corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Exchange Server problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Exchange Server problems
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Mar 12 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of my customers has got SBS Standard 2011 and they are constantly having problems with their Exchange server.

Basically, they are reporting that mail takes ages to get delivered to them or sent by them. Today they phoned me saying that they can't receive any email at all.

Now I know there is a problem with the shit backup software they are running causing issues on the server so I advised them to reboot the server. Apart from removing this backup software (in the process of getting them Acronis backup software for it instead) is there anything in Exchange I can check settings wise?

I've not really used Exchange Server properly for about 10 years now so I'm guessing there's been a load of changes since then...
John

22nd Mar 12 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be a million and one things, could be nothing to do with exchange.

Exchange 2010 is completely different to 2000/2003.

Won't be able to tell without getting on and troubleshooting.
Bart

22nd Mar 12 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not famillar with the SBS version, but are you using pop or smtp?
If its pop collection you should be able to login to the ISP and see it sitting there first?

Are you using a 3rd party email collector?
What backup software are they currently using? Id be tempted to lean towards backup exec personally (dispite my strong hate for anything symantec).
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

22nd Mar 12 at 13:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sbs use windows backup.
Sam
Premium Member

22nd Mar 12 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're not using Windows backup, they're using Symantec Backup Exec (sorry should have probably mentioned this in my post).

From memory I think they are using the POP3 connector?

The problem is someone else set this up and my customer hasn't got any information from them about their server set up so it's just guess work on my part at the moment unfortunately.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Mar 12 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just use windows backup, it's perfectly good for most places, don't see the need to pay for something builtin. The command line tools are even better
Bart

22nd Mar 12 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Just use windows backup, it's perfectly good for most places, don't see the need to pay for something builtin. The command line tools are even better

I dont think Windows backup will integrate with exchange?

Sam,
If its pop email, then you should be able to log into the ISP mailbox.
so,

1, login to mailbox,
2, send email
3, see where the delay is, i.e into this mailbox, or from mailbox to exchange server, or from exchange server to clients
4, if its your exchange server, you could try using PopCon, very popular, easy to use pop collector.
Sam
Premium Member

22nd Mar 12 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Bart, I have to go up to see them tomorrow as I'm setting up a new PC for them so I'll log in to the server and see what's what.
John

22nd Mar 12 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sbs pop collector works fine no point adding an extra layer.
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Mar 12 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Little update - think I fixed the problem.

Can't remember the exact name of this setting but it was to do with routing or something, anyway for some reason it had an IP address of a network printer as an SMTP server as well as the IP for the server.

Removed the wrong IP, used the Exchange diagnostic tools for tracing and sending a test message and it got out perfectly.

So that should hopefully sort out any mail they send, as for incoming mail it seems to point to a CNAME of some sort so I need to check where that's going to at some point - I'm assuming it's correct because I rebooted the server earlier as it was in a half-running state when I got there and since then their incoming mail seems to be working too.

Anyway going back to the SMTP problem, why the fuck this other IT company added an IP address of a printer as an SMTP server I do not know!
Dom

23rd Mar 12 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sure it was the previous IT company and not someone in the office attempting to 'fix' it? I've seen it happen a few times
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Mar 12 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suppose there is that possibility but I doubt it, they'd rather pay an IT company to sort their stuff out than waste time fixing it themselves going by past experiences with them.

[Edited on 23-03-2012 by Sam]

New Poll