corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Is this possible? Computer network and interent sharing help.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is this possible? Computer network and interent sharing help.
Dav

User status: Offline
13th May 04 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll confess right now I'm pretty clueless about the technical side of computers. I've just got a new laptop and I'm looking for some technical help please. I don't really understand this.

Both machines have XP Home Edition on them and my dad is talking about buying a new hub/modem/router thing to connect the home PC downstairs and my laptop upstairs together in a sort of network so we can share the Broadband internet. He says both machines can be online at the same time from the same place with this. Is this possible? Can anyone explain it better than that?
I'd have though if both machine were online the connection speed will half, but maybe only if both machines are downloading things at the same time?

Does any of that make sence? I don't really understand what he's on about but I wouldn't have thought it was possible. Going by his past record of braking the home PC I'd like a 2nd opinion before I let him loose to fuck up my new laptop!!

Cheers.
GIBBS

13th May 04 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just get a wireless router with built in hub
plug the broadband into the router then put wireless card's in both the comps and away u go
Brett
Premium Member

13th May 04 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GIBBS
just get a wireless router with built in hub
plug the broadband into the router then put wireless card's in both the comps and away u go

i did this a couple of days ago. The linksys wireless stuff is excellent!!
Melville

13th May 04 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah mate its possible. The internet will run slower than if one computer is connected but like you said unless there using a canny bit of bandwidth then you wont notice it. What you want is a wireless modem router (about £60) and wireless PCI cards for you desktop PCs and a wirless card for your laptop and its just a case of setting up the workgroup and you'll be sorted
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
13th May 04 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dav
He says both machines can be online at the same time from the same place with this. Can anyone explain it better than that?
Um, you'll be on the internet, at the same time, both of you.

Connection speed would be half if you're both hammering the connection, regular web browsing you won't even notice it's shared. I share a connection with my neighbour, there's usually about 5-6 computers on a 512k link and its fine.
Colin

13th May 04 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much would this piece of kit cost
Ian
Site Administrator

13th May 04 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Router is about 50 quid, wireless card probably the same again maybe less.
Rebrabuk

13th May 04 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can set up a basic cabled 2 PC network for approx 25 quid...

2 network cards @ 10er each
1 cross over network cable @ 5er
Ian
Site Administrator

13th May 04 at 17:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but you still need to route the connection without tying a computer up and the laptop ideally would be wireless.

New Poll