corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Exchange to download/send POP3 Mail (help needed)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Exchange to download/send POP3 Mail (help needed)
Aaron

User status: Offline
19th Dec 08 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right,

I've installed Exchange (2003) on server at home today for a bit of practice (and something new to learn). I've got it setup to automatically download my web mail from one of my web mail accounts (the one provided by my ISP). This bit is fine and all working great.

But, i can't figure out how to sent e mail through Exchange through my web mail (i'm using OWA at the moment)

Any ideas from other who have done this sort of thing in the past.

Any help would be great

My reason for doing all this is because i've set up Exchange on my network at work (a MUCH easier setup then at home, and it all works great). But, i want to have a system that i can prat about with without the risk of breaking it all.

Also, i'd ideally like to use Exchange to download the mail form 3 POP3 mail accounts and bring them all onto my Exchange server....then i can access them all at once using OWA from anywhere i am
colour_golden

20th Dec 08 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what i remember mate Exchange needs a pop3 connector to work with pop servers, its mainly geared towards straight email feeds (due to it being its own email server) your effectivly transfering email from 1 email server to another email server.

SBS server came with a pop connector but exchange on its own doesnt (at least Exchange 2000 didnt)

As far as sending goes from what i remember from my chisholms days it should just handle that itself....make sure port 25 is open etc But if your forwarding email from exchange through Karoo then Karoos servers will be blocking it as they dont like Relaying email cuts down on spam init!

I think you can send email through their servers as long as you authenticate the outgoing email.

This all maybe bullcrap though......oh and.......gaaaaaaybooyyyyyyy

[Edited on 20-12-2008 by colour_golden]
Bart

20th Dec 08 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ thats correct.
Are on you the same ISP as the email host? they generally wont allow you to send emails via another ISP to the one your connected with.

the pop3 connector is the way its done, but it sounds like you may have already configured that?

Exchange is ment as its own mailserver, but we also download it from our ISP at work, the main reasons are:
1, if your server shuts down etc, important emails wouldnt get bounced back to the sender,
2, we dont have to deal with virus/spam our ISP has a good inline defense
3, I think its slightly more secure
ENB

20th Dec 08 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
^^ thats correct.
Are on you the same ISP as the email host? they generally wont allow you to send emails via another ISP to the one your connected with.

the pop3 connector is the way its done, but it sounds like you may have already configured that?

Exchange is ment as its own mailserver, but we also download it from our ISP at work, the main reasons are:
1, if your server shuts down etc, important emails wouldnt get bounced back to the sender,
2, we dont have to deal with virus/spam our ISP has a good inline defense
3, I think its slightly more secure

Two mail servers with a priority 10 and 20 MX records respectively I find works well for this.
Bart

21st Dec 08 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

indeed, but this isnt always an option for the 'smaller' business who doesnt have the cash finance, espically at this time of the year
ENB

21st Dec 08 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed, just throwing another option out there.

We have three though and we are a small business with 20 staff, though we have the amount of kit of a larger business (around 20 servers), 3 of which are mail servers (all different).

New Poll