corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Living in house whilst doing it up

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Living in house whilst doing it up
stubbsy05

User status: Offline
11th Dec 07 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We move in next week.
Bathroom, Bedroom 2 and lounge are all done up. We have Bed 1, hall, dining room and kitchen to do whilst we are living there.

Anyone else living in their home whilst doing it up? Last time we didnt move in until it was all done up. I figure it will be easier to get on with work living there!
Ally

11th Dec 07 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup and its not nice.

Do one room at a time, honest to god dont get there and strip every room/rip every carpet out

I have 7 unfinished rooms, ie - the whole house
RichR
Premium Member

11th Dec 07 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm so glad I'm not living in mine

no bathroom, kitchen, bedrooms, dining room, living room, porch, extension, gardens 12ft high with weeds

http://corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=398920

[Edited on 11-12-2007 by LiVe LeE]
Cosmo

11th Dec 07 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the worst one to do whilst you are living there is the bathroom (depending on how many others you have!) followed by the kitchen.

Seems your bathroom is done, its only a case of moving a microwave and a fridge into another room, along with a few smaller things you need to live (kettle, etc.) and jobs a good'un.
Colin

11th Dec 07 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could imagine it will be depressing as fuck. I spent 8 months doing my place up ripping out kitchens & bathrooms etc, it was always a joy to go back 'home' after a days manual work on site
Jay

13th Dec 07 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moved into ours with no cooker and washing machine, no hot water or central heating. Got that sorted in about 4 days, as a matter of needing to! No carpets or flooring anywhere.

still got
hallway/landing - Plaster board and skimmed one wall, wallpaper
Kitchen - half the floor tiles to be put down, two walls skimming, box the boiler in to hide the pipes, bit of tiling.
Bedroom 2 and 3 - Wallpaper

Blinds are being fitted on Wednesday, cant wait, we live on one of the busiest roads in Liverpool and you can see from the outside right through the bathroom window when your in the shower Got a towel up on the window

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by JayM]
BigSte

13th Dec 07 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought ours a couple of years ago and did master bedroom and about 50% of the bathroom before we moved in...

Our plan was to do one room at a time and not start another till we had finished the previous. We said we'd start at the top of the house and work down.... so did Bedroom 3, Bedroom 2 and toilet room.

I've almost finished the staircase now, bar a bit of glossing and getting the carpet down, then gonna strip the living room as soon as xmas dec's are down.

Took me 2.5 years so far! I took every room down to bare brick though and started from scratch....also work full-time, go to uni part-time and got a young son so only really get Sundays on the house!

From a personal point of view I think it would have been easier to do it by not living there....every time i do some work we need to go round and give it a good clean - sounds daft but it takes a lot of time lol
Fee

13th Dec 07 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes....
for the first 2 months I had to wash my hair in the sink everyday
for the last 6 months I've had a pasting table and a microwave as a kitchen....although hopefully by the time I get home tonight I will have 8 working gas hobs and a kitchen sink with hot water and a dishwasher...luxury!
Just got to get the electrics in the kitchen sorted now.

It's a pain, but we've coped.
Living there I think does give you the motivation to get things done quicker
Russ

13th Dec 07 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what cooker you getting fee
Fee

13th Dec 07 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tis this one

Russ

13th Dec 07 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

range or new world or something?
corb

13th Dec 07 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate has been living in his house for 2years whilst 'doing it up'. He's built another 50% of house extension, moved the stairs, re-arranged all the room layouts/sizes/shapes upstairs and down, built a 4car driveway, 2storey double garage, had a new roof put on(was living in it during winter, with no roof , that was fooking cold, and I didnt have to sleep in it!!), obviously new bathroom/kitchen etc.! He said he's never living in one whilst he does it up again!
Andrew

13th Dec 07 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
range or new world or something?

Range Master those ones are.
stubbsy05

14th Dec 07 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Following my first post the carpets are down in Bed 1 and lounge,and furnished. Vinyl down in bathroom and the 3 rooms look great. Has given me more enthusiasm to get the rest sorted!

New Poll