corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Confused Oil Seems sticky and creamy!!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Confused Oil Seems sticky and creamy!!!!
ra5ax

User status: Offline
20th Feb 06 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My oil seems to have built up a really thick texture mainly around the filler cap its quite a smooth texture but it comes of in really sticky light brown/white lumps. ive heard before this could be a sign of a headgasket problem but im not exactly clued up on engines. can anyone help? the car seems to run ok it does about 80 miles to a tenner and makes tapping noises until its warm but other than that it runs well, is the oil thing a problem or is that just normal old age?

Cheers Guys
Rileysport

20th Feb 06 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Head gasket by the sound of it
Nick A

20th Feb 06 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What year is your car
x14xe

20th Feb 06 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah sounds like an early indication of head gasket failure.

Another common problem with a head gasket failure is water not moving round the engine properly. You may notice the heater not being hot, if this is the case, it is definatly head gasket failure.

If not it could be water vapour coming through into the engine some how, perhaps the seal around the dipstick is not in good order.

Just keep an eye on oil levels and water levels.
ra5ax

20th Feb 06 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the cars a 97 as said done a few miles now ive done 50000 since i had it 2 years ago

if it is the headgasket are they easy to do yourself or not. im quite mechanically minded i do most of my own service but im realy not clued up about engines
x14xe

20th Feb 06 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What engine is it?

If its an X14XE or something like that its abit of bitch getting the head off, you gotta take loads of bits off, when its off though its easy, just peel off old head gasket, clean up the faces on the block and head, put new gasket on block, put head back on, tighten up bolts, put everything back together, connect all connectors and vacuum pipes, change oil and water, fire her up!!
Cybermonkey

20th Feb 06 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS how can any of you determine thats head gasket failure could well be condensation forming in the sump and mixing with the oil. Unless the engine is running rough, heaps of white smoke when engine is warm from exhaust, or the coolant is contaminated, you cannot tell if its head gasket just be creamy gunk!!
it MIGHT be head gasket, but it might not be. best thing would be to get a compression test done. water jacket on cylinder 3 has probably ruptured. common-ish on 14XE
ra5ax

20th Feb 06 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a 1.2 8v looks simple nothing covered up etc

theres no smoke out of the exhaust, and the engine doesnt feel to be running rough. ill get a compression test done cheers
smoothie SRI

20th Feb 06 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this in my 1.2 8v it is down to air getting in to the engine some where on mine it was down to a craked sump so check for oil leaks under the car.
x14xe

20th Feb 06 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It probably aint head gasket if its running ok,

Even if it is, its pretty easy on these engines. Loads of room to work in aswell

New Poll