corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple Tablet - iPad

New Poll
  <<  12    13    14    15  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple Tablet - iPad
Cosmo

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 10 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was more going on about within my place, where the connection would be stable, but yeah when on the net I dont think it would be much different.
AndyKent

3rd Feb 10 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
I dont know anything about cloud computing, so bare with me, but how is it less resourceful than RDP?
With RDP, your opening up a terminal session on the remote PC and therefore still using its resources as opposed to your own?

Or have I got this all wrong?

Yeah, basically remote desktop-ing, but from a massive central 'cloud' which is a huge range of service providers.

So, say you want to use Photoshop one day, but don't want to buy photoshop and only have an iPad, you could access all the functions of photoshop online and only pay a token fee to use it.

The difference with the cloud is that all the resources are spread over the internet offering the best reliability and allowing the costs to be spread across huge amounts of users. It also means users don't have to worry about installation, getting the latest updates etc. They just log on and it works.
John

3rd Feb 10 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's also basically renting instead of buying, something a lot of people would rather not do.
AndyKent

3rd Feb 10 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the service I guess.

Some service would be really popular and work really well, others not so much. I know in my line of work it would be far better to rent services rather than buy them outright. AutoCAD for example was about £25k to kit out our office. Would far rather be on a service contract where you pay for what you use. Directly chargeable to the client that way.
Robbo

3rd Feb 10 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
voda gets it? wasnt aware it was up for !getting"

at this rate i'm going to run out of 'facepalm' pics

read the uk press release, no exlcusive carrier, they are in talks supposedly with orange and o2 (bollocks - the mobile press are just saying that cos they both bought up large quantities of micro-sims ahead of a potnetial release) but they specifically said they arent seeking any exclusivity deals in Europe

the at&t one craig is just a short term thing so they can have first dibs basically, verizon will be stocking the iPhone in the coming months and will also sell the iPad contracts at the same time
Robbo

3rd Feb 10 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also point out wher ei said it was crap?

all i said was so the only way you can watch nmovies basically is through purchasing them off itunes
Cosmo

3rd Feb 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You got to remember though, that for the normal consumer (i.e. not businesses where you can pass on the charge) its going to work out as more expensive, as software companies are not going to want to miss out on every consumer having to buy a copy to use it.

The more I think about it, for my uses, the iPad with the ability to log in to my home Mac is perfect for me. The general apps available will be fine for use at home, then when out in the shops or having to go back to my parents to sort the invoices out, etc. it will allow me to still access the info on my home Mac.

Obviously I could do this on a laptop (which I was looking in to buying) but I really dont need something that can handle a huge workload, just some simple things.
ed

3rd Feb 10 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using cloud services is where its at. Give it a few years...
Cosmo

3rd Feb 10 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its all going to depend on pricing I guess - people can GTF if they think Im paying to use the likes of Dreamweaver or Fireworks every time I do - it costs me nothing to do so atm
ed

3rd Feb 10 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's probably where it's going to end up... Though I guess there are some apps which are more suited for that kind of use.
Cosmo

3rd Feb 10 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can really see the benefit for businesses, no or little initial outlay then a solid charge you can pass on to customers.

But for individuals or small businesses, its going to be too expensive and either push them away from using those products or price them out of being competitive.
ed

9th Feb 10 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This picture made me lol

ed

9th Feb 10 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(The using one iPad as a keyboard and one as a display one)
Cosmo

9th Feb 10 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They arent, its two separate images, the one with the keyboard looks like the other half of the screen is showing a new email or something.
Dom

9th Feb 10 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
I can really see the benefit for businesses, no or little initial outlay then a solid charge you can pass on to customers.

But for individuals or small businesses, its going to be too expensive and either push them away from using those products or price them out of being competitive.

Most businesses would probably opt for Motion systems, http://www.motioncomputing.co.uk considering as they are a lot more rugged (can be dropped from 3ft, dust/splash proof etc) - although they are £3/400 more.

Still not sure about the iPad, will wait to see one in a shop before i splash out...
ed

9th Feb 10 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
They arent, its two separate images, the one with the keyboard looks like the other half of the screen is showing a new email or something.
Deep down I knew that, but it made me lol a little because it looked a bit like Apple were implying you should buy two if you wanted a keyboard
Cosmo

9th Feb 10 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Most businesses would probably opt for Motion systems, http://www.motioncomputing.co.uk considering as they are a lot more rugged (can be dropped from 3ft, dust/splash proof etc) - although they are £3/400 more.

Still not sure about the iPad, will wait to see one in a shop before i splash out...

I was talking about cloud computing mingebag.

<<  12    13    14    15  >>

New Poll