corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » computer help! please read!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author computer help! please read!
CorsaLad

User status: Offline
   16th Feb 03 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a few days ago a file got corrupted on my pc and a backup copy was loaded automatically. this was fine but then i couldnt connect to the internet because the dialup phone number was wrong. so i phoned my isp and thats sorted. then i couldnt sign into msn or hotmail and msn messenger wouldnt load up. so ive downloaded it again but it still hasnt solved the problem!

any ideas how to fix it would be really helpful!

theres a file in an email that i really need to get hold of, so please try and help

[Edited on 16-02-2003 by CorsaLad]
CorsaLad

16th Feb 03 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Icy

16th Feb 03 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaLad

SetH

16th Feb 03 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How did the file get corrupted? what kind of file was it? i am taking you mean it was an attachment within an email? Why did you lose your dial up settings etc? Im not exactly sure what you are getting at m8?
IntaCepta

16th Feb 03 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how the hell did that happen!?
bit bizare.
Steve
Premium Member

16th Feb 03 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like summit fooked in the registry or summit, wot version of winodws are u running? if XP then do a system restore to a point earlier than the problem date. If your running any other windows, then id do a backup of all your important files delete the active partition, recreate the partition and reformat your hard disk and reinstall windows afresh. If your going to do this make sure youv got all ur drivers handy, and make a list of all the stuff on ur PC graphics card model etc. Pay particular attention to ur modem cos if you can internet access you can get the rest of the drivers from there, if u need ne more help then let me know, or email at steve106gti@aol.com
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

16th Feb 03 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

without a closer look,a suggestion is to backup important files, format, and reinstall Windows. Quick dirty but effective.
CorsaLad

16th Feb 03 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok well i turned on the pc and a blue screen came up and said a file has been corrupted and a backup copy of the system will be loaded. My desktop then appeared as it did about 1 year ago and loads of settings had changed e.g. mp3 files were played in media player instead of winamp etc. yes i do mean an attachement. the dial up settings were old and not the new ones so they were out of date and so wouldnt connect!
CorsaLad

16th Feb 03 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i still cant access hotmail or msn messenger
CorsaLad

16th Feb 03 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve - i'm running windows 98! sounds quite complicated what you described?!
CorsaLad

16th Feb 03 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve
Premium Member

16th Feb 03 at 15:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, have u gotta windows 98 cd?
CorsaLad

16th Feb 03 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just checking mate...
CorsaLad

16th Feb 03 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh ive got a copy of windows 98 and 2000!
Steve
Premium Member

16th Feb 03 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first u need to determine wether ur 98 CD is bootable, if uv gotta Windows 98 Boot disk then use that *GOTO SECTION 2 IF U HAVE A bOOT DISK* . If u havent gotta 98 boot disk then go into the BIOS, (press DEL, F2, or F1) wen u first turn the computer on, look thru ur bios until u find the order which the PC looks to boot from, this will look summit like

First Boot Device: Floppy 3.5"
Second Boot Device: HDD-0
Third Boot Device: CD-ROM

You need to set the First Boot device to CD-ROM there shuld be some kind of instructions on changing each one sumwhere in your bios. Once CD ROM is set to First, then switch off ur machine, insert the 98 CD ROM first. Boot back up with the 98 CD ROM. It will ask u to press any key to Boot from CD. Hit any key

Section 1:

A blue screen will come up. It will load some files be patient. I cant remember off hand the exact order it goes in but basically u need to delete the primary partition it will be in the list. Then recreate the partition, it will be self explanatory when ur there. Hit enter on the partition to format it in Fat 32. it will go away and format it. Then it will give you the option to install windows on that partition. Proceed to install windows and all shuld be good.

Section 2:

Using the boot disk. Boot the machine up with the floppy in the drive. The machine will load a few CD ROM drivers and u will eventually be presented with a dos prompt will look like A:\>. Type in fdisk hit enter. Press the number to delete active partition. Once deleted at the main menu hit the number to create a partition. Once created reboot the machine with the Floppy in the drive. you will get A:\> agen. Type Format c: and hit enter. It will format the hard disk. Once its done restart the machine yet agen with the floppy in the drive. type d: and it shuld switch to D:\>. Insert the windows 98 CD and type in setup and hit enter. Read from Section 1 to install windows..

[Edited on 16-02-2003 by Steve106GTi]
CorsaLad

16th Feb 03 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks alot mate! ill have a look for a windows 98 boot disk. which way do u think is easier? also i have A: floppy, C: hard disk, d: hard disk and V: cd. not sure if the hard disk is split into two or whether i actually have two hard disk drives in the machine
Steve
Premium Member

16th Feb 03 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its split into two then there will be two partitions u only need to delete the Active partition, the easiest way is if ur 98 CD ROM is bootable, u dont have to worry about ne of that FDISK crap,
CorsaLad

16th Feb 03 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this may sounds stupid but how do i know if my windows 98 disk is bootable? ive got some really important work on my pc and need to work on it alot this week. so i dont want to cock anything up, lol
Steve
Premium Member

16th Feb 03 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ul need to back all that up to CDRW or summit, cos this will wipe everything. The only way u can find out is by putting the CD in the machine and trying to boot off as per the instructions
CorsaLad

16th Feb 03 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cool, i havent got a cdrw, lol. im a bit stuck really! lol
IntaCepta

16th Feb 03 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there should be a file that looks like
io.sys or something
think that means its bootable and its hidden
CorsaLad

16th Feb 03 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh cheers mate
Steve
Premium Member

16th Feb 03 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u aint gotta CDRW then take the hardisk outta the machine, open up another machine unplug the CD ROM and plug it into the back of the hardisk, plug a power plug into the Hardisk and u shuld be able to view it wen u boot the other machine up, copy over the files from it to the other machine.If you cannot see it, there will be a jumper on the back of the HDD, set it to either cable select (CS) or slave (S)
CorsaLad

16th Feb 03 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i really appreciate you giving me this advice but it seems quite complicated and i mean i know a bit abotu computers but ive got a feeling i cud end up fucking my pc up
Steve
Premium Member

16th Feb 03 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol nah it aint all that bad, its worse trying to explain how to do it then actually doin it. Y dont u send me ya hard disk with a tenner thru the post and il sort it out, back up ya files and install 98 on it, then all ul have to do is put the drivers on

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll