corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Renting

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Renting
Gregor

User status: Offline
5th Nov 12 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dead money I know. Paying someone else's mortgage as well - I know.

I am self employed and have been for a couple of years now. However, the banks are strict on any form of lending to self employed and in particular mortgage. I've tried and tried but have been stonewalled each time and told that another year/2 years of accounts is required.

For this reason I am seriously considering renting. For those of you who do so , does it work?

What monthly outgoings need I consider when renting as I am unsure if rent covers any other bills?
noshua

5th Nov 12 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing wrong with renting if it fits your needs, i.e. nowhere else to live, with the girlfriend before buying to make sure she isn't a crazy bitch, new job, etc.

I live in a 2 bed 2nd floor (top) flat, pay £825 rent. £1200 is paid into a separate account to cover rent and all bills - been working good so far. Probably overpay by a little, but never know until the bills settle (gas, electric and water as they're quarterly)

I'm sure there's been a couple threads on here and people have described their rent/mortgage + bills.

As for bills to pay:

Rent - 825
Water - 20
Gas - 40
Electric - 40
Council tax - 120
TV license - 12

Then remember you have the choice of taking out TV like Sky / Virgin, contents insurance, probably a few others I've missed.

EDIT: Added a rough list of what we pay.

[Edited on 05-11-2012 by noshua]
Gareth T

5th Nov 12 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I rent and its good if yiu want hassle free living. What I.mean is if something goes wrong/brakes its someone elae who sorts it and doesnt affect our money anymore. Depending in area etc depends on how much rent you pay so be prepared in this climate to pay that bit more for a nicer prooerty/area.
Gregor

5th Nov 12 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys. Would like to be able to strike a balance between being able to rent and save for a bigger deposit too but I'm unsure how that can be done without knowing what I can afford when I don't know what the outgoings will be.
sc0ott

6th Nov 12 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not try housing associations for social housing or mid market rent. Both are cheaper than private let / paying someone elses mortgage.
jrsteeve

6th Nov 12 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm self employed, mortgages are out there, you just need a reasonable deposit (30%ish).

Sadly you may also struggle letting as the agents will ask you for your last 2 years SA302s/returns. You'll probably need a guarantor if you can't provide reasonable accounts.
Graham88

6th Nov 12 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I rent and I think it's a good learning curve. I have always been like you said in your first sentence. But I'm glad I didn't jump into a mortgage especially with my girlfriend so we can see if we can last without strangling each other

My only recommendation to anyone is to have the deposit ready as its very hard saving aswell as renting & trying to live your normal daily routine & hobbies, but worth It to have your own place (as such)
Ian W

6th Nov 12 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gareth T
I rent and its good if yiu want hassle free living. What I.mean is if something goes wrong/brakes its someone elae who sorts it and doesnt affect our money anymore. Depending in area etc depends on how much rent you pay so be prepared in this climate to pay that bit more for a nicer prooerty/area.

Same here, live alone and renting a nice apartment / flat suits me perfectly. Currently have no desire what so ever to buy a house.

New Poll