corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Can there ever be too much air to the engine?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Can there ever be too much air to the engine?
BU52G*S

User status: Offline
6th Jul 03 at 01:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey guess what i did i use a 1pound massive lunch box as my airbox to cover my k&n cone filter with 2 intake hose it work very well lol
wytey

6th Jul 03 at 02:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol bu5g*s

I used 2 lian li aluminium mouse mats (courtesy of a lian li sales rep), and sum aluminium ducting. but I decided to give into temptation and ordered the Green Cotton Filter DynaTwist Induction Kit from NeedForSpeed, estimated 3 weeks delivery time, straight from France only 2 weeks to go
miles

6th Jul 03 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it was detuned so that it didn't compete with the 1.8 and 2.0 engines.

The injectors are not an issue. This is simple an effective cold air feed and not forced induction. What you said about the injectors implies a turbo is being fitted.
Corsa^Dan

7th Jul 03 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm it couldnt anyway could it?
miles

7th Jul 03 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldn't what?
Corsa^Dan

7th Jul 03 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it was detuned so that it didn't compete with the 1.8 and 2.0 engines.

THAT!!
anyway bk too the point, if the front scoop was tobe:

1.5"higher by 3" acrolss, would it be big enough?
Andy_J

7th Jul 03 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will NEVER ramair feed an engine without a turbo/supercharger.

Vauxhall spent millions of pounds and countless hours of development to make the intake system, and you think you can improve it with a plastic lunch box and some cling-film

Youll loose power, no doubt about it!

Plus the engine will draw in endless amounts of shite, including rain if you have a front mounted intake.

Corsa^Dan

8th Jul 03 at 07:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont forget the sticky bk plastic!

dont see how u can say it can make it worse tbh
miles

8th Jul 03 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 1.4 and 1.6's with the velos bean can induction system would quite easily compete with the 1.8 and 2.0 engines.

They spent so long developing it that it was too good, so they detuned it. Something as simple as the mantzel power box gives a 20% increase. You dont think vauxhall missed the posibility of something like that do you?

Back to the ram thing,

Are you using this with a sealed airbox r simply to blow on your cone filter?

Dont worry about it sucking in shite, thats what the filter is for. You'll be fine as long as its not placed to low.
Corsa^Dan

8th Jul 03 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was gonan put it into the sleaed box tbh
miles

8th Jul 03 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good good.

Those measurements above are tiny.
Miner

8th Jul 03 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andy_J
You will NEVER ramair feed an engine without a turbo/supercharger.

Vauxhall spent millions of pounds and countless hours of development to make the intake system, and you think you can improve it with a plastic lunch box and some cling-film

Youll loose power, no doubt about it!

Plus the engine will draw in endless amounts of shite, including rain if you have a front mounted intake.

Why do they use ram induction on bikes then? And I doubt Vauxhaull would spend so much time developing the intake, they only develop their parts bin to reduce costs by bolting a bit of every other vaux together to make a new one! If done correctly it would work but it's prob a 1.2 8v and wont matter anyway!
Tam the diesel man

8th Jul 03 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some racing cars use forced induction where air is fed though the front of the car via vent to the filter.
Andy_J

8th Jul 03 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, but ram air on 'bikes and racing cars dosnt even start to work till 100mph+, and thats a pretty futile idea on the road... It'll give you LESS low down power. If you want a less restrictive intake, get a matzel box. Its only the 1.4 16v and 1.6 16v intakes that are a bit dodgy anyway, if its a 1.2 dont even bother changing it.

Cone filters loose power on 1.2's
Paul_J

9th Jul 03 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

woah - my post has had a lot of discussion on it

hehe, thinking about it now - the pressure probably won't do much as you said. But as a cold air feed (cold air = denser = power) it might not be bad...

Only thing I thought about is you have this thing on the front .... and well surely this is blocking the normal air flow to the engine! thus over heating it for like motorway driving...

Finally on the

quote:

have you actually looked at the intake... Basically all the standard thing is, is so that when the engine 'Sucks' and sucks through the sealed box it draws the air from the front... rather than round the hot engine...

I don't think vauxhaul developed the existing intake's with power in mind... Otherwise they would of made the material inside the box (panel filter) have as little resistance as possible (which they haven't hence you can buy K&N etc replacements...

Paul J
Corsa^Dan

10th Jul 03 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could place the "catcher" in the bottom grill..
miles

10th Jul 03 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The engine sucks more than what you can push with motion. So just having the end of a pipe in a position at the front of the car away from heat will work just as well.

I imagin the larger the outlet, the easier and less restriction there is to this sucking, hence why a smooth bellmouth is good.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll