corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » insurance,someone please explain wat "Excess" means???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author insurance,someone please explain wat "Excess" means???
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
   27th Aug 03 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my excess is 600quid

so say i have a accident which is my fault rite! and i Dont want my car repaired by my insurance company(get it done myself privately) will i still have to pay the excess for the persons car i hit to get repaired???
and it is upto me right to wether i want my car repaired or not??

chers guys
Bart

27th Aug 03 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

excess:

If you drove up the back of me, and it costs me 1000 to get the repairs done, you cough up £600 and your insurance pays out £400.

Its not a nice thought is it
Bart

27th Aug 03 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes it is up to you whether or not u get ur car repaired, but you would still have to pay the excess on the 3rd partys car.

If you went into a lamp post, by law you have to tell your insurance company, although most of us wouldnt and get it repaired ourselves.
MoNkEy MaGiC

27th Aug 03 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh right i see. so if its MY fault i HAVE to pay excess!!

what if somone hit me?? will my insurance company be involved much???
or all i do is just notify them about it and the other persons insurance has to sort everything out??
Makarus

27th Aug 03 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If someone hits into you you may find it easier to pay the excess straight away and get your car back on the road, you will get it back in the end once fault has been established and such like.

But if you smash into someone then you may aswell get your car fixed through insurance anyway.

I had someone smash into me, he thought we would go outside insurance companies so went and got his car fixed himself, I went and got quotes for mine and he wouldnt pay out of his own pocket for the quote I got, he wanted me to go to some shit back street garage, so I said no and went through insurance. Not only did he fork out to get his car fixed but he then had to fork out his excess to get mine fixed loosing his no claims. serves the little arse hole right.
Bart

27th Aug 03 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its their fault then ur ok.
You'd get the details of the 3rd party involved, get the insurance/policy no. if they have it, along with their address and phone no.
you ring ur insurance company, explain to them how it happened and pass on the 3rd partys insurance info and your insurance company would sort it out.
and dont forget to put it for that nasty whiplash you got too
MoNkEy MaGiC

27th Aug 03 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so if the claim was only say 300quids worth i would pay only 300 rite, upto the maximum of my excess which is 600??

but i guess most claims are quite expensive, costs so much to get what looks so minor repaired!!!

cheers guys
roy_newell

27th Aug 03 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you don't pay excess if someone drives into you, they pay the excess on their insurance company, and you're insurance company don't pay a penny, it all comes from the other one
roy_newell

27th Aug 03 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and if the claim was only £300 you would still have to pay £600 excess, its a set amount i'm afraid
Neshol

27th Aug 03 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats stoopid
Moony1234

27th Aug 03 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats why if you do under £600 damage u just pay for it yourself
M4tt

27th Aug 03 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Moony1234
thats why if you do under £600 damage u just pay for it yourself

yeah....

you not exactly gonna pay 600 quid out if you could get it done yourself for 300 quid.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Aug 03 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Roy - I'm not sure that you are correct on that one!

If you have an accident that is not your fault, you will most likely have to pay the excess to the repairer. Your car will be fixed before the claim is settled, and they won't give you it back unless its paid. You then claim that amount back from the person who hit you.
roy_newell

28th Aug 03 at 02:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian are you sure cause when my dad had a crash (bear in mind this was a few years ago) I'm sure he didn't have to pay excess, I mean why should you if it isn't your fault
Bart

28th Aug 03 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Roy - I'm not sure that you are correct on that one!

If you have an accident that is not your fault, you will most likely have to pay the excess to the repairer. Your car will be fixed before the claim is settled, and they won't give you it back unless its paid. You then claim that amount back from the person who hit you.

yeah im sure thats how it is.

very few insurance companies will pay it them selves and then claim it back.

If its not your fault then you push for a courtesy car.
And because you got whip lash, you need a few days off work.
Then make sure you apply for loss of earnings, and put in for the whip lash.

My girl friend had accidant last year, someone went into the back of her, and naturally she had a few days off work.
she got a extra £1500 for whip lash (which i pursuaded her to put in for), and £200 for loss of earnings.

As far as whip lash is concerned anyway you should always put in for it, it mite not affect you straight away, but later on in life

time to get some of that hard earned money back from the insurance
(it mite put everyone elses insurance up.. but hey! )

New Poll