corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Head Gasket replacement isnt cheap :(

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Head Gasket replacement isnt cheap :(
Nath

User status: Offline
4th Apr 04 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So if i was to supply the parts to a garage what would i require and where from?

I hear autovaux are good.
mike_1.2LS96

4th Apr 04 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it would be, 8 head bolts, gasket - for starters. New timing belt, and other gaskets wouldn't hurt to fit either while its all out.
miles

5th Apr 04 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can check if its warped when it comes off. My gasket just blew so I stopped and didn't drive it again, so no warping.

You need a set of head bolts (10) £1each ish
Head gasket - (£18)
Exhaust manifold gasket (£5)
Upper inlet manifold gasket (£2?)
Then if the head is skimmed you'll need a lower inlet manifold gasket.
Depends if you want to change the cam belt as well, cam belt is about £15, the kit about £75. If you do supply the parts ask the garage if they will do you a cash price, and make sure you get all that parts that they say you will need for the job.
DangerousDave16v

5th Apr 04 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nath,

i have the same car as you and my head gasket has just gone, i thought my car was indestructable! ive been using rad -weld and ce-lit to try and stop the water loss, which has been working well (running perfectly, with no misfire and no water loss) but i know it wont last. im gonna do mine after ive had a good read of the haynes, but i know its not that easy due to the lack of space in the engine bay.

ive also been quoted bout £450 from various places inc vauxhall, one place offered me £80 inc parts, but i smiled and declined! think they thought i had the 8v
Adam_B

5th Apr 04 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did mine myself a few weeks ago, its not that hard. I bought a complete top gasket set, cyl head bolts, cam belt and a torque wrench, had it done in a week. The only other time id seen the insides of an engine was about 2 yrs ago at college, Ford OHV 1.1 got some pics and stuff somewhere...
Adam_B

5th Apr 04 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=130538
mike_1.2LS96

5th Apr 04 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you drain the oil Adam B? I want to do it on my engine while its out, but don't want to drain the oil
mike_1.2LS96

5th Apr 04 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cos it needs to be warm to drain easier
mike_1.2LS96

5th Apr 04 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bttt
Red_SXi

5th Apr 04 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nath was that you with P4UL when u came round my house the other day? If it was that explains why u weren't very talkative If it weren't you it must have just been one of Paul's miserable mates
Nath

5th Apr 04 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Red_Sxi
Nath was that you with P4UL when u came round my house the other day? If it was that explains why u weren't very talkative If it weren't you it must have just been one of Paul's miserable mates

cheeky fuck! Yeh that was me! Sorry if i wasnt all smiles, al least now you know why

My car is booked in for next tuesday. Decided against doing it myself as my parents have kindly offered to pay half of what ever its gonna cost. Been told if the head needs skimming it'll cost no more that £470. So i'm preparing to pay that, if it less then BIIIIIG bonus!! Also i rang for about 10 quotes and none were less than what i'm paying. Its also gonna take 2-3 days as nobody round MK seems to have the ability to skim heads, all the work gets carried out by a 3rd party.

miles

5th Apr 04 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jeeze, I paid someone £120 for the labour and I bought the parts on my old 1.4 16v, the joys of living in a third world country....
Nath

5th Apr 04 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparently everyone in MK is rich, we pay over the odds for everything! Stupid new town!!!!!!!!!!
davevans1234

30th Jul 09 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i done my corsa sport for 80 quid and it still ok to this day lol

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll