corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Induction kit

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Induction kit
Tribal

User status: Offline
16th Aug 04 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi i was wondering if n e 1 could advise me on what induction kit to get i have a 1.2 16v corsa i have thought about the BFO cone , K&N and pipercross i dont want to spend like £250 on a viper could n e 1 help me
Fraser Young

16th Aug 04 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get a panel filter and drill the standard airbox... (See FAQ section)
tiptoptim

16th Aug 04 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you do go for induction kit, dont go for the BFO. They sound good, but you will loose performance. Go for K&N or pipercross.
Adam_B

16th Aug 04 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id go for a K&N, think there about £65.

BFO are made by pipercross
topshot_2k
Banned

16th Aug 04 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

K&N coz it comes with air feed, and million mile warranty!! i got it and it sounds sweet, looks good and has got rid of flatspot i had
Tribal

16th Aug 04 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the input everyone i am gonna go for the K&N
Joff

16th Aug 04 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pipercross comes with a lifetime warranty...

Cotton gauze filters need cleaning more as they clog quicker - foam filters can hold more dirt before they start to lose efficiency.

Also when cleaning K&N, you have to use their oil - Pipercross can be cleaned out under the tap and re-oiled using the can supplied

miles

16th Aug 04 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont get an induction kit.
Joff

16th Aug 04 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't get a panel filter.

Tell you what, you can have my panel filter when I fit my temporary induction kit. Std airbox REALLY is shit.
blundey

17th Aug 04 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could do what ive just done to my mates car. Get a universal cone with cover so it sucks air in from the front.

You can modify this design to work like the viper by putting some wide ducting and sealing it to the top of the cone housing.

Ill see if i can get some pics up. But all in all it cost 18£ for the universal kit by race X and the ducting i pulled off an old tumble dryer.
blundey

17th Aug 04 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok you can pick up one of these for about £20.00:

Then to modify this so it works the same way the viper does [which is 200 quids worth of induction] All you have to do is put a large piece of ducting over the top of the cone and seal it with silicon. Position the ducting to the front of the car/grill. Now you have an induction that works the same way the viper does....just as loud if not louder....and no power loss.

Its actually better than my own and mine was £119.00
Joff

17th Aug 04 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An air filter should also do just that - filter.

No point having more air flow and massive power gains if you're letting through particles the size of peas.
blundey

17th Aug 04 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Joff i agree, but however the standard air filter is of poor quality. Most induction kits are built to Eu regulations and there for have to under go heavey testing before they are allowed to be sold to the public. So generally you dont have to worry about filteration.

The main concern with induction kits is that they are not enclosed and thus suck in hot engine bay air. So a well position induction kit, cold air feeds and alike will sort out any loss in performance or increase it depending on your setup.
Rob_sta

17th Aug 04 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a jetex panel filter

it does the job fine
blundey

18th Aug 04 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jetex are one of the most 'well fit' companys.
Joff

18th Aug 04 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by blundey
Joff i agree, but however the standard air filter is of poor quality. Most induction kits are built to Eu regulations and there for have to under go heavey testing before they are allowed to be sold to the public. So generally you dont have to worry about filteration.

The main concern with induction kits is that they are not enclosed and thus suck in hot engine bay air. So a well position induction kit, cold air feeds and alike will sort out any loss in performance or increase it depending on your setup.

Not any single induction kit is built to EU regulations!!! And there are no EU regulations regarding aftermarket air filters.
None of the Taiwanese crap is ever test, let along heavily test their products. Filtration is a real worry. I lose sleep about it.

broster
Premium Member

18th Aug 04 at 08:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just stick a sock in the pipe which leads to the air box, or do like joff and stick some pipercross foam in it
Joff

18th Aug 04 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
just stick a sock in the pipe which leads to the air box, or do like joff and stick some pipercross foam in it

A piece of decent foam would be better than using a random "pretty" filter, but you'd lose all trace of torque without a plenum chamber above it - induction kits slow down and straighten turbulent air and if the induction kit is good, clean air enters the engine....

Rob_sta

18th Aug 04 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

makes no sense that mate??? explain???
Joff

18th Aug 04 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Jetex don't make air filters.
blundey

18th Aug 04 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jetex make replacement air filters [panel replacment]. Which compared to other companies ive tried such as green.

Why would you stick a sock in the pipe or even foam? If you have a decent induction kit then this should not be needed as you are restricting air flow.

Joff i find it hard to believe that they will make an after market induction kit that costs say £50.00 that has the mass potential to ruin £10,000 worth of car. If that was the case there would be law suits left right and centre.

So there must be some kind of guidline or regulation they must use before a product can be released, otherwise trading standards will be all over them. Correct me if im wrong...i usually am.

This boring thread just got interesting

Joff

18th Aug 04 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
jetex make replacement air filters [panel replacment]. Which compared to other companies ive tried such as green.

Jetex do not manufacture any air filter products. They sell Jetex branded filters.

quote:
Why would you stick a sock in the pipe or even foam? If you have a decent induction kit then this should not be needed as you are restricting air flow.

Never use a sock and the foam in question was Pipercross triple laminate foam- more than capable of flowing enough air into the inlet manifold. I ran it like that for 2 miles to see what effect it would have on the car when compared to the Viper, a standard induction kit and a panel filter in the air box.

quote:

Joff i find it hard to believe that they will make an after market induction kit that costs say £50.00 that has the mass potential to ruin £10,000 worth of car. If that was the case there would be law suits left right and centre.

Tests have proven that there are induction kits on the market that allow dangerous levels of particles into the engine. All consumers want is BHP.

quote:

So there must be some kind of guidline or regulation they must use before a product can be released, otherwise trading standards will be all over them.

Not in the UK. TUV approval would be good, but we don't have that in the UK.

quote:
Correct me if im wrong...i usually am.

Just misguided

blundey

18th Aug 04 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find that shocking that they will allow us to by a inductin kit that has the potential to damage our cars.

Out of interest Joff which out of the ones you tested did you find to be better?
Joff

18th Aug 04 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Viper.

Still running with the panel filter at the moment but it's awful to drive.

Induction kit sounded the best and revs were free-er, but I sold the filter so needed to stick the airbox back on.
blundey

18th Aug 04 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok matey.....you should give my home made viper kit ago.....i call it diper.

Lets through no shit and keeps the air fresh and clean.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll