corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Cam Shafts?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cam Shafts?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
12th Dec 04 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any chance that 1 of my 2 cam shafts has worn itself down a bit... and thus either the air / exhaust cam isn't lifting as high as it should and thus causing the car to splutter (and sometimes almost conk out) at about 1500 rpm and also lack a lot of top end power, with the power band now trailing off at about 5100 rpm (rather than 5600 equalling peak power and the power band trailing at about 6k)?

Was suggested to me by someone the other day - and just wondered how likely it would be since my engine has only covered 54k miles and is a 1999 T reg 1.2 16v Sxi?

I have no engine management lights on and have replaced AFM's and ICV's and had no such improvement?

My top end (on the clocks has decreased greatly) - I used to be able to get 117 mph on the clocks, down hill when I made 81 bhp on the dyno... I now struggle to get 100 mph down hill!!!

Paul J
Anton2K3

12th Dec 04 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I too am suffering from this problem, well, the top end thing. It is possible for camshafts to wear down, but its unusuall. It happens when the hard outer metal lining on the cams wears throught to the softer cast metal, and thus wears down failry quick. Its usually due to a failing of the outer metal, possibly manufacturing fault.
Paul_J

12th Dec 04 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm... How do I go about getting someone to figure out what the actual problem is?

Vaux are rip off merchants and will put it on a diagnostic for £76 and tell me all is well...

Private Garage's will probably make up some bullshit and charge me a mint to get it fixed, when parts don't need changing at all and be left with a problem
AK

12th Dec 04 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plugs ok?
Red_SXi

12th Dec 04 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the cam wore down on one of my dads Corsa B driving school cars it made a terrible tapping noise, like an old fiesta. but that was really worn, the car still run fine though apart from the noise
Paul_J

12th Dec 04 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh ... Mine is very tappy at the moment... but doesn't drive fine.

Plugs have been changed and checked...
Paul_J

12th Dec 04 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Infact the last time I checked it the 4th cylinder was all brown and shit by the plug

The plug seemed loose and we tightened it back up...
Anton2K3

12th Dec 04 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Valve seats? If the valves are not seating correctly you will lose power. Loss of compression in the cylinder? worn poston rings...but then it would smoke.

New Poll