corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Open Plan Kitchen & Living Room

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Open Plan Kitchen & Living Room
Danny P

User status: Offline
30th Dec 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone on here have an open plan kitchen & living room?

Seen a house im interested in but its a converted property and all open plan downstairs, its also got a mezzanine style first floor which i'd probably want to use a bedroom so was just wondering what its like when cooking, smells etc stinking out the living space?

Guessing unless you are cooking something particularly smelly it isn't too bad. I just dont want the smell to get into the fibres, although I presume that could be taken care off with Frebreez or similar.

Cheers.

[Edited on 30-12-2009 by Danny P]
Ben G

30th Dec 09 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not exactly a great reply here but anyway.

we spent 2 weeks in america in an open plan villa/house which had an open plan kitchen and living area and the interaction was great. no barriers etc made for a perfect atmosphere, especially when friends/family are over.

extractor fans take the smell away.
Danny P

30th Dec 09 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never thought about gettnig a fan, that could always be an option.
Cosmo

30th Dec 09 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My apartment is, gotta open the balcony doors if Im doing anything even remotely smelly or it'll stink the place out for hours (Ive a good extractor fan in there too).

I do like having it open plan though, much easier when you've got people around and sitting in the lounge and someone else doing something in the kitchen.
Rob_Quads

30th Dec 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I don't like them as I am not a massive Kitchen person and so don't want all the crap from the kitchen around me when i am sitting watching TV i.e. this morning we burnt a load of food, it stank the kitchen to high heaven. If we had been open plan it would have screwed the whole area.

For me I would prefer open plan Kitchen / social/table area and a separate TV room
Danny P

30th Dec 09 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guess i'd have to up my cooking skills then to stop the buring smell getting through
AlunJ

30th Dec 09 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like mine, only thing I hate is when washing machine/dishwasher is on and you are trying to watch telly lol
not had much problem with cooking smells, only when doing a full english etc really - that's what the extractor fan is there for
Laura

31st Dec 09 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mum and dads house is open plan L shape kitchen, dining, then living room.

and trust me, the smell goes everywhere.

buy a quiet washing machine, and never put the cooker hood up loud.

either that stick the tele right up, cause otherwise you'll never hear it if any of the above are on.

I was so glad when moved into own house and could finally shut the kitchen door

It looks cool, but much prefer a seperate kitchen imo.
ash_corsa

31st Dec 09 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Laura, we were considering knocking through the lounge and kitchen to make it one big space but glad we didnt in the end.

dannymccann

2nd Jan 10 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup keep the rooms separate, also means you wont have to heat a whole floor of the house in winter, just the rooms you want, if you are into that sort of thing
Cosmo

2nd Jan 10 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH unless both rooms are a really good size Id rather the open plan - pointless having two poxxy little rooms.. If they are both big then separate fosho.

And just put the dish washer on when you go to bed ffs!
Kathryn W

2nd Jan 10 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have the living room and dining room in a rectangle and then the kitchen off the dining room... So like an L Shape although we dont have a door on the kitchen so it is sort of opened plan.

It's very annoying.

We have an extractor fan - and it does work but when you cook very strong smelling food you have no chance it does get everywhere. Even in the hall which is very closed of from the kitchen (no i dont burn the food!)

As said above when the washing machine is on the noise is awful you cant hear the television in the living room - i admit that it's not the quietest thing in the world but i would like an option to put its on its own out of the way.

I dont mind open plan living and dining but i dont like it when the kitchen is involved to - i personally like the kitchen to be seperate
Gavin
Premium Member

3rd Jan 10 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always wanted to have an open plan sitting room/kitchen but never thought of the disadvantages such as the smell and noise of a busy kitchen....

pew pew pew pewwwww
whitter45

4th Jan 10 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for me the kitchen has to be closed off otherwise the smell just gets over whelming

Cooking any sort of food in a wok etc and leaving the french doors into the lounge open just makes the place smell for hours on end

New Poll