corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Anyone ever crashed with void insurance?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone ever crashed with void insurance?
PanaceA

User status: Offline
5th Jul 03 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone here ever hit another vehicle with either no or void insurance? if so, what happened to you?
Reason I'm asking is I hit a people carrier the other day and my insurance is void - I don't know what will happen to me, theres no way I'll ever be able to pay out of my own pocket.
Any help or advice?
Cheers
koolkorsa

5th Jul 03 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

y is ur insurance void?
Corsa^Dan

5th Jul 03 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u might get taken too court cos of no insurance, how they been rnd too look at your car yet, can u put it bk too stadarrd before thye do?
Tam the diesel man

5th Jul 03 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically your fucked!
Corsa^Dan

5th Jul 03 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh hold on.. wot u mean by void?? out of date? no insurance??? no insurnace cos of mods? u admitted it was your fault?
L33 LEG
Banned

5th Jul 03 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you mean void insurance being because you aint declared your mods, i just made my car as standard as possible b4 they look at it

but if you mean void as in hav no insurance at all - you'll be fcuked!!!

LEG
PanaceA

5th Jul 03 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car was modded, now its standard, I swapped the seats and wheels yesterday. Anyway, heres the story:-
Insurance is shite when your young (I'm 20) so you have to shop around alot to find a good quote. Monday or tuesday night I had a quote from Adrian Flux of £900 TPFT, I didn't go ahead with this quote as I still had a few places to phone. Anyway, I had phoned everywhere and the Adrian Flux quote was the best, so I gave them a ring tuesday night to find they had closed for the day. So, I left the reference number with my mum and dad and asked them to phone and insure me sometime wednesday. Wednesday I was driving home from work about 5pm and I lose the car and slide into an on coming people carrier. It wasn't due to dangerous driving or speeding it was a total freak. Even the fellow I hit said I wasn't traveling fast and so did my boss who was a few seconds behind me in the work van. So the accident happened around 5pm. When I get home around 6:15pm my mum isnt in and my dad is asleep. I wake my dad and tell him the news and he says don't worry I insured you earlyer. My insurance documents come through friday morning and they say I was convered from 5:28pm where as the accident happened at 50pm. I jump on the phone to the fellow I hit to ask him if he could say that the accident happened at 60pm but he tells me that hes already reported the accident to his insurance and he told them that it happened at 4:50pm.
Theres no way I'll be able to pay out of my own pocket so what will happen to me? more detail than "your fucked" please.
Cheers
koolkorsa

5th Jul 03 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well in effect you were not insured. So legally you were driving without insurance. But somebody mite be leniant to you considering the cicrumstances. Good luck mate
PanaceA

5th Jul 03 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers.
Whats the worst that can happen? say I get done for driving with no insurance as a first effence, what will happen? driving with no insurance is a £200 fine and 3 points isnt it?
dannycorsa c

5th Jul 03 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no u get a ban happened 2 2ov my mates 1 got his liecence took off him coz he was still in his probations years and the other blaged for a shorter ban and bigger fine he got 3 months and a big fine.but u had a crash so they might do u more!
PanaceA

5th Jul 03 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure the law has changed on driving with no insurance, I'm sure I heard it on the news about a month ago. They mentioned £200 and 3 points - but, like you say, I had a crash as well. I still can't belive its happened
Anyone else have any info for me?
Red_SXi

5th Jul 03 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wish you luck here, its unfortunate but i'd never drive my car unless i was TOTALLY sure i was covered by insurance.

We all moan about how insurance is expensive, but when you need to claim on it, you're glad you had it.
cobra148

5th Jul 03 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your a fool to drive with no insurance, and by your own admittance, you've been doing it for a few days at least.
You were lucky no one was hurt, disabled or killed, it can easilly happen and its just not worth it.
I don't wanna sound harsh 'cos we all do things that aren't strictly legal, but this might end up costing you far more than the insurance would of.
PanaceA

5th Jul 03 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry, I forgot to mention - I was keeping my car at work, off the road, until I got insured. I drove it home (almost) on wednesday because I thought I was insured or I was going to insure it my-self when I got home.
It was such a stupid accident, if I was driving too quickly I would accept it and simply blame my-self but I was just traveling at a normal pace, it was stupid! now I've lost me car, I'll probably not be able to drive for years to come and when that time does come insurance will probably cost me thoasands. It was such a coincidental and stupid accident. If I'd have cought Adrian Flux on tuesday night everything would be fine, if my dad had gotten home from work a tad earlyer he could have insured me earlyer, if I would have been 2 or 3 seconds later or earlyer the whole thing wouldn't have happened. Anyway, I suppose there are always "what ifs" to every bad situation.
Still, I'd like to know what happened to you or people you know in a similar situation.
Ta
cobra148

5th Jul 03 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In that case, explain that you genuinely thought you were covered at the time, it might go in your favour.
Was the accident a case of 50/50 blame? If thats the case, the other guys insurance should take care of his claim but your gonna have to sort yours out yourself (is it bad?)
You never know, you might get really lucky and your insurance company may honour your policy. I hope they do, but find it very unlikely. Good luck anyway.
koolkorsa

5th Jul 03 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wot time did ur dad sort out the insurance on the phone? i think you could have a reasonable claim in arguing that you believed insurance would commence as soon as your dad put down the fone.
Kris TD

5th Jul 03 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannycorsa c
no u get a ban happened 2 2ov my mates 1 got his liecence took off him coz he was still in his probations years and the other blaged for a shorter ban and bigger fine he got 3 months and a big fine.but u had a crash so they might do u more!

girls at works bf got a ban for 3 months for driving his mates car without insurance.
PanaceA

5th Jul 03 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cobra - it was my fault 100/0 to be fair - although the silly fat freak had plenty of time to simply steer out of the way, rather than just brake. Yes me car is bad, real bad, if you look carefully down either side you can see that the whole car is actualy bent very slightly, it will cost a alot to sort it out I would have though. Thats why I'm selling all the parts. I would have thought I'll make over £1000 in selling the parts so its not a total loss - the car cost me £2200 6 days ago - jesus, just think, 7 days ago I didn't even have the car and now its a scrapper
Tam the diesel man

5th Jul 03 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and if the guy you plowed into trys to sue you for something stupid (like personal injury) you gotta pay all the legal costs and everything else with that!
PanaceA

5th Jul 03 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The guy I hit is being totaly ok with everything. I've went to his house to make sure he was ok a few hours after the crash and he was totaly fine with me. He told how the corner we crashed on was a really bad corner for accidents and he said how he could see that I wasn't driving to quickly.
BU52G*S

6th Jul 03 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you will be fine because you phone the insurance on wed b4 the accident it just you didn't notice,but the point is why didn't you phone your dad b4 you drive just to make sure every thing is done ,and anyway you are very unlucky coz you only had the car for 7 days and you paid 2200 and the insurance for 950 so it 3150 down the drain cos the insurance 100% not going to give you any money coz tpft best thing is sell all your stuff for cash than save up to get a new one
wytey

6th Jul 03 at 02:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah.... I think the insurance company is going to say thanx but no thanx, the insurance is valid, but the accident happened before your cover started so nothing to do with them.

so basically, you'll be looking at driving without insurance. I don't think the court is going to be too lenient, after all, you were involved in an accident without insurance.

you've paid £2200 for the car, sell what you can of it and get as much back as you can, as for the insurance, cancel it, and get your money back, or 11 months or however they work it, iirc you can cancel your insurance and get refunded whatever is unused or summat like that? provided you ain't made a claim, and you haven't. so hopefully you get most of that back too.

so hopefully, your losses will be minimal, but whatever they give you, it's going to bump your insurance up, unless you wait 5yrs, then u dun have to declare it to them.

hope what I said makes sense, and is correct, I have been up for summat like 40hours
IntaCepta

6th Jul 03 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you should enquire the time of when the insurance cover starts.

I doubt the insurance co will want to have anything to do with you now they'll avoid any claim, and now u've given 'em a great reason not to pay out.

I should expect going to court + a driving ban

but argue ur case nevertheless.

good luck mate,
very unlucky.
PanaceA

6th Jul 03 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers
Wolfy

6th Jul 03 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bend over mate....cause your shafted!