corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Av receivers xbox etc...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Av receivers xbox etc...
harrisp

User status: Offline
20th Nov 09 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im looking at getting something like this or this, but dont know which to get, prefer the look of the Onkyo, or is there any others? (£180 budget as need to get speakers too)

Also my tv hasnt got any audio outputs for some reason so with this can I plug my xbox into one of those via an hdmi cable and run a hdmi cable to my xbox.
Is that right?

Speakers.. What sort of money am I looking at spending for a decent pair ? new or second hand?

Or even this?

[Edited on 20-11-2009 by harrisp]
xa0s
Banned

21st Nov 09 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Onkyo 605 or 606 if you can find one for £180.
harrisp

21st Nov 09 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Want a brand new one with warranty really.
xa0s
Banned

21st Nov 09 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well £180 really isn't enough for anything great. I'd personally save up for a bit and get something you won't regret. I believe a 606 is around £360, which is considered the low-end of AV receivers.
harrisp

21st Nov 09 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the missus is buying it me for xmas so cant really add anything to it. Not after something great, just something to play my xbox through really and with my tv having no outputs these are the only way I can see of doing it.
Rob R

21st Nov 09 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will do the job and not bank busting

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdh500/sony-strdh500
harrisp

21st Nov 09 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, that was one I was originally looking at but the three in my first post are in budget and wondered if they would be better, (look better).
John

21st Nov 09 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got either that firt onkyo or a very similar one and it's brilliant.

Don't listen to xa0s because he's talking complete rubbish, 360 isn't considered the low end.

I've got that and a set of tannoy speakers and they are brilliant.

Probably not as good as more expensive stuff but certianly not low end by any means.
harrisp

21st Nov 09 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

Don't listen to xa0s because he's talking complete rubbish, 360 isn't considered the low end.

Probably not as good as more expensive stuff but certianly not low end by any means.

Thanks, I want brand new as it is a xmas present from my gf and a 606 is around double her budget I have also seen this http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/pioneer/vsx519/pion-vsx519 which I think looks a lot better and seems very similar specced. Which tannoys are you using (if you dont mind giving me a link) as I need bookshelf speakers as I havent got much room.
What sort of speakers would I buy to add to my system for surround sound?

Sorry for all the questions

Also, Im not bothered about what is low end etc, I just want something that sounds better than my crappy hifi at the moment, although Im sure it will turn into an expensive obsession.

[Edited on 21-11-2009 by harrisp]
Bart

21st Nov 09 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im kinda in the same boat, Ive been looking at either the Denon 1910 (£449) or the 2310 (£799).

I dont really want the lower model, purely because I know the next model up is that much better.

The low end/ high end stuff really depends on your own point of view.

I would consider the Denon 1610 (£299) the low end (Entry Level is a better term) and 1910 a small step on from that.
The 2310 is where things get interesting and is really what im looking at, not the bottom or the top.
John

21st Nov 09 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any of the onkyo amps is a step up from most all in one solutions.

Entry level would be a much better term.

I bet most of the people who buy the expensive stuff wouldn't be able to tell the difference, they normally buy expensive stuff just because they can, they are the ones you see posting on forums saying 'your budget is half of what I'd class as low end'.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3804

You can get them considerably cheaper than that now though.

They are absolutely perfect in my bedroom, as I found out the other day when trying to listen to the killers dvd at about double my normal listening volume, they don't have the power at the very top of the volume range, this was well above what you'd watch any film at though.

At normal listening volumes they are clear and precise and the sub is perfectly adequate.
DaveyLC

21st Nov 09 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get an xbox and setup media centre..

The XBox is subsidised so you'll get superior hardware for a lot less.
John

21st Nov 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What use is an xbox as an A/V receiver?
DaveyLC

21st Nov 09 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe I should have read the post first
John

21st Nov 09 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe you should have tbh.
xa0s
Banned

22nd Nov 09 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Probably not as good as more expensive stuff but certainly not low end by any means.

Who are you kidding? The 605/606/607 is the lower-end of Onkyo's AV receivers. Why do people have to make things sound better than they are because they own it? No doubt the 605/606/607 is a great AV receiver and will do anything justice, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. I was encouraging him to get a 605/606/607 as they're a great AV receiver. I've had two and convinced 2 of my mates to get 'em as well.

My point was, I'd sooner wait a month and add the extra £100 or whatever and get a 605/606/607 than settle for the absolute rock-bottom of HDMI AV receivers. Even though the 605/606/607 is a low-end receiver it's still quality for the price. Don't worry, when I had my 605/606/607 I thought it was brilliant too but after you listen to a more higher-end AV receiver you'll see exactly what I'm saying.

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
I dont really want the lower model, purely because I know the next model up is that much better.

