corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Head Gasket or Not

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Head Gasket or Not
DannyParker

User status: Offline
   13th Aug 07 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all, I replaced my rocker cover gasket on Saturday as it was dribbling oil out. Filled it up later with abuit 2 litres of oil.

Next Day went to Tesco for weekly morning breakfast and engine management light came on. parked up then realised every were I'd been theres a drop of oil every metre or so, looked underneath and it was drippin constantly. So popped bonnet to look were it was coming from.

There it was comin from the head near the oil filter, opened the coolant cap and water started gushing out but could here like air which was trapped. Looked under the oil cap, no mayonaise substance but a very very small drop of water. I've had no power loss, its actually better since Ive changed the rocker cover gasket and theres no white smoke. But the temp is quite high 96-98 and when Idle its sitting at about 1200 revs which is more than usual.

I'm sh***in it as I dont have £250-400 spare right now lol. Getting it looked at tonight but I'd just like to hear your thoughts and experiences. Thanks people
Hamish

13th Aug 07 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
opened the coolant cap and water started gushing out but could here like air which was trapped.

coolent is a presurised system . Sounds like youve just got an oil leak to me. Doesnt sound like any symtoms of a head gaskets failing

[Edited on 13-08-2007 by Hamish]
Dean_W

13th Aug 07 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it using water? Is it using oil? Is it smoking? Do the coolant pipes go hard when the car is running?
DannyParker

13th Aug 07 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not using a load of water no, using oil yeah as its leaking quite fast and drops onto the manifold so is burning and smoking. Yes the coolant hoses go hard,

Thanks
Dean_W

13th Aug 07 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best thing to do instead of guessing is go and ask a garage to do a sniffer test. This will tell you if there are any exhaust fumes in the coolant system.
Will_Sport

13th Aug 07 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

water would gush out when you open the filler cap on the coolant resevoir as its pressurised, and when you release the pressure it'll gush out (bit like shaking a bottle of coke, and opening it)

if it was headgasket i'd expect it to be using coolant (white smoke out the back), or burning oil (blue smoke out the back)

if its from the head and the gasket aint gone, you may have a warped head, or the head has been off at some point and not tightened down enough or properly.
DannyParker

13th Aug 07 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would changing the rocker cover gasket then filling it with oil have anything to do with it?

Smoke comes out the back when it's idle but nothing out the ordinary as I've seen a coras with a blown head gasket billowing smoke. I just though some symptoms might not apply to ever situation.

I'll take a picture tonight of where the oil is leaking from. What can cause a warped head?
Will_Sport

13th Aug 07 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

warped heads are caused by ragging when cold (ie warms up to quick and warps).

when you say leaking from the head...... i assume you means where head joined the block......

do you actually means its coming from the rocker cover joins the head?

plus - did you use any gasket sealant when fitting the new rocker cover?
DannyParker

13th Aug 07 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I've taken a crappy phone camera pic after attemptin to clean my engine to try and show were it's leaking from.

Thanks for all your help, appreciate it. First car so paranoid of getting ripped off by a garage becasue I don't know much.
Will_Sport

14th Aug 07 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what engine is it?

does look like its leaking from head-block join.

as long as it isn't using coolant, or burning oil, i wouldn't expect gasket failure if its a 1.4/1.6xe.

if its a different engine then i don't know, could be warped head, cracked head, maybe gasket, head not fitted properly.

either way, getting a 2nd hand head will cost bugger all

take it to a garage and let them have a look (a free look!) if it needs new head or something like that, try and source one yourself.
DannyParker

14th Aug 07 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a 1.4XE, its going to cost moeny to sort though no matter what I think. Say if I sourced a new head how much should I expect a grage to charge to replace it?

Thanks for all your help Will

New Poll