corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Laptop in Corsa B?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptop in Corsa B?
Sir_Mixalot

User status: Offline
22nd May 03 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondered if anyone had put a laptop into their corsa. i was thinking about getting an mp3 hard drive head unit, but thought it would be way better just to get a cheap laptop, and hook it up to my current head unit, then just put all the files i want (including movies etc) onto the laptop and put it in the car somewhere. i thought maybe in the glove compartment on some runners so it can run in and out to change tracks and watch things on the screen...any thoughts? also how much do the power converters cost?

cheers.
Darrylh

23rd May 03 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have one of those Toshiba laptops, measures 10CM by 20 CM by 3 cm high.

Any ideas on how to slap it in my corsa B?
Want to hook it up to the HU wires, only prob is that the output is Mono mini jack

Cheers
Corsa_Mel

23rd May 03 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll be installing my laptop into my boot in the near future. I have a motorized screen which is going to go up front on the dashboard.

Going to simply connect the svideo output from the laptop to this screen and the audio output to my AUX in on my headunit.

Ill be using a car charger for my laptop. I've got a specific one (cig lighter plug) for my laptop.

If you dont have a suitable audio output you can buy usb sound cards such as the soundblaster extigy somert. I have heard good reviews about this too.
Alan MacAulay

24th May 03 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over time would the vibrations not harm the components in the laptop i.e. circuit boards, hard disks, etc which aren't designed to be used in a car for loong periods of time??

Just my quick two pence worth
Corsa_Mel

24th May 03 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont think this would cause too much of a problem.

Laptops are basically designed to be used while on the move. Will see how it goes anyhoo.
someone

25th May 03 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not build a micro pc?
they are tiny and will be cheaper
friend is going to put one in his car with a custome "headunit" for it

some headunit (like sony) you have to buy a box that enables the aux input so you can select it i believe.
CRB 553

25th May 03 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh mini-itx system is the way to go
Corsa_Mel

25th May 03 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I already have a laptop which i'm not using so its basically ideal! along with the power all built in, i just need to hook up the laptop car charger i have and her presto.

Yeah the mini-itx route is the next best thing.... would be alot cheaper as well if you had to go and buy a laptop instead.

Ive gone and bought an Alpine headunit which has Aux input so that shouldn't be a problem either.

New Poll