corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Trying to get my works email onto laptop.. can someone help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Trying to get my works email onto laptop.. can someone help
chris_uk
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Oct 09 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey guys, we have all been given a pda which is supposedly for email etc, but its so small i can barely read what the bloody thing says, never mind try reply with the silly keyboard.

i have a spare notebook that i want to use in the van for emails etc, the works email uses an exchange server but i dont know how to connect to it using the laptop..

ive tried microsoft outlook (from office XP) and windows mail (vista version of outlook express by the looks of it) but i cant find out how to do it.

ive added a server in windows mail, and it only lists POP3 etc, no exhange server.

any help would be mega good

[Edited on 27-10-2009 by chris_uk]
James_DT

27th Oct 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll need Outlook to use Exchange, and you'll need the address for the Exchange server which you can get off the PDA.
Do they use the OWA webmail at all?
They'll be able to see which devices are connected to Exchange, though, and will be able to stop the laptop connecting to it if they want.

[Edited on 27-10-2009 by James_DT]
chris_uk
Premium Member

27th Oct 09 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea its OWA.

ive told them that i want to connect the laptop, and they said it was ok, so i cant see any problems.

i take it outlook xp and windows mail are not able to look at the exchange then?

what should i use?

James_DT

27th Oct 09 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll need Outlook 2003 or 2007, so you'll need to find yourself a copy of that not Outlook XP.
You should be able to use the domain part of the OWA address as the server address.
chris_uk
Premium Member

27th Oct 09 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm, ill have to see if i can download it from somewhere.
chris_uk
Premium Member

27th Oct 09 at 12:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can i download outlook 2003 for free? or do you still have to pay for it?

and i know i 'can' download it for free, but im using works internet through internet sharing on the phone so i cant be downloading from dodgy sites.
James_DT

27th Oct 09 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll have to pay for it.
You could try Evolution, I think that supports Exchange.
chris_uk
Premium Member

27th Oct 09 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers.
pow
Premium Member

27th Oct 09 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do your work have a webmail?
chris_uk
Premium Member

27th Oct 09 at 23:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rite, i have downloaded outlook 2003 and installed it..

i then created a new connection to exchange server, and added the exchange server owa.xxxxxxxx.co.uk and then in username credman, as thats what it should be.

but i read online somewhere that on vista people had problems.. and they managed to solve it by putting the exchange server in the username section followed by '/credman'

needles to say this doesnt work either lol

chris_uk
Premium Member

27th Oct 09 at 23:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i might just leave it and use the phone lol, if i need to transfer files i will just do it by data transfer lol
pow
Premium Member

28th Oct 09 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to put the domain in

DOMAIN\username
chris_uk
Premium Member

28th Oct 09 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what would the domain be? or where can i find it.
John

28th Oct 09 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have a login in the office?

You would either enter your username as domain\user.name or it would be in the bottom box of the login screen.

Something like Corporate for example.
pow
Premium Member

28th Oct 09 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or the company name

[Edited on 28-10-2009 by pow]

New Poll