corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Connecting two Hi Fi amps/receivers together

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Connecting two Hi Fi amps/receivers together
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Jun 11 at 15:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OR

buy one of these and a cheaper amp with only 1 phono/RCA input and use that to switch them

You can get more expensive ones with remoted etc too
Sam
Premium Member

30th Jun 11 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would this not work:

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I've just thought... Can I use a phono lead going from the video-out of my existing amp, to the video-in of the new amp?

And just choose whatever I want to listen to on the existing amp and leave the new one set to 'video'? Would that work?
Gary
Premium Member

30th Jun 11 at 15:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would send the video from whatever input you had selected on the old amp.

Or maybe try a speaker to RCA converter from the speaker outputs of your old amp to one of the RCA inputs of the new amp. Thus makind the old amp a switcher yet still letting you use the HDMI inputs of the new amp.

That way you could buy a cheaper new amp.
Sam
Premium Member

30th Jun 11 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Gary.
Dom

30th Jun 11 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Can you leave the Sony as it is, surround setups are in general not as good for music as a hifi.

I know there are plenty of exceptions to this before anybody corrects me, for this it probably stands true.

Yup! AV amps tend to be detailed (cheapos tend to be just harsh/bright), almost monitor-esque, rather than musical and don't really work well in 2-channel enviroments. Pre/PA route is probably the best compromise you'll get in a AV setup but you can easily spunk money doing this.

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
So if I used the HDMI ports for the BR/DVD player, Xbox 360 and Sky+ HD box, can I use the RCAs for the hi-fi bits at the same time (even though the same labelled HDMI ports are in use)?

A lot of cheapo AV amps will have fixed inputs - ie: SAT phono input is fixed assigned to the SAT video (doesn't matter if it's HDMI, Component, S-Video) input. Further up the price range and amps will start allowing you to assign different audio inputs to video inputs (and outputs), but most tend to have some limit though ie: X input has to pass through DSP/some sonic video enhancing acronym etc (bit like inputs on some LCD/Plasmas).

Edit - A lot of weird setup ideas are being bounced around. Best bet is to save up, get a half-decent AV amp and do it properly rather than bodging it with speaker->phono adapters.
Also still using your Sony amp would make it an expensive phono switcher, unless you plan to hang your current speakers off it

[Edited on 30-06-2011 by Dom]
Gary
Premium Member

30th Jun 11 at 16:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What TV is this going through?

My samgsung has a shit load of inputs on it plus optical out to my DVD/surround sound if i want the TV audio in 5.1.

Maybe that would be an option.

That way you would just need a basic 5.1 cinema setup (no built in DVD jobby)
Sam
Premium Member

30th Jun 11 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the moment we got a 32" Toshiba 32AV555DB (I think) LCD but we are looking to change it to something better (and bigger).

Current TV has HDMI/component etc. etc.

[Edited on 30-06-2011 by Sam]
Sam
Premium Member

30th Jun 11 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom - I want to use the existing floorstanding speakers and get some more satellites + sub to make it surround.
Gary
Premium Member

30th Jun 11 at 16:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
At the moment we got a 32" Toshiba 32AV555DB (I think) LCD but we are looking to change it to something better (and bigger).

Current TV has HDMI/component etc. etc.

How many of each?
Dom

30th Jun 11 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Dom - I want to use the existing floorstanding speakers and get some more satellites + sub to make it surround.

CD/MD/Tape + SKY/XBOX/DVD,BD -> AV AMP -> to floorstanders and sat speakers = SORTED!

Increase your budget to 300/400 and look at Onkyo/Pioneer/Yamaha. You might be able to get a bargin if you hunt around eBay or classified section on avforums (forums are worth browsing anyways just for the info, reviews etc).
Gary
Premium Member

30th Jun 11 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No point spending more if the TV has enough inputs on it
Sam
Premium Member

30th Jun 11 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gary - 2x HDMI, 1x audio phono, 2x scart, components

Dom - yeah the other Sony one that would definately do everything is about £300

Sam
Premium Member

30th Jun 11 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With that £130 amp I posted, everything HDMI connects to that, and then all I need is one HDMI lead that goes from that to the TV (same with the £300 one as well actually).

Gary
Premium Member

30th Jun 11 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you get it and it wont support all your phono inputs you can always get a switcher anyways.
Sam
Premium Member

1st Jul 11 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was talking to a mate of mine on Facebook last night (he's a DJ and is really into his audio stuff in a majorly geeky way).

He reckons that Sony hi-fi stuff these days aren't great quality, as they use cheaper components.

Told me to go for Pioneer or Denon, and stay away from Sony and Yamaha.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll