because i dont know the anwser, and he seems to have put across his agrument quite well

what do we win
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

This damn belt is having no effect whatsoever on the planes ability to thrust itself forward.

What do base that conclusion on Ian?

We already know that the belt travels at the same speed as the aircraft, so it can only retard/prevent it's progress.
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Yes - but HOW DO YOU STOP THE PLANE!

The only backward force is the belt via the wheels.

The wheels freewheel.

There is no other force to countact thrust.

there is - mass and gravity

981000 N of the stuff
John

24th May 06 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've unfortunately followed this post since it started and wasted lots of time doing so.
You might learn something if you read it.
The arguments you have are just wrong.
Not even maybe a bit right.
John

24th May 06 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
i agree with SVM,

why, because i dont know the anwser, and he seems to have put across his agrument quite well

what do we win

Because he's used some fancy words occasionally does not mean he has put his argument across quite well.
If you read any of his argument you would see he's actually shown himself up.
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my arguments or DarrenGSi's
John

Darrens sorry lee, lost of posts by the time I reply.
SVM 286

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i think everyone assumes the belt has its own power and the plane is free to move.
In this instance, I fail to see how an aircraft propelled by thrust on its wings would fail to move.

Does this mean sea planes can't take off if there's a current? WTF.

If they are going against the current, progress will undoubtedly be hindered, but there aren't many currents short of El Nino that can match a seaplane's take-off speed.

<<  21    22    23    24    25    26    27  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody 22 database queries in 0.0179648 seconds