corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Any Exchange Server Gurus?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any Exchange Server Gurus?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st May 11 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok acronis with exchnage and a couple of nas boxes would work under and would be around 1.5k
John

21st May 11 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree, he could do the backup for a fraction of the cost, even with somebody else still doing it.
pow
Premium Member

21st May 11 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even windows server backup supports exchange databases these days doesn't it? I don't know because I don't deal with it.
John

21st May 11 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Server 2k8 backup is image based, it does the exchange database inherently, I use it in one place, not tried restoring from it yet though.
ENB

24th May 11 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Gmail is fine for a personal or small business but exchange is a totally different kettle of fish.

If that was in response to me, I said Qmail, not Gmail. http://qmail.org/top.html
ENB

24th May 11 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows server 2003 supports Exchange Store backups, using NT Backup.

For our Exchange I take a copy or the Store every day and a copy of each persons PST (we're only a small company), which is all then backed up offsite using a combination of rsync over an ssh tunnel. It costs nothing except for server storage space (we have a 48U rack in a data centre as part of the business requirements anyway).
Bart

24th May 11 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Backup exec and tapes are well out of date, something image based (not windows) is much better.

Indeed.
We are currently using Backup Exec with Western Digital External Drives, 5 drives for Monday-Friday and additional drives for rotating the fridays on alternate weeks.
The friday drives remain at home.

IMHO, we started with tapes, they are expensive, slow, unreliable, limit you to restoring to that server (unless you purchase another tape drive).

Very old hat indeed.
Bart

25th May 11 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had another chat today, Have spoken some more WRT the intentions of the exchange servers.

Exchange Server at head office will normally collect all mail and distribute to remote offices. This is done by the head office being the first MX record.
If the VPN/Broadband link fails then the remote exchange server will use the second MX record which will be a direct web download, thus remote users will not be affected by this outage.
The cost of this is £1000 for the exchange server software.

Also, WRT to collecting email, im told there wouldnt be any difference in bandwidth with the users collecting via outlook anywhere over the internet to our server as opposed to over the hardware VPN link.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

26th May 11 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how many users you got?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll