corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » How does a new inlet manifold increase power?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How does a new inlet manifold increase power?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
5th Jan 04 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey I was looking at the dbilas flowtec manifold for the Corsa B 1.2 16v Sxi - which as proven by blackula takes the power from 75 to 105 bhp (on a standard corsa - with chip).

I was just wondering how it works exactly? why it gives such a great power increase?

is it because usually on the B - the air has to turn 90 degree's down through the inlet manifold, then another 90 degrees to actually flow into the engine ... where as this the air flows in straight and goes straight in?

Anyone got any drawings / diagrams / pictures of the internals of one of these (or similar?) or can actually explain what features make it so good? i.e. are the branches to each inlet bigger? does the actual main tube section have to be a certain size etc?

Paul J

[Edited on 05-01-2004 by Paul_J]
Greasemonkey

5th Jan 04 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is as simple as the air travels a shorter distance so has still got velocity which gives it mass so you cram more air in, easy
Kris TD

5th Jan 04 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just like cranking up turbo boost sort of.
Paul_J

5th Jan 04 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so basically the way it works is a smooth box, which connects straight into the inlets?

thats all? surely there's gotta be more in it than that? how come some give more power than others?
Greasemonkey

5th Jan 04 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is a real simple thing, i was so suprised how simple they are its just an empty box nothing cleaver inside
Greasemonkey

5th Jan 04 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some are better than others cos with some you replace the lower manifold too, some do have slightly smoother internals, but its just slightly different designs, the lexmaul keeps the original inlet route but uses a ram effect the others use velocity they all gain 20ish BHP the Lexmaul only 15
Greasemonkey

5th Jan 04 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with that dbilas your getting lower manifold as well
Paul H

5th Jan 04 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they do these for the corsa c as well don't they?do they give the same sort of bhp as well.just wondering coz i was gonna trade my car for sri corsa but if i can get 100bhp out of it i might as well do that instead
MikeH

5th Jan 04 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually the way a tuned inlet manifold works is to be the correct length for which the air will resonate at a certain optimum rpm.

When the air resonates you get the maximum amount of air entering the cylinders.

Fraser Young

5th Jan 04 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chewbaccaman
they do these for the corsa c as well don't they?do they give the same sort of bhp as well.just wondering coz i was gonna trade my car for sri corsa but if i can get 100bhp out of it i might as well do that instead

corsa C, z12xe i/manifold = +23bhp
Bout 800 quid
Paul H

5th Jan 04 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheaper than buying a sri corsa then
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

5th Jan 04 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chewbaccaman
cheaper than buying a sri corsa then

yep
Paul_J

5th Jan 04 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a package too - its including a chip, possibly cams too.

cheers MikeH - I knew there was more to it than just a box.
Mav 3000

5th Jan 04 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much are they? How much to fit?
Fraser Young

5th Jan 04 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mav 3000
How much are they? How much to fit?

between 700-1300 quid, DIY job,
usually require Unichipping to give full effect however...
AK

5th Jan 04 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and then you will need to rev the tits off the 1.2 to use that power
Mav 3000

5th Jan 04 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so a 1.6 transplants not only cheaper, but would give better performance across the rev range and roughly the same if not better bhp - right?
Ant

5th Jan 04 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a lexmaul inlet on my 1.4 16v You would be amazed at the difference it has made mine has chip, viper induction kit and exhaust manifold. Went from 90 to 110 BHP
corsa-sxi

5th Jan 04 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the £800 for the corsa c inlet manifold, does that include fitting and the cams and chips or not?
Nath

5th Jan 04 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do insurance companies sting you when you tell them you have one of these? Would like one for my 14xe with other bits and bobs to get more from it.
Greasemonkey

5th Jan 04 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there aint more to it than just a box, I HAVE GOT ONE, its an aluminium cast box, thats it, with one hole in one end for the throttle body, and 4 holes in the bottom that go to the lower inlet manifold, thats it apart from 2 vacum pipes, the Lexmaul uses resonation cos its a ram effect inlet the mantzel velso etc i thought just use the simpilest way to get air into an engine, in a straight line and with the greatest velocity there is no time for it to slow down
Paul_J

6th Jan 04 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the dbilas flowtec one - I believe comes as a package, so you get the inlet manifold and a dastek chip that they map and run on their rolling road to suit your car.

Mav 3000, your correct, you could probably get a 1.6 16v for about the same cost as the package of chip + inlet manifold ... both leaving it at around 110 bhp with cat back exhaust systems.

The 1.6 16v should probably have more mid range power - but the fact that the 1.2 16v with the inlet + chip would be mapped would possibly mean this would have a smoother torque curve.

Adam K is right - you'd have to rev it hard to get it to shift, but you do already - and providing you don't use cams the power range should be the usual 3, 3.5ish thousand RPM onwards. So wouldn't be too different.

Here's a few reasons why the 1.2 16v with this package may be better than a 1.6 16v transplant

Ok, number 1) The power is gonna be pretty much the same so no differences there, but because its mapped to your car it may be smoother.

2) If you have low mileage like a lot of 1.2 16v owners do (especially corsa C owners) most will not want to dump their 20,000 mile engine for a 70,000 + mile 1.6 16v unit. This is not only for losing value on the car as a whole, but the 1.6 16v might be a bit fucked - with my Sxi atm, I've raced 3 Gsi's - 1 down santa pod, I beat, 1 down dual carriage way near me I beat and 1 I was just following but was pretty much sat on its ass.

This tells you one thing, either my cars super fast, or all these 1.6 16v's aren't running at their best!!

3) Following on from the value of your car thing, some people who are looking for a new car, may be scared away when buying because its a 'engine conversion', the 1.2 16v could be set back to standard and the inlet / chip combo sold onto someone else - I know I'd definately be interested in a second hand package!!

4) Insurance. Some insurance companies won't like the fact its a engine converted car, even if they do - your premium will now be the 1.6 16v group - however, with the inlet manifold most insurance companies only add 10% to insurance - so you have your existing 1.2 16v group 3 insurance with 10% added (use the corsasport Adrian Flux discount and its no increase). Or you could do what James (essexracer) has done, and ring up your insurance company saying that your inlet manifold was cracked and you replaced it with a cheaper improved one.

5) It's just the fact that at the end of the day its still a 1.2 - If a 1.6 Gsi beats a VTR - so what? If a 1.2 beats a VTR thats pretty cool.

... I wish dbilas (or regal autosport) would offer me some sort of sponsership (just a cheap package) - as I promote their products enough

Of course this is only if your happy with 110 bhp - if your planning on having a really fast car - your pretty much hitting the limit around 110 bhp for not too much money on the 1.2 16v - If you want anymore, drop a 1.6 16v in and then get a inlet for that etc - or drop a 2.0 in.

But most people with 1.2 16v's bought them as they could not get insured on 1.6's +, most 1.2 16v's I looked at cost a lot more than Gsi's to buy

Thanks,

Paul J

[Edited on 06-01-2004 by Paul_J]
Paul_J

6th Jan 04 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

P.S. anyone on here actually work at regal? they never return my emails (or my email account is messed up)
Trotty

6th Jan 04 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They didn't reply to my e-mail either dude, sent it aaages ago now
broster
Premium Member

6th Jan 04 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i no what ur saying about tuning a 1.2 paul_j, as i often thought id just tune my 1.4 sport, but iv done that to an extent now and just bored of the power, so im trying to get money together for a 1.6 16v, all the mods on my 1.4 can be swopped over apart from my superchip, but i belive if i get a uni chip on my ecu it may work may be wrong tho! end of the day the 1.2 16v lump is good for what it is, but dont expect too much fro mit, the 1.6 leaves you with loads more options ok the insurance is more but itll be worth it!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll