corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Head gasket failure? Also revving high!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Head gasket failure? Also revving high!
garner90

User status: Offline
27th Nov 09 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

I suspect my head gasket might be going but im not 100% sure. Its a Corsa 1.6 16v sport.

The car gets really hot and doesnt cool back down until the dial reaches 100 degrees! Obviously I cant keep running it until 100.

Also, the heaters in my car blow cold all the time.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Thanks

G

P.S. When the clutch is to the floor or the car is sat in neutral (sp) the revs keep rising up and up, anyone know what this could be?
Root

27th Nov 09 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does the fan kick in? It should be literally 96-97 degrees when the fan kicks in.

Cold air could be a blockage, heater matrix, HG job.

As for revving, pop the bonnet and see if the throttle cable is getting stuck on any other cables or anything. it's just under your airbox.
garner90

27th Nov 09 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

No its not the throttle cable mate as it only does it when the clutch is down or its idling, if I take my foot of the accelerator whilst driving the revs start too fall :S

The fan is on a switch in the car mate so I just keep the fan running, it still gets hot though.

How can I solve an air blockage?
Root

27th Nov 09 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by garner90
Thanks for the quick reply.

No its not the throttle cable mate as it only does it when the clutch is down or its idling, if I take my foot of the accelerator whilst driving the revs start too fall :S

The fan is on a switch in the car mate so I just keep the fan running, it still gets hot though.

How can I solve an air blockage?

Erm, that's weird, I've seen bikes rev like that before, but only due to either cables being stuck or the choke being pulled out. These cars use an automatic choke though. Not too sure on that. It could be that the clutch is slipping...that's what I'd say it was...how old is the clutch? Also...this may sound really chavvy, but my clutch is slipping, I first started to realise when I went to wheelspin and the car didn't, I gave it enough revs, let the clutch out and it just pulled away rather sluggishly...was only a 1.2 8v engine though but it used to spin.

About the heaters, do you mean it blows out cold air when you try to make hot air come out or do you mean it literally blows cold air all the time (even when the fan settings are at 0)

[Edited on 27-11-2009 by Root]
garner90

27th Nov 09 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The heaters are blowing cold air when they should be blowing cold, Its freezing!

I should be more specific in my posts !
Root

27th Nov 09 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The heaters are blowing cold air when they should be blowing cold, Its freezing!

I should be more specific in my posts !

Read my edited post about your revs, you mean they blow cold air when they should be blowing hot.
First and foremost, check if your have sufficient coolant in your system...mine was blowing cold air a few weeks ago, then the temperature went up to 95 and I realised I had no coolant
garner90

27th Nov 09 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
Read my edited post about your revs, you mean they blow cold air when they should be blowing hot.
First and foremost, check if your have sufficient coolant in your system...mine was blowing cold air a few weeks ago, then the temperature went up to 95 and I realised I had no coolant

Jesus you can tell its early lol Thanks for the help mate. I dont know how old the clutch

I dont even have 'coolant' (unless thats just water in which case I have it but I am filling it up everyday)
Root

27th Nov 09 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well in the winter you need to be using coolant with antifreeze to stop it siezing in the pipes but in the summer water on it's own is 100% fine.

erm, why you filling up every day? are you losing that much water?
garner90

27th Nov 09 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea using alot of water. Well I say using, there isnt steam coming out the exhaust like I thought there would be if the head gasket was going. It just seems to be going. Could be a leak but there is never any mess under the car :S
Root

27th Nov 09 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yea using alot of water. Well I say using, there isnt steam coming out the exhaust like I thought there would be if the head gasket was going. It just seems to be going. Could be a leak but there is never any mess under the car :S

sounds like your clutch is slipping for the revs and your head gasket is gone/going what with the 100 degrees etc I would say that's the thermostat gone.

All your symptons your telling me suggests you need a new head gasket, thermo and water pump.

But check that it's not leaking out of any hoses or that you don't have a big fat hole in your rad...
If not, buy a head gasket, I got mine for £12 when I did mine (luckily I didn't need to change the thermo or pump as it hadn't cocked up that badly and I'm still driving happily now but what with your symptons I think you'd have to.

[Edited on 27-11-2009 by Root]
garner90

27th Nov 09 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just out of interest, where is the water pump?

Im going to get the water system pressure tested tommorow.

I hope the head gasket isnt going!

Also above you mentioned an air lock... How can i fix an air lock?
Root

27th Nov 09 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Just out of interest, where is the water pump?

Im going to get the water system pressure tested tommorow.

I hope the head gasket isnt going!

Also above you mentioned an air lock... How can i fix an air lock?

You mean for the heaters, fix the HG first (if it is that, check for leaks in hoses and rad, also check oil filler cap for mayo) and see if that'll also cure your heaters
garner90

27th Nov 09 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats another thing, there is no mayo on filler cap or in dipstick :S

Thanks for all these fast replys though mate!
Root

27th Nov 09 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thats another thing, there is no mayo on filler cap or in dipstick :S

Thanks for all these fast replys though mate!

no problem, if there's no mayo in your dipstick that's good, but if there's no mayo on your filler cap (sometimes you get a little from condensation, which is normal), then...I'm clueless
garner90

27th Nov 09 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well you have given me plenty of things that I can be getting on with to try and solve the problem

There are a lot more problems with the car aswell(non engine related) so It could be time for the corsa to go

Thanks again for your help and fast replys mate
Root

27th Nov 09 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha, swap you for my 1.2 8v? lol it has an alarm.
garner90

27th Nov 09 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH I wouldnt want to give you my car due to all its problems
Root

27th Nov 09 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u'ed lol
garner90

27th Nov 09 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Root was a great help to me and I will be using his advice to try and solve the problems.

Does anyone else have any ideas on the topic?
macky

27th Nov 09 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try replacing the crank sensor to solve the revving...it fixed mine; for 1 week
Ant

27th Nov 09 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right reving could be a number of things, air leak in the inlet system mosy obvious, to check just spray carb cleaner round the inlet manifold after the throttle body, if the engine note changes you found your problem, apart from that could be a management issue like crank sensor though im sure that would also cause issues under load, not to clued up on the smaller engines do they ICV anyone...

as for heat its either an air lock which you can normally cure by draining the system, or the cable has fallen off the back of the adjuster dial (quite common)
garner90

27th Nov 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ant
right reving could be a number of things, air leak in the inlet system mosy obvious, to check just spray carb cleaner round the inlet manifold after the throttle body, if the engine note changes you found your problem, apart from that could be a management issue like crank sensor though im sure that would also cause issues under load, not to clued up on the smaller engines do they ICV anyone...

as for heat its either an air lock which you can normally cure by draining the system, or the cable has fallen off the back of the adjuster dial (quite common)

Going on what you and others have said im putting the heaters down to an air lock. I recently put all the water pipes back on the car as i put a new engine in. Its not the switch though as when you turn it you can hear it change from hot to cold if you get me?

New Poll