corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » quick rear disk questions as im hearing different things......

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author quick rear disk questions as im hearing different things......
M2RTY

User status: Offline
4th Mar 04 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1. i have not yet took the spacer off the corsa axel, some people say it stays on and some say it comes off. i thought it was grinded off?

2. my bolts which hold the hub on (4 each size) are a star head but a socket fits over, the astra ones were normal hexagonal bolts. ive bought some alan key ones off a nova j reg to use as space is tight - do they fit ok?

3. on my corsa, the main handbrake cable goes to the passenger side and the short ones goes to the drivers side. ive been told by a lad that he used the main corsa to the drivers side and a short passenger side? thats the wrong way round aint it?

4. daimo used the astra gte brake pipes and bent them to fit the new disks, is this easiest to do?

cheers again, need it welding up 2night hopefully

marv
Adam-D

4th Mar 04 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not sure but i think the long cable goes to passenger side and short to drivers
but id have to go outside to check to be 100%

i wouldnt have thougt it mattered thou
lee mitchell

4th Mar 04 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

long to drivers side and a short nova to passenger side. easy to bent the brake lines.
M2RTY

4th Mar 04 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lee so i just re-route the long one over to the drivers side from the passenger side (need 2 buy a new 1 anyway as old one is fucked) and buy a short nova one?

bend astra or corsa brake lines? is flexi pipes still ok?

and i can use nova alan key bolts ok too?

and the corsa plate comes off? i see the 8 welds daimo was on about, he said he cut them off, but as they are on the plate anyway it dosnt matter?

cheers

sfxer

4th Mar 04 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used the corsa brake lines.

i also used the original corsa bolts ??(torx drive bolts) but nova ones should fit. my torx bolts fitted when i widened the hub carrier.

the handbrake cable you need is the short one that goes from the drivers side accross the rear beam to the passenger side.

the corsa spacer plates MUST come off else the astra ones wont fit.
M2RTY

4th Mar 04 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate i knew ud come to help also

i know what u mean with the torx drive bolts, i dont know if im going to widen the carrier (is this the same as the spacer?) think im going to wident he metal on the spacer and simply seem weld it all the way round, nova ones should give me the clearence i need

im grinding off corsa spacers 2night, HOPEFULLY will all go 2 plan, need car for weekend too not fussed if it dont have a handbrake like
sfxer

4th Mar 04 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there seems to be lots of different astra hubs and carriers, mine was wider than my corsa carrier so it needed widening, if yours dont then that should save you some work

[Edited on 04-03-2004 by sfxer]
lee mitchell

4th Mar 04 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mistake long one is passenger side for some reason i was thinking the driver sits on the right all i did was grind them bits of metal off then put the hubs on to that if u know what i mean
M2RTY

4th Mar 04 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry lee u lost me mate dont have it infront of me so i cant bloody remember anything, got my axel off after a 4 hour battle with it, working in my pit in the garage and trying to suspend the car above the pit is a nightmare as theres nothing to jack it up off took ages to get it safe!

i cut the long passenger side cable off doh so i need a new corsa passenger side long cable (as was on the car already) and a short nova drivers side one from the adjuster to the drum

also lee, daimo said he had 8 welds to grind off, on mine there are attached to the corsa spacer facing the drum, so when the spacer comes off the welds will still be attached to it so i dont see how this will make the wheels sit further in unless his was different?

cheers
sfxer

4th Mar 04 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

8 welds??

my corsa spacer was held on with three sides welded, the astra spacer has only two sides welded.

my corsa one was slightly wider than the astra one. thats why i have a narrower track at the back now. really helped with my arch rubbing!
M2RTY

4th Mar 04 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, like 8 brake pad shape welds which had been skimmed down on the face of the corsa spacer plate in a circle which the hub used to sit onto
sfxer

4th Mar 04 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats what was on the corsa spacers, and thats what made the difference to the width at the rear.
sfxer

4th Mar 04 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think mine had welds though looked machined that way
M2RTY

4th Mar 04 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hummmm my plates seem to be about the same size, when i re-drill them they JUST to say fit ok by looking at it
lee mitchell

4th Mar 04 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

THEYRE NOT WELDS JUST BITS OF METAL. GRIND THEM OFF SO THE SURFACE IS FLAT
Daimo B

4th Mar 04 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

8 bits??? Did i? must have been a typo lol.

Nahh, i said they look similar to brake pads. Grind em off as lee said above. Should give u 3-4mm extra clearence for the wheels to top of arch as well.
starkie

4th Mar 04 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any of you have photos of what need cut etc
sfxer

4th Mar 04 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the bits shaped like brake pads that Daimo is talking about are on the spacer that I removed form the car, no need to grind them off if your replacing the whole spacer.?

New Poll