corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » difference in engines?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author difference in engines?
miles

User status: Offline
7th Oct 03 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not worth bothering with tbh.

Just checked epc, the valves are the same on the x14xe, x16xe and c16xe.
ainsley_brader

7th Oct 03 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M4tt
there's nothing wrong with the X16XE, the C16XE is just better.

But which is more reliable i,d sooner have an x16xe ecotec with map sensor than a c16xe ecotec engine with air flow meter that uses as much oil as it does petrol.
Yes both are ecotec there is no pre ecotec.

ainsley_brader

7th Oct 03 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
C16 XE Far better than the X16 XE, if you did the same mods to both engines the C16 XE Would gain more power as a percentage, i have read about a corsa GSI with C16 XE engine, it had a mantzel power box, exhaust, filter, manifold and chip and it kicked out 161BHP, if ya put that on a X16 XE i am sure it wouldnt be anywhere near that, a girl owned the car too, still does i think

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
That would be Donna's GSi, the pink one. the X16XE would probably be at around 145bhp with those mods.

I can't see how identical mods on near identical engines that start of only 3bhp apart would end up 16bhp different.
Greasemonkey

7th Oct 03 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know its strange to get that sort of power from them mods but the C16 XE is unpredictable with mods they always seem to gain more over the X16 XE, read any magazine article on the two engines and they always say the C16 XE is far superior and does have valves 80% the size or its bigger brother the C20 XE
just quoting what has been proved and written about
miles

8th Oct 03 at 07:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think the c16xe will see 13bhp more with the same mods....

If the c16xe has valves 80% the size for the c20xe then so does the x14xe and x16xe.
Cybermonkey

8th Oct 03 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Miles, there seems to be something else about the two engines that differ, that we are not aware of. Yes the C16XE and X16XE have the same size valves, but is the bore and stroke identical? Also, why does Haynes claim that the GSi built after 1995, was fitted with the F13 gearbox?!?
miles

8th Oct 03 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe the bottom ends are identical.

Haynes are simply wrong, wrong info source, who knows!
Cybermonkey

8th Oct 03 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought Haynes would be dead accurate with info like that.
Greasemonkey

8th Oct 03 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cybermonkey is right about haynes being wrong, i looked it up last night and found an article in TV about the C16 XE and the X16 XE and it claimed the C16 XE has better head ports than the X16 XE and also said this is one of the reasons why the C16 XE gains MORE power over the X16 XE
look just repeating what i have read
miles

8th Oct 03 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont debate anything you just said.
ffls

8th Oct 03 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After porting the head and increasing the CR and get rid of the EGR, the difference will be 0 bhp
Oh, and replacing the ehxaust manifold. That's the reason why after this mods Mantzel quotes a difference of 5 bhp with the highest spec-175 bhp and 170 bhp.
miles

9th Oct 03 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do mantzel do for a quoted 175bhp?
Greasemonkey

9th Oct 03 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think they have their own mantzel cams, exhaust, chip and the power box
Greasemonkey

9th Oct 03 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seems a hell of allot you wouldnt get that with Throttle bodies would ya miles
miles

9th Oct 03 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll never get 175bhp with cams, chip, exhaust and powerbox. You'll never get 175bhp with standard management.....
ffls

9th Oct 03 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

175 BHPINCLUDES 280º CAMS, PORTED HEAD, CUSTOM CHIP, EXHAUST AND MANIFOLD and a lot more hardware
Until now their quoted power seems ok, and are verified by the TUV...
They also quote 190 for an enlarged 1,8 engine X16XE
TUV approved
Daimo B

9th Oct 03 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello all

Righty, i'll keep clear of the arguements and give my opinions.

A good friend of Donnas works for Vauxhall. He has worked their since he was 16, hes now in his mid/late 20's and knows everything about all vauxhalls.

He has a X16XE powered GSi, and has driven Donnas C16 powered GSi and instantly said there was a power difference. Donnas car just seemed so much faster and picked up better.

Donnas engine is pushing 161bhp @ 7519rpm. Many people have doubted it, but it's been on various RR before and after the mods, and at worst it can only be 155bhp. And considering the install/leather/17"s etc, well, lets just say up to 100mph its not that much slower than my 2.0!!!

C16 was originally designed with 150bhp with different cams and inlet manifold. Cams were changed to make the original engine more drivable and fuel efficient. If the engines running well, and you find the right combination (note the C16 Mantzel box comes with the lower manifold as well) then theres no reason why 150bhp can't be obtained.

Greasemonkey

9th Oct 03 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what i am hoping for, putting a re-built C16 XE in after me holiday with lightened flywheel, ported & polished head, regound and balanced crank, new pumps pulleys etc, pisons have valve pockets, new rings etc, its gonna have my mantzel power box from my existing C16 XE, my magnex exhaust, filter, and a superchip, should be close with that, then its gonna be manifold and them maybe cams fingers crossed
morty

9th Oct 03 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chuck money at the x16xe and you have 250bhp as per SBD.

Darren
Daimo B

10th Oct 03 at 07:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
Thats what i am hoping for, putting a re-built C16 XE in after me holiday with lightened flywheel, ported & polished head, regound and balanced crank, new pumps pulleys etc, pisons have valve pockets, new rings etc, its gonna have my mantzel power box from my existing C16 XE, my magnex exhaust, filter, and a superchip, should be close with that, then its gonna be manifold and them maybe cams fingers crossed

I will be interested to see the RR figures after thats done
I would suggest a 4-2-1 manifold also. Seems to work very well. And if you can afford it, get the inlet and exhaust ports flowed to match the inlet and exhaust manifold just to free up those extra gee gees and increase the smoothness of the flow of gasses.
Cybermonkey

10th Oct 03 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Greasemonkey, that corsa will bloody shift when its done. Just dropped my car off for Service and MOT, there was a smoke grey L reg GSi, lowered, Courternay tuned, smooth boot and no rub strips. It had GSi alloys. It had grooved discs from what i could see. It was Corsa perfection. In fact, my ideal Corsa, but with 15" Wolfrace Enigmas in shadow chrome.
Greasemonkey

10th Oct 03 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah first thing im gonna do is spend a day on the rollers getting the superchip set up, my GSI is a carbic blue M-reg with 17inch Migla Actions, lowered on Apex shox and springs, just had a front end re-spray with brand new GSI bumper all smoothed meshed grill, no rub strips, tinted windows, M3's with indicators, 20 Groove Reddot disks, oh and corsasport stickers on the rear quarters LOL, think after the new engines in i will go back to my 15's for that extra acceleration and maybe dump the £2000 of ice i got in the boot!!!
Cybermonkey

10th Oct 03 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was about to say, all that performance at your fingertips and you ruin it with 17's! good lad. Sounds fantastic. Nice and subtle
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

1st Mar 05 at 20:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Gsi with the X16XE is also insurance group 10 the same as the sport, its only the pre-ecotec Gsi (C16XE) thats group 11

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
Cybermonkey

1st Mar 05 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU TOPPING OLD POSTS

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll