corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  73    74    75    76    77    78    79  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
AK

User status: Offline
26th Jan 15 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brake stopper is one of the first things I would do. Well worth the money
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

26th Jan 15 at 23:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
How do I do that Flaffy? My battery diagnosis skills goes as far as licking the terminals.

Switch everything off in the car. Disconnec the negative terminal off the battery. Then put your multimeter (on ohms setting) across from the negative terminal on the battery to the negative battery lead. So your essentially completing the circuit again with a multimeter.

Should get a reading, about 0.6 ohms or something. Then as the ecu and everything shuts down, it should go to 0 or there abouts.

[Edited on 26-01-2015 by FlaFFy_91]

[Edited on 01-02-2015 by FlaFFy_91]
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jan 15 at 23:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Flaffy, will give that a go tomorrow.

Got my first trackday of 2015 booked, 31st March at Oulton Park. Hope to get out before then though.

Brake calipers up next...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Feb 15 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Smallest tweak ever today.

Had a smidge of play in the accelerator pedal since I bought the car, tightened the throttle cable up today. Much better.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Feb 15 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick vid of launch control and 0-60. Could probably do it in second if I say hello to the limiter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E2eFKCibxw&feature=youtu.be

4.2secs from what I can figure out from media player

Car felt like it was holding back in second, obviously hard to gauge on launches like that so did some 20mph + pulls afterwards and it definitely felt a bit tardy in second, but perked up again in third.

Doesn't seem to be clutch, as the revs don't rise disproportionally to the speed of the car.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
whitter45

8th Feb 15 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that looks very quick

doesn't look like its hanging around in second
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Feb 15 at 08:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really cannot wait to try some launches in the dry.

On the way to work this morning, had another couple of pulls from 2k rpm in second and it's definitely holding back in second gear. Third seems like it's perked up again.

I'm due to go see my mapper at his local rolling road soon to get my promised print-out, so I'm sure we can do a more accurate diagnoses there.

Could be anything, I just hope it's not injector related as they're the only bit I can't easily return as I bought them in the US!

Probably just plugs or something.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

9th Feb 15 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks and sounds soo much faster than mine lol (and so it should with the money spent)

cant wait to have a poke in mine this weekend, havent been home in 3 weeks and havent seen it since i dropped it off for a service lol
jbguitarking

9th Feb 15 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds great man, usually I'm not keen on the Subaru grumble but yours sounds amazing, goes good too!

[Edited on 09-02-2015 by jbguitarking]

[Edited on 09-02-2015 by jbguitarking]
Brett
Premium Member

9th Feb 15 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something wrong with you if you don't like the sound of Imprezas imo
3CorsaMeal

9th Feb 15 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never really heard one on full chat, you normally just get someone driving around a town at 15mph in 4th gear making the grumbling noise, which is a nice sound but i often wonder what it would be like constantly hearing it while driving.

Must be a bit like it is for Rolf Harris's cell mate, if Rolf is allowed a digeriedoo (sp)
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Feb 15 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks gents, Rolf Harris comment particularly means alot.

It was one of my goals when chosing exhaust components.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

10th Feb 15 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DCCD open or locked on the launch or in Auto?

Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Feb 15 at 07:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About 70% Open, tried fully open and I was about a second slower to 60 and left about 30yards of tyre on the road

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

11th Feb 15 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Never really heard one on full chat, you normally just get someone driving around a town at 15mph in 4th gear making the grumbling noise, which is a nice sound but i often wonder what it would be like constantly hearing it while driving.

Must be a bit like it is for Rolf Harris's cell mate, if Rolf is allowed a digeriedoo (sp)

i never got bored of the sound

looks like it goes well fonzy, well played
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Feb 15 at 17:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been away a couple of days, left car at work.

Picked it up tonight, drove home - got onto the bypass and gave it some welly in second. Instead of it holding back a bit, the power completely cut out (feels like when I got fuel surge round Blyton). Backed off a bit, tried same in third - same shit - violent cut in power.

Hmmmm...

Cruised home, popped ze bonnet and quite quickly found a possible problem:

Small slit in the vacuum hose that tells the fuel pressure regulator its' pressure reference.

A bit giddy that I thought I'd found it, I whipped some scissors out and chopped the final inch of hose and reconnected.

Went back out, no more violent cuts in power but still feels really dull in second - and now also a bit in third too.

I think jobs for the weekend are to get all the vacuum hoses off the car, and closely inspected in the daylight.

I'll clean out the boost solonoid, and check all plugs and coils for anything obvious.

Grrr, well annoying - but seems I may be able to get on the RR with my mapper next week which is the best environment to inspect and diagnose, just want to rule out anything easy before then.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Feb 15 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got myself a replacement fuel pump. The SWRD 340lph one I had was brand new when all the work was done to the car, but I've never been happy with it.

It doesn't fit a regular filter sock, which means the Spec C anti-surge box won't go on, and the bracket needed bending to fit it on properly.

I got myself a Deatschwerks DW301 pump from AS Performance and it arrived less than 12 hours after ordering!

Got an early start this morning, though I'm getting quite efficient at removing the fuel pump now!

Depressurised system, then hoses off:

Old pump out:

New one being fitted, plug and play on the wiring:

Got the car all buttoned up, primed the pump and checked for leaks. Spot on.

I've had a secondary "issue" in which my fuel pipes under the passenger sill will rattle when the car firsts starts up and fuel pressure is building. I get the feeling it's my FPR valve rattling but can't be sure, I was half hoping the new fuel pump would fix that. Alas, it didn't.

Fired the car up, left it running whilst I tidied up and kept monitoring for leaks - everything seems dry.

Took it out, and I'm happy to say that it now pulls strongly in all gears again

Talked to the guys who did all the work on my car that made me realise something... I unhooked the battery whilst doing the pump swap, and as a result the ECU will have reset. There is a chance that my old pump was actually fine - but the ECU reset (after fixing the bad vac hose) is what actually fixed my car...

Will still try my luck returning the SWRD pump though.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

14th Feb 15 at 16:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work Kyle! At least you've sorted it even if that might not have been the cause

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Feb 15 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Darryl, been out in the car this afternoon and it's most definitely back to health - what a car

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Feb 15 at 23:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a day arranged on a Dyno today with Andrew Carr (who maps my car).

His local RR is in Warton - t'other side of the country so had a nice drive out for a couple of hours this afternoon.

Arrived about an hour late due to traffic, but no drama - got the car strapped down on the very cosy dyno setup that they've got at TEG Sports.

After filling Andrew in on all my fuel pump/vac hose exploits - he got to work and before long the car was doing its first pull. Made 378bhp.

If you scroll back a few pages you'll probably find me hoping for closer to 400, but expecting around 380 - so happy days.

Andrew hopped out and indicated on the screen that it was running quite rich, and he recalls from the road mapping that he had to "artificially" rich it up as it was too lean back then - adding weight to the theory that the old pump was indeed naff, and the new pump was now over fuelling.

He then spent an hour or so tweaking the fuelling back into line, with the subsequent pulls being:

391bhp
395bhp
and finally resting on 398.6, with 362ft/lbs torque (gained about 30ft/lbs during the mapping today).

Needless to say, very happy with that - he did suggest that a lesser person could perhaps manipulate a 400bhp print out, but really no need for that

Drive home was fun, the extra 20bhp is definitely noticable... or perhaps mainly the torque gains - but another welcome performance boost, and a clean bill of heath is a bonus

I think this graph comparison is fun, this is my first RR run weeks after buying the car. The peak torque is about 250rpm earlier but tails off much quicker. This old-school turbo I've got really isn't too bad at all IMO.

Dyno video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaFPGJKdT88&feature=youtu.be

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

17th Feb 15 at 01:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure your names is Townsend? No?

Impressive figures indeed. 400bhp would make for a nice graph and bragging rights though

I imagine this is a bit of a weapon though and plenty more power than I could ever dream of having!
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Feb 15 at 03:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well spotted on the garage name, but my name is actually Townend (no S), so even bloody better

I never twigged that TEG stood for that, even saw a sign for "Town End Garage" in the village where it is and thought "nope, wrong one" and drove past "

To quote Mr Carr, "on another day it'll make 400" - so I'll just need to cram in some RR days before the weather warms up

It is rather good fun to drive, fastest thing I've ever driven by quite a margin.

Did 8 hours in my bosses Range Rover Sport last week, as a reference having an extra 110bhp and 100ft/lbs - I think mine could give it a run for its money, though his will rattle a fair bit less

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

17th Feb 15 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having 320 in my classic must be near enough the same feeling I should imagine. I remember literally destroying an Astra VXR and knowing how quick they are as standard it felt good miss that feeling
Wrighty

18th Feb 15 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Impressive mate - what next?
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Feb 15 at 09:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
Impressive mate - what next?

Refurb brake calipers and get some new pads in ready for Oulton next month.

Got three sets of wheels too so need to decide what I'm doing there.

I may switch the exhaust cat-back to give me some more headroom with noise warnings on trackdays.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  73    74    75    76    77    78    79  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0354149 seconds