corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Strange clonking noise.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Strange clonking noise.
bartoli666

User status: Offline
25th Mar 04 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drive a 95 M-reg corsa.
Ive had it lowered 40mm (g-max springs)
(I still have the standard shocks)
Everytime i brake firmly or when i turn (always on full lock, but quite often jusr ordinary turning) i get this clonking noise.
Ive had it the noise for quite a while now. I took my car to a garage today, and the mechanic said everything seemed alright, and said its probably the lowering springs...
So, could this be becuase i have the springs and not the appropriate shocks? or something else?
Any help or suggestions would be much appriecitated.
Also, has anyone else had this problem?
Cheers
-Andy
Drew
Banned

25th Mar 04 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cv joints?
mike_1.2LS96

25th Mar 04 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be the exhaust clonking the rear axle. Between the backbox and centre silencer. Mine did that without lowering.
Nath

25th Mar 04 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine stopped after i replaced the ball joints and track rod arms.
Adam-D

25th Mar 04 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nath how much were the trackrod ends and balljoints?

ps, trackrod ends are the bits on the end of the steering rack?
bartoli666

25th Mar 04 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate suggested ball joints. Im not sure where to take it to get it done. I duno which garage to go to, which will sort it out, and at a good price.
Im pretty sure it isnt the exhaust. It seems to be coming from the front left of the car, behind the wheel. maybe where the wheel is conected to the steering.
3CorsaMeal

25th Mar 04 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i get this when slowing down and turning into my drive is a hump in round, i reckon its something to do with steering rack or cv joints or track rods ends

if u have car stopped and wiggle steering left to right can u feel it knocking??

gets suspension fitted soon so will get em to look at it then and let people know..
Lazarus1

25th Mar 04 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm almost sure that it is the lowering springs that are causing the problem.Maybe they were not fitted right and now they are moving when you turn your steering wheel left/right.Think they don't sit properly in the shock absorber.
bartoli666

25th Mar 04 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When im stopped, if i put it full lock to the left, when i release it clonks really loud. The mechanic said its probably becuase i still have standard shocks and as the springs i have are much smaller, there is a bit of room, which is causing it to "clonk". It wasnt like it when i first had it lowered. It was after about 3 or 4 months. I live where there are loads of bumps on all the roads, which probably hasnt helped.
3CorsaMeal

25th Mar 04 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is on standard suspension still and i get clonking
3CorsaMeal

25th Mar 04 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do u have any probs when driving like, wheels tend to wobble a bit, and squirm when car bounce's?

mine feels terrible to drive
bartoli666

25th Mar 04 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when turning, when the wheels are straightening back to normal (after ive turned) it clonks. Also when i brake fairly hard, it clonks as the car is almost stopped. apart from the noise, everything else seems normal.
3CorsaMeal

25th Mar 04 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is random, sometimes it clonks, sometimes it don't, but it always knocks when i wiggle steering wheel

u sure u haven't just got something like induction kit loose etc???
Nath

25th Mar 04 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ball joints are well easy to fit!!!!!! All you need is a ball joint extractor from Halfords and a Haynes manual. I am not joking about how easy this task is!

Its worth a try, it stopped my clunking For the ball joints alone your looking at no more than £40-£50 quid for the pair, if that. Depends how new your car is, pre97 are nearly half the price Mine is a post97

New Poll