You're right, when I upgraded from my 606 to my 806 it made the world of difference. The clarity and power was simply in a different league. I then went and listened to a 906 and it made my AV receiver sound like a toy. At the end of the day though, you'll never have the best so you just need to settle. The 606 will be fine for most people. When I first got my 605 after upgrading from a all-in-one system it sounded the utter nuts.

quote:
I bet most of the people who buy the expensive stuff wouldn't be able to tell the difference, they normally buy expensive stuff just because they can, they are the ones you see posting on forums saying 'your budget is half of what I'd class as low end'.

Utter, utter bollocks. Seriously. I have both a 606 and a 806 at my house right now. Come round and listen to both play a decent FLAC audio track and tell me you can't tell the difference. When I read your first post I gave you the benefit of the doubt but after reading that one it's clear that you really are bigging it up more and more just because you own it.

As I said, they're great receivers, but to say "I bet most of the people who buy the expensive stuff wouldn't be able to tell the difference" is fucking ridiculous. Hop over to AVForums and write that and be prepared to be laughed off the forum.

EDIT: I've just seen your speakers. In that case, you're probably right. You wouldn't notice much of a difference at all...

[Edited on 22-11-2009 by xa0s]
xa0s
Banned

22nd Nov 09 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the way, harrisp, what devices are you planning on connecting to the AV receiver? If you can list the devices and what inputs they use it'll give us a better idea in offering advice. If you're considering getting speakers similar to John's you may well benefit in just getting a all-in-one system. The Xbox 360 doesn't send HD codecs so a digital optical connection will do just fine for sound. Unless you're considering getting a PS3 or Blu-ray player in the future there's no real need to get a HD AV receiver as it'll go wasted. You can get some extremely powerful AV receivers for your budget if you're not after HDMI connectivity.

It's all down to what you want really, but like I said, list your inputs required and it'll give us a much better idea.
harrisp

22nd Nov 09 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im getting confused now, I will just be using my xbox for now but I will be getting a blu-ray player after xmas, (will be plenty of questions about that) I cant add anything to the budget so am stuck at £200, I have looked for secondhand 606/7s and cant find anything within a reasonable distance, because if I was going secondhand a would want to see it first.

Thanks for the help everyone but can we not turn it into an argument.

Edit: Whats the 506 like? can almost get a brand new one in budget.

[Edited on 22-11-2009 by harrisp]
Nath

22nd Nov 09 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a second hand Sony STR-DE875 and a pair of Mordaunt Short MS904 floor standers.

Bonus was the Amp set me back £30 from a mate, and the speakers I got from another mate as he claimed a free pair on the insurance when his roof caved in due to flooding So I got them for £100.

And they sound ace
John

22nd Nov 09 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know the difference btw xaos, I'm well aware of whats good and whats not.

avforums was also who my point was aimed at, people with lots of money but little clue.
xa0s
Banned

23rd Nov 09 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
Im getting confused now, I will just be using my xbox for now but I will be getting a blu-ray player after xmas, (will be plenty of questions about that) I cant add anything to the budget so am stuck at £200, I have looked for secondhand 606/7s and cant find anything within a reasonable distance, because if I was going secondhand a would want to see it first.

Thanks for the help everyone but can we not turn it into an argument.

Edit: Whats the 506 like? can almost get a brand new one in budget.

[Edited on 22-11-2009 by harrisp]

It sounds like you're not after a lot so the 506 will do fine. It really is rock-bottom of HDMI AV receivers but it's still an upgrade from a all-in-one system.

Try AVForums and eBay for 2nd hand 605/606/607. I had a 605 and it was a great little amp.
harrisp

25th Nov 09 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only thing with the 506 is it says it doesnt support hd sound, what is that? It can still take sound through hdmi cant it?
Rob R

25th Nov 09 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably only has video hdmi pass through. To get sound would either have to connect via optical or rca.
harrisp

25th Nov 09 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob R
Probably only has video hdmi pass through. To get sound would either have to connect via optical or rca.

So I couldnt just plug the hdmi lead from my xbox into that and have sound?
Seems pointless, might aswell just get a amp hadnt I.
Dom

25th Nov 09 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
avforums was also who my point was aimed at, people with lots of money but little clue.

Overall i would say that AVForums is pretty good, but there is a lot of bull that gets spouted and it generally is full of people splashing money at this and that when it reality you wouldn't notice much of a difference.
I find the HiFi sub-forum over on overclockers.co.uk is pretty good, certainly a lot less bollocks (ie: 500 quid HDMI cable will improve your PQ).

Plus my 2 pennies, the cost of a 906 isn't really worth it unless you need it for AV switching. As sound-wise you could get a decoder and power amp(s) (or just head down the active monitor route) setup for similar money (secondhand) that would that would show it up.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll