corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Heeeelp! Mini laptop!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Heeeelp! Mini laptop!
Shell
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Aug 09 at 11:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, I am a bit technically challenged so looking for a bit of help here. I know you get mini laptop affairs, and I thought they were called notebooks, but alas they may be called netbooks? I really don't know. Can someone tell me what they actually are, what difference they hold to a normal laptop and which ones are best? I really just need one for uni, note taking in lectures etc. Needs to have wireless net connection also. Thanks!
Brett
Premium Member

10th Aug 09 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Netbook is smaller, usually doesnt have anything like a cdrom, floppy etc.

Sounds like all you need is a netbook. They still have USB's to be able to print and use usb sticks.
Shell
Premium Member

10th Aug 09 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a normal laptop at home for all of the things a netbook wouldn't do. I'm just looking for a little one with as long a battery life as possible. Any you can recommend? I'd like one made by a company that aren't going to be entirely unhelpful if something goes wrong with it during the warranty period as I am having loads of problems with Fujitsu Siemens are the moment due to a problem with my every day laptop.
Kurt

10th Aug 09 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sony make a nice "Vaio" netbook, its £800 though
Shell
Premium Member

10th Aug 09 at 12:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, should have mentioned. Limit of £300. Nothing ridiculous that costs the same as a normal laptop. Thank you
_Allan_

10th Aug 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Asus and Samsungs always do well in reviews. Find one of these with the best price and memory and I'm sure it would be fit for what you want it for.
Shell
Premium Member

10th Aug 09 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a good samsung one I'm going to have a look at Allan. Does anyone know if the Dell netbooks are crap?
Brett
Premium Member

10th Aug 09 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd get the Samsung if you can stretch your budget.
_Allan_

10th Aug 09 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think on the Samsung as well the RAM is easy to swap out and another 1GB is fairly cheap. Where as some of the others, not sure if it's the Acer ones who have to dismantle to get to the RAM. Handy if you wish to upgrade in the future.
MarkM

10th Aug 09 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Samsung NC10 Netbook. I have one and can't fault it really.

£330 I think I paid back at Christmas so sure they will be less now.
bubble

10th Aug 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

samsung nc10, or wait and get the N130
Shell
Premium Member

10th Aug 09 at 13:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One website is claiming the Dell 10v has 160GB of memory or whatever and saying the NC10 has 1gb? Confusion.

Edit: Ignore that completely. 1gb memory and 160gb hard drive.

I can't see any features which would make one better than the other.

[Edited on 10-08-2009 by Shelley]
AndyKent

10th Aug 09 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure you try one first. I really wanted one but had a play in PC World and thought the keyboards were stupidly small. Given that I do type quite a lot of assignments and stuff I decided against and got a proper laptop instead for an extra £100.
MarkM

10th Aug 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Samsung can have its RAM upgraded to 2GB very easily.
MarkM

10th Aug 09 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Make sure you try one first. I really wanted one but had a play in PC World and thought the keyboards were stupidly small. Given that I do type quite a lot of assignments and stuff I decided against and got a proper laptop instead for an extra £100.

The NC10's keyboard isn't that much smaller than a "normal" sized laptop.

mjw_2k2

11th Aug 09 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got the asus eee pc 904ha with very good battery life, it says 6 hours on it but practically i got 5, which isnt too bad lol thats with upgrades of 2gb RAM and 250GB sata HDD and works amazing well with windows 7 RC on!!! all in all spent about £300 which is pretty low price for what ive got, basically when my laptop broke i bought it for £260 from argos then put the hdd from laptop into it and upgraded the memory also bought a usb cd drive which had a laptop size drive in it then i ripped it apart and stuck in the dvdrw from laptop then installed windows 7 and it works perfectly!

[Edited on 11-08-2009 by mjw_2k2]

New Poll