corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Possible head gasket failure?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Possible head gasket failure?
sxibeast

User status: Offline
16th Dec 05 at 01:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys!

Ive never seen what mess a head gasket failure makes under the bonnet but could this possibley be one?

Driving the gfs corsa (1.2 8v) the temp gauge almost hit the red. Stopped the car and checked the water in the bottle (very 'rusty' looking in bottle) and it was bone dry! Filled it up, ran it then topped it up again to ensure the water had gone round but noticed the whole block was covered in thick oil. Drove the car home opened the bonnet and there seemed to be a trickle of bown water coming from the side (where a gasket may be i wonder as there seemed to be something looking like 1 poking out abit) and was hissing too. Loss in pressure perhaps in a cylinder? Serious gasket failure? Is it relativley easy to do over a weekend? The cars gota do a trip to worthing and back so i need the old girl working!

Help me!

Cheers!

Jon
Cybermonkey

16th Dec 05 at 05:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ouch, sounds like serious gasket failure if its emptying the expansion tank too, any white gunk in the oil and lots of white smoke from exhaust? if so then its deffo head gasket failure, and with the rate that it has been emptying coolant, i wouldnt be suprised if the head is warped
sxibeast

16th Dec 05 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

uh oh! Not what i wanted to hear but cheers mate! there only seems to be white smoke from the exhaust on start up, otherwise thers none whilst going along. i filled up the tank again so will see how quickly this empties this time.

if the head is warped, could it be skimmed back to square, or is it a new head that has to be put on?
Cybermonkey

16th Dec 05 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can be skimmed if its only warped a little. check the oil though for contamination. thats a surefire way that water is in the oilways. good luck

New Poll