corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Internet question!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Internet question!
CORSA NUT

User status: Offline
   31st Dec 03 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right now i'm not sure on this so you lot are gonna have to help me out

My neice wants to bring her computer round to my house and use it in another room.I have BB on mine.Can she have a dial up connection like i used to have and me have the BB? Will it interfear with mine if were both on at the same time ie speed?

Also if i got say 1 meg can we both be on the same BB connection but look at diff things and not affect each other?

Thanks in advance for any help.Exuse me for being thick

Alan
sdlcrosby

31st Dec 03 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, i have 2 comps running off bb, my comps r networked though
Nismo

31st Dec 03 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah if your routers got a built in switch/hub and have say 4 sockets just run an ethernet cable into hers , or if its like a USB router just plug a switch into it then run both machinees through the switch.
Dom

31st Dec 03 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes your neice can use a dialup connection (make sure her pc has a modem in it and a ISP dial supplier) and it will NOT effect your BB

And yes you can share you BB connection, by networking the computers together (either hard wired or wireless) using a router or a HUB, the former being the best and easiest option However, you dont need to have a 1mbit connection, you can just stick to your 512/600kbit connection etc Unless, shes going to be gaming/downloading etc

hope this helps mate
CORSA NUT

31st Dec 03 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Explain a bit more matey..Networked? So you can look at diff things at the same time and it don't go any slower?

Do you have to pay double for that?
CORSA NUT

31st Dec 03 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow give me time to read these they were not there befotre i wrote that ^^^^
Dom

31st Dec 03 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Networked basically means connecting two or more computers together, using a connection called RJ45 (thinks thats correct) or BNC, that allows them to communicate together However, i take it is only a temporary thing? If so, i wouldnt really bother mate, unless its for some period of time

And no it doesnt cost more to share your BB connection, unless you go for a work broadband package from your ISP supplier - which your not going to do

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by VisibleMan]
CORSA NUT

31st Dec 03 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
Yes your neice can use a dialup connection (make sure her pc has a modem in it and a ISP dial supplier) and it will NOT effect your BB

And yes you can share you BB connection, by networking the computers together (either hard wired or wireless) using a router or a HUB, the former being the best and easiest option However, you dont need to have a 1mbit connection, you can just stick to your 512/600kbit connection etc Unless, shes going to be gaming/downloading etc

hope this helps mate

Thanks Nismo but i needed it in kid language like this guy told me!

Right mate i've only got 150K you see as i got it free for 6 weeks and i've never changed it as it does the job for me! If i ask NTL to sort this out for me would they do it? For a price like? I mean could they route them up? I would get a better connection like 1 meg anyway just to make it better...
CORSA NUT

31st Dec 03 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and it would be semi permenant
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Dec 03 at 00:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any internet connection can be piped all over the place once its inside your control. You're sharing it so it'll technically be slower, but the nature of browsing the web is that you'll both be making quick short downloads that won't overlap anyway. A lot of the time spent on the web your connection is idle. Reading this right now for example - chances are the connection isn't doing a lot bandwidth wise. Its not doing nothing, just not a lot.

There are many ways to share an internet connection - ranging from having your neices computer connected to yours and you sharing your connection - to a dedicated device that sits between both computers and the incoming broadband and not only routes more efficiently but also doesn't mean your computer has to be on for your neices connection to work.

Is this a long term thing or just one off?

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by Ian]
IntaCepta

31st Dec 03 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and info on wireless networks,
as i'm thinking of hooking up a few pcs in my house.
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Dec 03 at 00:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
using a connection called RJ45
Thats the plugs. The cable is called 'twisted pair', usually unsheilded in home/small office apps, hence 'UTP'. There are loads of other things as well, generally falling under the 'Ethernet' name.
quote:
or BNC
No - this very old and slow.
Dom

31st Dec 03 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can upgrade your NTL bb connection online and it wont take long to do. This can be done at www.ntlworld.com

As for the BB sharing, there are a number of ways to do it, depending on what you want from it and what you want it to do

Best best mate, pop over to www.nthellworld.co.uk , sign up and read and ask any questions in the broadband section Lots of ntl techs are in there and other bods and will be able to help you more than most of us
CORSA NUT

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Any internet connection can be piped all over the place once its inside your control. You're sharing it so it'll technically be slower, but the nature of browsing the web is that you'll both be making quick short downloads that won't overlap anyway. A lot of the time spent on the web your connection is idle. Reading this right now for example - chances are the connection isn't doing a lot bandwidth wise. Its not doing nothing, just not a lot.

There are many ways to share an internet connection ranging from having your neices computer connected to yours and you sharing your connection to a dedicated device that sites between both computers and the incoming broadband and not only routes more efficiently but also doesn't mean your computer has to be on for your neices connection to work.

Is this a long term thing or just one off?

I get you mate,so if nither of use is DLing stuff just say ones on MSN and i'm on here (most of the time) it would not matter?

It would be pretty permenant also.I just don't want either of us to be able to see what the other is on if you get me
CORSA NUT

quote:
You can upgrade your NTL bb connection online and it wont take long to do. This can be done at www.ntlworld.com

As for the BB sharing, there are a number of ways to do it, depending on what you want from it and what you want it to do

Best best mate, pop over to www.nthellworld.co.uk , sign up and read and ask any questions in the broadband section Lots of ntl techs are in there and other bods and will be able to help you more than most of us

Cheers mate i'll do that!
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Dec 03 at 00:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knowing what each other is doing is possible if you speak to the right geeks although you're not going to stumble across such information.

Speed won't be hugely affected by being on MSN on one and browsing on the other. Even if you notice it slower if you're both going to pages with loads of images in - garages on here for example - you can always upgrade later after you've discovered this, not before you begin to network them.
Dom

31st Dec 03 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best solution would be to go wireless. It will cost you abit, like 150 odd quid for the router and two pci/usb wireless adaptors for the pcs, but it will take you all of 30 minutes to setup and you can move any of the pcs around the house
Have a look on www.dabs.com for prices of "wireless routers" and "wireless adaptors" Or try ebay (where i got my stuff from)
Nismo

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT

Thanks Nismo but i needed it in kid language like this guy told me!

ah i c

CORSA NUT

I just don't want her to see what i'm looking at Ian!

Thanks for the help though mate
Dom

31st Dec 03 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I just don't want her to see what i'm looking at Ian!

No thats totally impossible, unless she knows how to intercept incoming "packets" of information to your pc and beable to piece it all together...very unlikely
CORSA NUT

31st Dec 03 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She is only 14 so i hope not

She's taller than me though go figure
IntaCepta

31st Dec 03 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't even think it would be possible to packet sniff, as she'll only be recieving 'her' packets and not your packets.

so no need to hold back on the pr0n
Dom

31st Dec 03 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HAHAHA mate lol

And just a quick note about the wireless network connection, if you do go for it, go for products that are 802.11g and NOT 802.11b - the former is the faster version (54mbits/sec) whereas the latter is only 11mbits/sec (slower version) and if your going to get the 1mbit bb connection from ntl, then the slower 802.11b wireless connection might not give the full potential of the BB connection. However, note the faster will cost a little more (for the wireless router and adaptors) than the slower version
Nismo

31st Dec 03 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
She is only 14 so i hope not

She's taller than me though go figure

she will be looking at the same thing , just use one pc then
CORSA NUT

31st Dec 03 at 01:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PMSL Nismo She is growing fast man!

Visible man-i will be getting the highest connection they have but i'll remember that thing you said.I wont be paying for any extra anyway as me sister is paying! Woohoooo do they do 2 meg??

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll