corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless BB Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless BB Help
Craig6682

User status: Offline
16th Feb 04 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gonna get a laptop in the next few weeks or so. I'm gonna get a wireless Broadband modem thingy and one of those cards you plug into the laptop. Can ppl halp me as i dunno wot i'm looking for. I have a Freeserve 512 Broadband con
NeilsC

17th Feb 04 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check out www.belkin.com all my stuff is from there
CRB 553

17th Feb 04 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

broadand router, and a wireless lan 802.11b card

look on overclockers for the d-link gear if u get d-link router and pcmcia card u get 22Mbs transfer over a network. u can have any number of wireless connection to the router btw not just ur laptop.
drunkenfool

17th Feb 04 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the newest standard, 802.11g runs at 54mbps and has an increased range to the old 11/22mbps wireless standard. Something like this would be perfect as a router...
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52730

But you would need an ADSL modem with ethernet connection (not USB) to connect to it. If you dont have one, then you can pick them up pretty cheap. (Works out cheaper than wireless router/adsl modem combined). Then to conenct to the router, you would either need PCI cards for desktops like these....

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52628 (if you get that particular one, make sure you got the latest drivers)
and to connect laptops, you will need something like this...
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52627
drunkenfool

17th Feb 04 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or if it is just the 2 computers, do away with the router, and set up an Ad-hoc (peer to peer) network, with just the 2 wireless cards connecting the computers, and ICS (internet connection sharing, built into windows) to share the broadband. Depends on how much £ you have and what you need.
Craig6682

17th Feb 04 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will i loose speed though? This is important! At the mo i'm using 800 kbps adsl modem.

Will run my other two comps from it too using PCI cards. Can only use one at a time so only one will prob be connected
drunkenfool

17th Feb 04 at 00:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with a network you can use all of them at the same time, but you will only notice a drop in speed if they were all downloading large files.
Tiesto

17th Feb 04 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got d-link router but pci card for connection to my pc, word of advice if you on bt openworld you gonna have trouble setting it up

i had to set up a proxy program to share internet connection took me ages, but otherwise gear is good and reliable

New Poll