corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Is there any point in me fannying about with a C16XE when.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is there any point in me fannying about with a C16XE when.....
Daimo B

User status: Offline
28th Nov 03 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by royvious
Im not into the throttle bodies because i set out to make a car similar to the type r civic for a little less money. I didnt want a real lairey valver which would have put me in a different league to the honda. I just wanted to make sure that i had a fresh engine and box and that cost over £1200 alone. The next step was to match the spec of the type r by modernising the red top. It was very expensive time for me.The grp N spec matched the requirements. Thatch at EMS in aylesbury rebuilt the bottom end and gear box and fitted the unit along with 16 v brakes all round and psx spax kit with 35mm springs. The head was given to my best freind steve who is an engine builder for the world rally cars.cosworth designed the head.Some units were made at cosworth and some by vaux/opel.only difference coscast has a stronger heater matrix connection on side of head.Built to same internal design. Steve gave it the works.All new parts and an amazing port and polish to let the thing breathe!Intenals were standard genuine parts.As the stock injection was being used the standard parts were strong enough to do the job.
A freind went to the pv show last year and he said that alot of the 16 v conversions were not as well built as my 2.0.
He saw a head on a stand and the port and polish didn't come up to scratch. Next step in the summer is to lighten and balance the flywheel and crank and call it a day. I need to find out what she'll do the quater mile in! Its a street sleeper with dark grey monza 15'' wheels and standard body version 2. The Only give away is the exhaust note and large 16v brakes. The rest is how it left luton

LArge 16v brakes? U mean the ones that are the same diameter 256mm as the GSi caliper only 3mm wider. I myself have a rear disc convesion an V6 calipers running 288mm discs.

Only difference is what ont eh Coscast heads???? So nothing about bigger valves and clearences??

Polish, again, prooving that "your mate" isn't quite sure what he's doing. Polishing the engine isn't a good idea. Im not going to explain it all as to why as you obviously are not prepared to listen.

Group N stuff can be bought from courtenay, this includes cams, exhaust, chip etc. All the stuff you have bought can be got very very easily.
royvious

28th Nov 03 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

youre right about the bigger valves ,clearences,and valve guides because there are 2 sorts. the 1 for the coscast and the one for the vauxhall/opel.
mk2 gte was mapped to 153 bhp standard and mk3 gsi astra,cav and calibra red tops were mapped to 147 bhp. These are the figures from Vauxhall.
There was no difference between coscast bhp and non coscast bhp.it all depended what motor they came from. the lesser bhp was on the later models which ran a slightly different bosch motronic system.I think it was 2.7. .
If you dont Know about porting and polishing. It involves enlarging inlet and outlet ports exactly, and making them dead smoothe using special drill bits.
my mate at pro drive has built tommi m's and peter salbergs subaru world rally car engines so i think he knows what he's doing some how! He is an engine builder for grp A rally cars.
James R

29th Nov 03 at 05:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry dude it's on the down-low till it's running and I'm happy with phase 1, then as money allows, altered spec turbo and more rebuilding and ultimate goal of 250Lbs. just wait for summer after next.
royvious

29th Nov 03 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That will be one hell of a quick motor. You must be spending alot of money on it. How much does a turbo conversion for 1.4 cost? What sort of compression are you running ?and also are you runnin Low compression pistons? What parts dont need changing in this conversion? I would like to see it when it is runnin!
and-m

29th Nov 03 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
quote:
Originally posted by royvious
Im not into the throttle bodies because i set out to make a car similar to the type r civic for a little less money. I didnt want a real lairey valver which would have put me in a different league to the honda. I just wanted to make sure that i had a fresh engine and box and that cost over £1200 alone. The next step was to match the spec of the type r by modernising the red top. It was very expensive time for me.The grp N spec matched the requirements. Thatch at EMS in aylesbury rebuilt the bottom end and gear box and fitted the unit along with 16 v brakes all round and psx spax kit with 35mm springs. The head was given to my best freind steve who is an engine builder for the world rally cars.cosworth designed the head.Some units were made at cosworth and some by vaux/opel.only difference coscast has a stronger heater matrix connection on side of head.Built to same internal design. Steve gave it the works.All new parts and an amazing port and polish to let the thing breathe!Intenals were standard genuine parts.As the stock injection was being used the standard parts were strong enough to do the job.
A freind went to the pv show last year and he said that alot of the 16 v conversions were not as well built as my 2.0.
He saw a head on a stand and the port and polish didn't come up to scratch. Next step in the summer is to lighten and balance the flywheel and crank and call it a day. I need to find out what she'll do the quater mile in! Its a street sleeper with dark grey monza 15'' wheels and standard body version 2. The Only give away is the exhaust note and large 16v brakes. The rest is how it left luton

LArge 16v brakes? U mean the ones that are the same diameter 256mm as the GSi caliper only 3mm wider. I myself have a rear disc convesion an V6 calipers running 288mm discs.

Only difference is what ont eh Coscast heads???? So nothing about bigger valves and clearences??

Polish, again, prooving that "your mate" isn't quite sure what he's doing. Polishing the engine isn't a good idea. Im not going to explain it all as to why as you obviously are not prepared to listen.

Group N stuff can be bought from courtenay, this includes cams, exhaust, chip etc. All the stuff you have bought can be got very very easily.

The disks are 4mm wider and also the caliper uses a larger piston than the Corsa GSi ones.
Ant

29th Nov 03 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have spoken to Velos in depth about the subject of 1.6 vs 2.0
What they had to say made a lost sence to me they showed me a graph of a 1.6 (x16xe) all they had done was fit ther induction sytem and engine management it had 147 BHP and a lot less weight than the 2.0.

Yes this work cost the same if not a little more than the 2.0 But is much more insurance friendly and your starting with an engingeyou know.

When buying a astra GTE for £500 you are buying a car that is prob about 10 years old! do you really know the full history of the engine. You could just be buying somebody el;ses problems.

Im sure a lot of you will disagree and tell me you have had no problems with your secondhand 100k mile red tops but you got admit there is an element of risk there.
ianofbhills

29th Nov 03 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey benn

it all boils down to budget. Yes the 1.6 is better suited to the corsa and will have the better handling but to get it to the power where it will be quicker then the 2.0 costs serious wonga hence why there are so many 2.0 corsa's.

If you want to do things properly go for the 1.6 and spend squillions on tuning it

besides those "valvers" (2.0 litre) are commen as muck
Greasemonkey

30th Nov 03 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a C16 XE GSI and thrown alot of money at the engine, its just had a full re-build so the engine is Mint and has been modded, I have spent about 2.5K on it that includes the rebuild it only very slightly slower than a valver up to about 100mph then the valver will pull away, wish i had gone for the C20XE but i had recent money problems and had to have a re-build instead, budget wouldnt strech that far, but hey if i throw another £1000 at it i should catch up with the valver untill it pulls away LOL, bring on the twisty stuff then i will have chance
royvious

30th Nov 03 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daimo can you tell us about you' re 2.0 16v. Did you just throw an old engine in or did you have it completly overhauled? What sort of spec you runnin?
Daimo B

1st Dec 03 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a 20XE. Took it out of an Astra GTE. A rebuild was on the cards, but then i decided not to bother, replaced the clutch and altenator, gave it a service and put it in.

No point replacing parts if theres no need to yet. Specs a 20XE, straight through 2" bore system, piperX Viper induction system. 15.2 1/4 after only 3 attemps and fully kitted, on 16"s etc. This should come down into the 14's im hoping for 2004.

What your saying is correct, but they are just as good as each other. Both can be tuned highly, both are good engines, but given 8500rpm and 250bhp of 2.1 16v, and 215bhp, 9000rpm 1.6 16v, i'd much rather have the 1.6 on throttle bodies.

And-M, 2.0 16v brakes are 256x24mm
GSi discs are 256x21mm.

[Edited on 01-12-2003 by Daimo B]
Andy

1st Dec 03 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
Both can be tuned highly, both are good engines, but given 8500rpm and 250bhp of 2.1 16v, and 215bhp, 9000rpm 1.6 16v, i'd much rather have the 1.6 on throttle bodies.

[Edited on 01-12-2003 by Daimo B]

I'd rather have a 1.6 running 250bhp and 10,000rpm. Can anyone lend me 3 grand for a steel crank, double injectors and ECU that can run staged injection?
miles

1st Dec 03 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a 14.0 1/4 time with 16's, road tyres with my 1.6 16v. As far as I know I own the fastest 1.6 nova in the country (that has run the 1/4 mile) I dont know if that goes for corsa's as well?

The fastest recorded time for any n/a astra gte (on mig) was 13.82 with a 230 odd bhp c20xe, I reckon I can beat that next year.

If you can beat my time I'll be so impressed.
Tom

1st Dec 03 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Miles what power is yours running?

Andy yours should be alot quicker since the saxo day isn't it?
miles

1st Dec 03 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It made 147.9bhp @ wheels and 199.4bhp @fly at a recent rolling road day. Although I doubt that fly figure is right, its probably about 180bhp....
Daimo B

1st Dec 03 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Miles, when are u gonna get them bloody rad covers sorted?
Jimmypop

1st Dec 03 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SO done properly how much is a 2.0 conversion gonna cost?

How much is a decent 1.6 set up gonna cost to get equivalent power?

Theres also the issue of suspension/brakes.

miles

1st Dec 03 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daimo, I need to speak to the guy that fitted my prototype, but he's not been online for a while.

I'll chase it up.
Andy

1st Dec 03 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom D

Andy yours should be alot quicker since the saxo day isn't it?

Yes, particularly in gear now I have that close ratio box. Need some stickier tyres if I'm to get some good 1/4 mile times next year
miles

1st Dec 03 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sticky tyres are for cheats! Road tyres all the way!
Andy

1st Dec 03 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stickier I said - not sticky. You try launching at 4500-5000rpm on Toyo Proxes
miles

1st Dec 03 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed a 2.339 0-60ft time with toyo proxes on a 14.068 run.

Do you have a LSD?
Daimo B

1st Dec 03 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
Daimo, I need to speak to the guy that fitted my prototype, but he's not been online for a while.

I'll chase it up.

Good lad.

PS, Andy didn't have a LSD, but i think he has now.
Bennn

1st Dec 03 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ianofbhills
hey benn

it all boils down to budget. Yes the 1.6 is better suited to the corsa and will have the better handling but to get it to the power where it will be quicker then the 2.0 costs serious wonga hence why there are so many 2.0 corsa's.

If you want to do things properly go for the 1.6 and spend squillions on tuning it

besides those "valvers" (2.0 litre) are commen as muck

if i had motor like mr ofbhills id be a happy chappy (when it goes anyway )
userstephl

1st Dec 03 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my ecotec 2.0 16v is not shit
userstephl

2nd Dec 03 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also it does not burn oil like the red top

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll