corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Can there ever be too much air to the engine?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Can there ever be too much air to the engine?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
2nd Jul 03 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since I smashed up my air intake - I was thinking of making a custom one... Some sort of cone-ish thing at the front of my car to funnel air down into a pipe going over the actual induction kit area...

I'd want it to funnel down from large to smaller pipe - (like a conish thing) - so that it collects a large volume of air, and then squeezes it and thus forces the air at a higher pressure...

The question is - will this work? and what will the results be?

Turbo's work by getting lots of air in, but the cars are setup so the fuel to air mixture is correct with it...

With this since the ECU will set itself up at idle it won't have any air being forced in... its only once it starts moving air would start getting forced in and thus I'd imagine the fueling to be weak compared to the air...

Is this correct?

This is a 3d picture I did ages ago when I had the idea (its v.rough - not exactly how I imagined it but you get the idea) the wide bit is at the front...

Thanks,

Paul J
and-m

2nd Jul 03 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt bother with that idea, just get a big bore pipe (4 inch or so) to the filter and box the cone off from the engine heat.
miles

3rd Jul 03 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did something similar a while back with the pipe going being sealed into the airbox.

I made the intake bit out of fibreglass.

I think its an very effective cold air intake, but apparently you wont achieve the benefits of positive pressure until something like 120mph where you'll gain 0.1bhp or something.

Dont worry about it getting to much air.
Cybermonkey

3rd Jul 03 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No matter how much air you feed to the engine, as long as there is enough fuel to match, you will be fine. If you do decide on making this custom job, dont forget about the exhaust system. Also remember that when your ECU starts to register the new air flow, it also learns how much air is flowing once you have started to drive, so its not a case of worrying that the ECU wont record how much air is being fed into the engine, since it learns and updates everytime you drive.

Dave
Kris TD

3rd Jul 03 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, if there is more air than it needs then it wont suck it in.
Rob H

3rd Jul 03 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
I think its an very effective cold air intake, but apparently you wont achieve the benefits of positive pressure until something like 120mph where you'll gain 0.1bhp or something.

Not too sure on that. Ive seen touring cars with piping that looks like a turbo, but it was actually from a Ram air type scoop at the bottom of the bumper . I doubt they go over 120 MPH much. When you think about it, if you stick your arm out of the window on the motorway, there's loads of pressure acting against it. If you can effectively get that into the engine, your onto a winner

also, dont they make a similar product for 106's/Saxo's? Might be worth making a post on SSC and ask them .

[Edited on 03-07-2003 by Rob H]
miles

3rd Jul 03 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think you appriciate how much an engine sucks.

Up until the force at 120 (ish, might be wrong) the vacuum of the engine is greater than that of the push. So it only acts as a cold air feed. People wouldn't bother with turbo's if you could just put a big funnel on the front of your car instead.
Corsa^Dan

3rd Jul 03 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so u on bout putting that at the foot of ya bumper.... so its like.. a airlfow -> an induction kit, but your putting onto the orginal bit at the front of the airbox??

if so i think it would help a bit WOULD BE COOLOER!!!!!! the only thing is ... FLYS!
Corsa^Dan

4th Jul 03 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
Gambit

4th Jul 03 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

putting it at the foot of the bumper......aye thats all well & good till the car infront goes through a puddle & u suck 1/2 litre of water into your engine

just think about it.......common sense should prevail

drilled airbox & cold air ductin is all u need
Corsa^Dan

4th Jul 03 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm @ water idea.... yeh didnt realy think of that, how about just level with the bumper then?? wouldnt be so bad then
miles

4th Jul 03 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think a sealed airbox with a decent sealed feed to the grill is what you are after. Could make a nice fibreglass funnel or bell mouth for it if you like.
BeArDy

4th Jul 03 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the engine can only take so much air in, so no matter if u fit the biggest filter in the world the engine intakes are only one size

[Edited on 04-07-2003 by BeArDy]
Corsa^Dan

4th Jul 03 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could make a nice fibreglass funnel or bell mouth for it if you like.

ghiimmie a rough idea how!!
Adam_lee

4th Jul 03 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using a cone style shape on your ram to reduce the size of pipe will not increase pressure, if anything, it will decrease it. If you read up on gas laws you would find that P1V1 = P2V2, where P = preassure and V1= velocity. If you had an initial pressure (P1) of 14.7 psi (atmospheric pressure) being forced into the ram at 10 meter per second (V1) and you change the pipe diameter smaller the velocity of the air will increase. If your velocity increases to, for example 15 m/s then your new pressure would be 9.8 psi which is lower than atmospheric? This is quite possibly why the common cone filter goes from small to big. As long as you are geting enough air to suit your engine managment fuel curve and attain stoichiometric combustion, increasing the pressure probably won't do much anyway.
Corsa^Dan

4th Jul 03 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...confusing....
miles

4th Jul 03 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I made a mould out of md, covered it in cling film, then used a kibreglassing kit to make the shell.
TRL

4th Jul 03 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doubt the standard injectors could deliver enough fuel if, say, 20% more air than normal was being forced into the engine.
By the way, who cares about 'air pressure'? It's air volume that matters most, then temperature.
Tony
ps....I'm well drunk!
rollin

4th Jul 03 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is summin similar for the saxos its the green enclosed kit. it basically shields the air, its called a forced air kit but it doesnt force it, the pressure is the same as the engine can only suck a certain ammount of air in, the benefit is the temp of thew incoming air, it was shown to be around 10c cooler with this kit meaning denser air meaning more fuel needed equeling more power
Corsa^Dan

5th Jul 03 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

indeed i wanna make 1 :/ need some idea how too make the scoop!
Munchie

5th Jul 03 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use a empty tin of roses
Corsa^Dan

5th Jul 03 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

?!
Corsa^Dan

5th Jul 03 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

squash it??
jipp

5th Jul 03 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when creating a new intake pipe remember that every degree f turn it the intake pipe will actually restrict the air flow by creating turbulance. vauxhall used this principal to 'detune' the corsa engines by having 330 degrees of tun it the pipes
Corsa^Dan

5th Jul 03 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

y would they de-tune it??

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll