corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Renting n00b

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Renting n00b
kz

User status: Offline
24th Jan 15 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's driving me insane!

Finally looking to move out of home and in with the missus (both living with our mums atm) I'm refreshing Rightmove 4 times a day lol. So far we've called about 9 properties, seen a couple and been totally duped once I have to admit she's a lot less fussy than me... I'm looking for 3 things to be perfect really, i.e. location, price and decor. We were originally going to buy but we've decided to rent for the first 12 months or so, and I thought it'd make me less fussy, but knowing you can't change anything inside, it's actually made me more fussy.

I've asked her for 3 more weeks then I'll drop my 3 prerequisites to just 2 of those things

Any tips or general experiences of your first time renting? Ideally looking for a modern 2 bedroom apartment with a maximum budget of £825 p/m... within walking distance of either work, town centre or my mums house.

Doesn't particularly help that neither of us are driving atm
Gary
Premium Member

24th Jan 15 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Move up north. You'll get a 3 bed semi for that.
Jimbothebarbarian

24th Jan 15 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair all you should be bothered about is getting in someplace and banging the bird senseless. Be it in the bedrooms, bathroom, over the sofa, over the washing machine, so on and etc....

Worrying about anything else is for later life. Unfortunately you won't realise this until later life when alas its to late...
evilrob
Premium Member

24th Jan 15 at 16:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try Primelocation - you can add keywords to the search like "refurbished" or "dishwasher" or whatever; gives you a little more granularity than Rightmove.
Ben G

24th Jan 15 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
To be fair all you should be bothered about is getting in someplace and banging the bird senseless. Be it in the bedrooms, bathroom, over the sofa, over the washing machine, so on and etc....

Worrying about anything else is for later life. Unfortunately you won't realise this until later life when alas its to late...

Yeah don't worry about moving in next to drug dealers and having your windows smashed in...
--ToM--

24th Jan 15 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't believe how expensive it is darnnn sarffffff
kz

24th Jan 15 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know mate for some reason I looked at areas near where my girlfriend's dad lives (near Nottingham) everything's bloody half price!
Aaron

24th Jan 15 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's only for 12 months then why worry about the decor, or the fact that you can't change said decor?

A couple of points:

1. You're doing the right thing renting first before committing to a purchase with a girl. I did this and now we own a nice place. My friend DIDN'T do this and now he's stuck in a long fixed term mortgage with a nutter he can't get away from.

2. Speaking as a landlord, yes you can change things with the house you're renting, but you just need to get permission from the owner. You're never going to want to install an extension though are you...it'll just be a bit of painting here and there if anything (but once again, if you're only there for 12 months...what's the need?)

3. Speaking as a former tenant, just make sure you keep the place clean and tidy for potential inspections (if the estate agent do this...mine do), and make sure you report any issues which need sorting. The main luxury of renting is that you rarely have to pay for things which break. Boiler breaks...that's the landlords problem. Front door won't lock...that's the landlords problem. Bath tap won't turn anymore...that's the landlords problem.
kz

25th Jan 15 at 00:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes you make good points. 12 months is the aim... but I can see it going into 18-24 months tbh, she has no deposit saved up and wants time to get some to make a contribution for a mortgage application. We'll see!
Jimbothebarbarian

25th Jan 15 at 06:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian

Yeah don't worry about moving in next to drug dealers and having your windows smashed in...

You're a bit of a drama queen ain't you sweetie pie xxx
Ben G

25th Jan 15 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you say so...
DaveyLC

26th Jan 15 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rental market down south is mental at the moment, you literally have to decide while viewing and you'll probably even need to offer above the asking price for deposit to secure the place because there is so much demand! A friend of mine owns a few places that he lets out and a few of them are these little poxy one bed studio flats which he says when they come up for rental he has professional people looking for somewhere just outside of London to stay during the week literally fighting over them!

The last one he let there were 5 people who wanted it on the first day so he said who ever pays the biggest deposit gets it.. someone paid a years rent up front FFS!

[Edited on 26-01-2015 by DaveyLC]
pow
Premium Member

26th Jan 15 at 14:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is indeed mad, I gave my place to someone who paid for a years rent up front!
kz

26th Jan 15 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah someone paid a year up front for a place my uncle was renting @ £1,000 per month!

He drowned after a few months too, rough decision there. But that's another story.
Generation

3rd Feb 15 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm renting a one bedroom flat out for £700 a month near romford. Demand is mental. First two people to see raced EACHOTHER back to letting agency to take it. Had so many calls same day and that was few ears ago now.

I think a 2 bedroom at that price is going to go
So fast, you're either going to
Up your game even more, or up the budget.
ed

4th Feb 15 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think your priorities should be price, location and then decor. If it's a rental property then it ought to be fairly neutral anyway - you don't tend to get high design for £825pcm. If location is important then price has to give, if you're not so concerned on where it is then you can save money.

Also, if you find one you like, act fast! Don't worry if you've got appointments elsewhere on a viewing day. Just pay the deposit and take the property! When I last rented, I was viewing and lost two properties because I thought I'd go see the next one first. The next ones weren't as good and I'd lost the ones I wanted within 45mins
RichR
Premium Member

4th Feb 15 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
It is indeed mad, I gave my place to someone who paid for a years rent up front!

It's not dissimilar up North. We don't ever have to advertise our flats, they're all one bedroomed and aside from when they've been worked on, they've never been empty. I had a tenant move out last Saturday morning and a new tenant move in Saturday afternoon. Tenant one was paid up for another couple of weeks so I've technically got an overlap of 2 lots of rent coming in for 3 weeks.

Found out the couple in one of my ground floor flats has split up, waiting eagerly for them to announce they're moving out as I have a (semi) disabled guy, desperate for a ground floor, easy access flat who wants to move in tomorrow, today yesterday - if I can get him in, he'll be in for life as ground floor flats don't seem to exist in our local area - been in his current 3rd storey flat for 18 years; that's the tenants you want.
RichR
Premium Member

4th Feb 15 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, the new tenant last week paid a 2 month deposit and 1 month rent upfront without seeing the flat too-as said, move fast if you like it.
kz

7th Feb 15 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow, interesting stuff!

All I can say is that reading the above makes me feel like I'm really not all that desperate at all lol. I guess these people racing each other and paying up front without even seeing the place are in different situations to me... where maybe they have to get a place as soon as possible. I don't personally have any kind of rush other than my girlfriend moaning at me, I could easily take another 3-6 months to find a place and it wouldn't bother me at all.

Maybe the above people already got to that stage though
kz

18th Feb 15 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update: We got the first place we put an offer in for... maybe it's no so crazy round here after all

New Poll