corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Computer Experts help....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Computer Experts help....
TOMAS

User status: Offline
30th Aug 03 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this thing actually a virus? I recieved this E-mail off of someone who had me in their address book, they claim it was sent to them by someone else who had them in their address book. I have the socalled virus, ive followed the below instruction which were sent to me in the E-mail. Its now sat in the Trash but want to make sure its a virus and not something else important before i empty it for good. It was found in System32...

Copy of E-mail...

Unfortunately a virus has been passed to me through an address book virus which has infected my address book. since you are in my address book, you most likely will find it in your computer, too. The virus (called jdbg.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee Anti-virus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is sent automatically by "messenger and by address book, whether or not you sent e-mail to your contacts.

Basically, that means you will pass it along unknowingly, as I may have. I was sent this email and am now passing it on to you as to how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it. Please do this! It's very simple to do and takes about 3 mins.

1. Go to START, then click your "Find" or "Search" option.

2. In the folder option, type the name ....jdbgmgr.exe

3. Be sure to search your C Drive and all the sub folders and any other drives you may have.

4. Click "Find Now"

5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN!

6. Go to Edit (on the menu bar) and choose "Select All" to highlight the file without opening it.

Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete. It will then go to the recycle bin. If you find the virus you must contact all the people in your Address Book so that they may eradicate the virus from their own address books.

To do this:

1. Open a new e-mail message.
2. Click the icon Address Book next to "TO"
3. Highlight every name and add to "BCC"
4. Copy this message and paste to e-mail.

Sorry for the trouble - this virus was passed to me and found too.

Any help recieved would be much appreciated - TOM.
m-dot

30th Aug 03 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never open emails your not sure of!
Tim
Site Administrator

30th Aug 03 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a well known hoax. Windows requires that file.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

[Edited on 30-08-2003 by Tim]
paul_spurrell

30th Aug 03 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hoax

New Poll