corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Mav 3000's Soft Star Alloys thread

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mav 3000's Soft Star Alloys thread
Mav 3000

User status: Offline
17th Aug 03 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Rob, I'll look at the bolts tomorrow in the showroom.

Danny - thanks too! my dog's lovely, bit too much of a softie though for an alsatian cross!
and-m

17th Aug 03 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id recommend some Toyo 195/45/16s from mytyres.net, about 40 ish a pop inc delivery, bargain!
Dav

17th Aug 03 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wish I had Softstars. I love them wheels!
AdiSRI

17th Aug 03 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done mav, hope they are all ok for ya m8!
Mav 3000

17th Aug 03 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Adi and other folk!

I'm off to Vaux in the morning, I'll report back. theres one alloy refurb place about 30 miles from me who I'll try if the alloy dent is ok too.

On Mytyres, theres '03.03.2004' next to the proxies - which is what I want, I've emailed them and am waitin on whether thats their arrival date or something!

£40 for them is a bargain!!
cobra148

18th Aug 03 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It might be worthwhile trying the dented one on a balancing machine. Its difficult to tell from the pic, but theres a possibillity it could be buckled
Kris TD

18th Aug 03 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a much worse dent than that and the tyre sealed fine.
Kris TD

18th Aug 03 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vaux will obviously tell you you need a new one to try and get money, im 99% sure that it will be fine, it will balance out , its not that bad really.
if it does need replacing, sureely it would be better to just get one new rim and claim 25% of the cash back from the seller.
Mav 3000

18th Aug 03 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Kris and Cobra.

Went to Vauxhall Today, £140 for my service and MOT, £20 for diagnostics on my air bag problem, and £25 for locking wheel bolts.

They couldn't fit me in to look at the tyre, so I left.

I also needed a written quote for a brand new Electric Window Kit (this thins plaguing me!!) as I sold it, Royal Mail lost it, and need proof of cost. Vaux said they don't sell them.

Anyway, took my dented Alloy to Jeff Foulkes in Ibstock, Alloy refurbishment is £50 a wheel there, as they have to send them away. He didn't know if the tyre would seal on the dented one until it was tried with a tyre. He sells Toyo Proxes for £61 inc balancing ans fitted, and had them in stock.

got an email from Mytyres.net, they said Toyo's are out of stock until the new year at £41 each.

At this rate, Im gonna have to buy £61 toyo's (£247 for 4) and will have 2 wheels refurbished, and one hammered round again if needed!!

I hate cars
Makarus

18th Aug 03 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vauxhall are shit fo services.

Took mine in and paid £140 for a full service and MOT, same as you. They tested the car when it had no exhuast on knowing it would fail because it was being repaired for accident damage, they told me the handbrake cable was ready to snap, that was at the end of march I took it somewhere else and they passed it no problem and my cable aint snapped.

I now take my car to BMW for services because they are cheaper and do a better job. Also vauxhall supposedly changed the oil but a month after the service it ran out so I had to buy some more, proper little fucking monkeys at vauxhall.

Anyway mate, sorry about that. Is there a place near you called ETS, there are 2 near me and they just did me a good price on my new tyres so I would recommend them.
Mav 3000

18th Aug 03 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Makarus, Not heard of ETS but it's worth a look. I like haing a full Vauxhall Service History, but its costing me loads to keep it! Last service I had a I had a new back box on a 2yr old car as the old one was supposedly corroding from the inside. Part of the service was to 'check and correct' the anti-freeze level in the water, but they checked it, said it was too low, then wouldn't coreect it! I had to do it myself afterwards!

This is a differnet garage this time - one that charged me £95 to fit and replace a front light cluster.

I hate Vauxhall
Rob H

18th Aug 03 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mav 3000
one that charged me £95 to fit and replace a front light cluster.

£95, and you let them do it?!? You could have got a new headlamp from a scrappy for £25 at the most, more like £15, and then fit it yourself... theres only 2 bolts and a plastic clip. If your unlucky you'd break the clip, but its only about 25p from Vauxhall.
Kris TD

18th Aug 03 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

head light is 48 quid from vaux, so they chaged you that again to fit it, bastids. if u have trade club like moi they are 32 quid
Mav 3000

18th Aug 03 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wahts trade club and how do you get it? I'm giuessing I can't cos im just a joe public guy.

My headlamp was bumped out of position so i needed it alligning etc. This was highlighted before the service at the other dealershop but they chose not to bother doing it. It turned outthe clips had broke etc so I just asked Vauxhall to do it.

I had more money then, and perhaps less sense!
Kris TD

18th Aug 03 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my uncle owns a motor trade business, i get it through him.
Mav 3000

22nd Aug 03 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good news, the dented wheel sealed with no problems, It's now got a lovely new toyo Proxes wrapped around it.

this pic shows the good tyre. Two are in for refurbishing, they all will be fitted next Saturday!

Believe it or not the dog is the same as in the previous pic and the wheel is actual size!

My mum made me prove to her it will fit under the arch 'cos she thought it was for a Frontera!

Mav 3000

22nd Aug 03 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The dog is an Alsatian x Labrador and is caled "Sam"
dannycorsa c

22nd Aug 03 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

woof
Mav 3000

22nd Aug 03 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He can't stop sniffing my alloys!
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Aug 03 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's obviously got good taste.
Mav 3000

22nd Aug 03 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know! He sniffs his bum and eats grass
Screaming Vtec

22nd Aug 03 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not many Alloys are an Alloy finish - ie most are painted, what you are seeing underneath is the filler primer.

As for the dent in the rim - As long as it balances out you'll be fine.

theres a place called abaco tyres (they have a website) that charge £28 per rim to straighten them.

I wouldnt advise hitting them with a rubber hammer, they are a lot stronger than you think (when it comes to bending them back) - best to get someone to heat it and bend it back.
Mav 3000

23rd Aug 03 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks S.V - Everytihng seems to be working out ok with them so far.

I'll be posting a pic or three when they are fitted to the car next Saturday

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll