corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Had my car service today with Vauxhall and....................

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Had my car service today with Vauxhall and....................
Nath

User status: Offline
26th Jan 04 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it needs lots of new bits doing to it

Needs new ball joints
New lock barrel for the door
New brake drums
New brake shoes
New pads
New centre silencer
New pollen filter
New wiper blades
New brake fluid
and i think thats it

Fucking great
oakesylad

26th Jan 04 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

god!!! what year and mileage is your car !
Nath

26th Jan 04 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1998 S reg with 59,000 miles on the clock. Most of the stuff is wear and tear so its to be expected, but when its listed like that it looks like a lot.
Dave

26th Jan 04 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you add it up its not really as bad as it sounds, most of the stuff is fairly routine and cheap.

Lock barrel, ball joints and drums are a bit more of an arse though!
Nath

26th Jan 04 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lock barrel is due to thieving wankers trying to break into my car 18 months ago, i got it sorted but its not been right since. Ball joints i was expecting and drums arent too bad. My mates dad is a mechanic and said he'll do the drums for £50 plus parts.

I have a new cat back exhaust and 2 litre discs, pads, and callipers sitting in my garage so thats covered. With the brake change i'll put new brake fluid in so thats covered.

Wiper blades i bought on the way home from vaux.

Pollen filter is getting done at the same time as the ball joints and lock barrel, which is also when my MOT is taking pace.

Still an arse though
Dave

26th Jan 04 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its all little bits that you can never be arsed to do, I've got loads need doing but because they aren't major I've just been leaving em!

Ball joints are a proper doddle, 3 bolts to get em out.

Pollen filter is easy too, 5mins to get scuttle off.

I'd consider doing them yourself to save a bit of cash.
Nath

26th Jan 04 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would they be covered in the haynes Manual? If so i'm deffo doing them myself. I wasnt aware where the pollen filter was so that i'm now doing myself.
Dave

26th Jan 04 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, there is one bolt that clamps the ball joint in place then two that hold it to the bottom arm.

Pollen filter just looks like a paper air filter, if you take the scuttle off and the shield underneath you cant miss it.
Nath

26th Jan 04 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Superb. Vaux wanted £120 to replace the joints and £12 to replace the pollen filter.
Dave

26th Jan 04 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Robbing gits!
Siberia

26th Jan 04 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

honestly just have a look at the ball joints and u'll see how easy they are dont even need a haynes.
rob_watti

26th Jan 04 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sometimes the ball joints get stuck in the hub! can be a pain in the arse!!
Siberia

26th Jan 04 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can get a seperator for them

i prefare some gentle persuaion though (hammer)

[Edited on 26-01-2004 by Siberia]
Gavin
Premium Member

26th Jan 04 at 23:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bloody hell....not much to be done then!!!

pew pew pew pewwwww
ainsley_brader

26th Jan 04 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
My mates dad is a mechanic and said he'll do the drums for £50 plus parts.

Some mate
TOMAS

27th Jan 04 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ball joints are £36+vat per kit per side and that includes all the bolts/nuts im told. As they say its only three bolts so VERY easy but ensure they are tightened to the specific torque. Ive been thinking about changing mine this week after hearing the horror stories of others having them snap due to fatigue. My corsaB is 3 years old now, done 50K miles of which 40K has been lowered 60mm so maybe I should change them...

So is their play in yours then? Also im not sure but you may need to be re-tracked once the new ones are fitted? As for the center section, go for a straight-tru sebring for around £60, or get a standard alloyed one for around £25...

You should be able to get the drums done cheap (around £20 at my Mr Clutch center) but make sure you get Vaux drums (about £80 a pair) and vaux shoes as cheaper ones squeal and the drums tend to warp very easily. Only downer with the new drums is you'll have to get the bearing races swapped over - may be worth changing the rear bearings whilst they are at it as they are about £15 a set

[Edited on 27-01-2004 by TOMAS]
Miner

27th Jan 04 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

$36 bucks + vat for a ball joint? Burst the gaiter on mine changing the cv joint & had 2 replace it but it only cost me a tenner! Vauxhall wanted $243 + vat for the cv joint too!
broster
Premium Member

27th Jan 04 at 19:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has Ayrshire changed its currency mate? we use £ over in northampton!
infinitycorsa

27th Jan 04 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
1998 S reg with 59,000 miles on the clock. Most of the stuff is wear and tear so its to be expected, but when its listed like that it looks like a lot.

Mine just passed with 63 K on lol
Makarus

27th Jan 04 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its an arse but afterwards you feel much better in the fact that the car is sound, you know nothing dangerous or embarassing is going to happen.

Wouldnt cost much to get all that done, could do the majority if not all in a weekend yourself with a haynes manual.
Nath

27th Jan 04 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by infinitycorsa
quote:

Mine just passed with 63 K on lol

Wasnt an MOT matey

Cant pass or fail a service. I always get my service done before my MOT so i know what needs doing to make it pass frist time.
Nath

27th Jan 04 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ainsley_brader
quote:
My mates dad is a mechanic and said he'll do the drums for £50 plus parts.

Some mate

Seeing as vaux want more than double that as they charge £65 per hour for labour i'd say thats good
Nath

27th Jan 04 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
Ball joints are £36+vat per kit per side and that includes all the bolts/nuts im told. As they say its only three bolts so VERY easy but ensure they are tightened to the specific torque. Ive been thinking about changing mine this week after hearing the horror stories of others having them snap due to fatigue. My corsaB is 3 years old now, done 50K miles of which 40K has been lowered 60mm so maybe I should change them...

So is their play in yours then? Also im not sure but you may need to be re-tracked once the new ones are fitted? As for the center section, go for a straight-tru sebring for around £60, or get a standard alloyed one for around £25...

You should be able to get the drums done cheap (around £20 at my Mr Clutch center) but make sure you get Vaux drums (about £80 a pair) and vaux shoes as cheaper ones squeal and the drums tend to warp very easily. Only downer with the new drums is you'll have to get the bearing races swapped over - may be worth changing the rear bearings whilst they are at it as they are about £15 a set

[Edited on 27-01-2004 by TOMAS]

There is loads of play in mine apparently. When your driving move the steering wheel left and right gentley and see if it moves more one way then the other without the car moving in that direction. My car requires more to move it left than right, more as in more turns on the steering wheel.

Also i have a nice Piper cat back exhaust system sitting in my garage so thats the centre silencer taken care of.

I need new drums, shoes, and bearings apparently, according to Masterfit. Still looking in to that one at the moment. Got a few options

cheers for your help though matey ( I still havent fitted those brakes i purchased from you lazy git )
Miner

28th Jan 04 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
has Ayrshire changed its currency mate? we use £ over in northampton!

The £ sign wasnt working on the computer I was using the other day!

New Poll