corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » BCM CDA sealed Carbon Airbox - any good?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BCM CDA sealed Carbon Airbox - any good?
TOMAS

User status: Offline
27th Dec 04 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looking at buying a CDA carbon sealed filter - much like the Pipercross Viper except cotton filter & cheaper. Who uses one and how do you find them? Looking for low/std induction noise from a new filter so how loud are these?

BUK

27th Dec 04 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had one on a 106 at one point, very imperssed with them and the quality of them
ffls

27th Dec 04 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Too expensive, overpriced gear but good product
One universal sealed and cheap induction, with 75mm pipe and a 100mm cold feed will do the same. Just oil the filter. I bought one for 35 quid and it worked. better than panel filter +airbox because the restriction is on the top of the OEM airbox.
MJ

27th Dec 04 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have one and think it is a great bit of kit and im running it on a 1.2 8v pics are in my garage, just i need to clean it but dont know wot with
TOMAS

28th Dec 04 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but its not as overpriced as a Viper Viper = £250 with cold air and BMC = £175 for the XE lump.
Joff

28th Dec 04 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The BMC can't really be compared to a Viper though.

Once you've got past the dealers making their healthy profits, the reverse flow filter in a Viper is far superior to the BMCs efforts.
The Viper uses a tapered cone design with a radiused inlet - the BMCs is just two ends and a tube of carbon fibre. Worth about a tenner...
Corsa Racer 69

28th Dec 04 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno how pipercross get away with selling the viper at that price the performance gain is not that great, a decent filter heatshield and cold air feed is easy enough to make and if you wanted to you could enclose a filter yourself
TOMAS

28th Dec 04 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Joff what you on about? The Viper is just a tube of carbon fiber with a foam mushroom inside - I owned one for a week and wasnt impressed. The BMC is a regular style cotton induction cone wrapped in carbon fiber tube? and £75 less? Whats the BIG difference, explain cos I dont see it?

Surely the benefits of cold air far outweigh the radiused shape of the filter no? So long as it acts as RAM induction at speed where cold air is force-fed into the intake? Agree about Pipercross, so overpriced its LOOPY!

[Edited on 28-12-2004 by TOMAS]
Robin
Premium Member

28th Dec 04 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree that the viper is overpriced, mine was very cheap, but its still not been worth what i paid for it
Joff

28th Dec 04 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa Racer 69
dunno how pipercross get away with selling the viper at that price the performance gain is not that great, a decent filter heatshield and cold air feed is easy enough to make and if you wanted to you could enclose a filter yourself

Pipercross only sell to trade, so it you're moaning about being charged £250 for a Viper, speak to retailers.

Joff

28th Dec 04 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
Joff what you on about? The Viper is just a tube of carbon fiber with a foam mushroom inside - I owned one for a week and wasnt impressed. The BMC is a regular style cotton induction cone wrapped in carbon fiber tube? and £75 less? Whats the BIG difference, explain cos I dont see it?

Surely the benefits of cold air far outweigh the radiused shape of the filter no? So long as it acts as RAM induction at speed where cold air is force-fed into the intake? Agree about Pipercross, so overpriced its LOOPY!

The whole design and purpose of the Viper is to get maximum airflow in, filtered and out to the engine whilst trying to minimise the amount of turbulence being introduced into the air stream by hard edges and angles.
The filter on the Viper isn't radiused, the base is.

"The BMC is a regular style cotton gauze filter", ok so there's it's first negative point.
The reverse flow element in the Viper is designed so that the filter's shape is maintained by air pressure meaning that there's no need for any internal cage structure that can restrict airflow.

The Pipercross Viper is made from a spun alloy base with a tapered carbon fibre heatshield - the BMC's CDA has about as much design as a baked bean tin.

Joff

28th Dec 04 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
i agree that the viper is overpriced, mine was very cheap, but its still not been worth what i paid for it

You only paid about £50 for it you idiot

Corsa Racer 69

28th Dec 04 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The gains you would get of a viper over a normal induction kit are minimal, a viper just isnt worth the cost, a good cold air feed and heatshield and a decent filter if the viper was that good all the racing guys would be using them
Joff

28th Dec 04 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The gains you would get of a viper over a normal induction kit are minimal, a viper just isnt worth the cost, a good cold air feed and heatshield and a decent filter if the viper was that good all the racing guys would be using them

What racing guys use open induction kits?
J100RSA

28th Dec 04 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got cda and its better that joffs viper
Corsa Racer 69

28th Dec 04 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most i know have modified the original or fitted a K+N Filter and protective box round it most rally cars ive seen have this design

[Edited on 28-12-2004 by Corsa Racer 69]

Joff

28th Dec 04 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J100RSA
i got cda and its better that joffs viper

FPMSL you'll eat those words when you drive the car down
Joff

28th Dec 04 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
most i know have modified the original or fitted a K+N Filter and protective box round it most rally cars ive seen have this design

Yes, so what you're saying is BMC is shit

Corsa Racer 69

28th Dec 04 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but the viper is also shit
Corsa Racer 69

28th Dec 04 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aswell as the BMC
Nic Barnes

28th Dec 04 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats wrong with a 29 quid max power air filter ffs, cant go wrong with that now can you? and it gives you max power around 15bhp, unlike the others eh
ed

29th Dec 04 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Induction kits alone don't give noticable power gains on N/A engines. Stop beliving everything you read.

[Edited on 29-12-2004 by 1800ed]
TOMAS

29th Dec 04 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK so lets change the subject slightly... What would you fit?

There's NO-WAY im running a Viper @ £250 plus the one I tried (without cold air though) made no improvement over my ill-fitting battered Green filter.

Cant you fit the BMC backwards so that IT has reverse air intake like the Viper style. Joff it sounds like you have many pressing issues with air feed intake into the 20XE engine lately...
ed

29th Dec 04 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get a 57i and be happy
ed

29th Dec 04 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, tuning parts are expensive, a Viper is a proper tuning part and costs a lot of money. You wouldn't cry if a set of throttle bodies and management costed about £2k. Tis life i'm affrad. Deal with it.

Also, don't think air filters work like that. You can't just turn them about the wrong way for a laugh...

[Edited on 29-12-2004 by 1800ed]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll