corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » corsa c tuning

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author corsa c tuning
blackula

User status: Offline
12th Aug 03 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the 1.2 untunable thing is a product of the fact fitting a big bore exhaust doesn't do much, whereas on older Corsa B's like the 1.4 it gave a good gain.

The 1.2 engine is also for example far more tuneable than something like the smaller Ford Zetecs.

How much do you think you'd have to throw at a VTR Saxo to get a power gain of more than 10%. Look at the Saxo dyno days, the people with zorts ans filters nearly have as much power as the people who have gone nuts with internal mods. The superchargers and Turbos are of course a different thing, but pricey

The days of Old Minis where just sawing the inlet off the exhast manifold (the engines were not crossflow design) gave you 5 bhp for no cash outlay except a hacksaw blade are gone.

The fact that changing the Inlet manifold gives 20 odd bhp must demonstarte the engine is 'restricted'.

If I have over 105 bhp, before touching cams, heads, exhaust then how can the little 1.2 be untuneable.

All tuning costs money and as the man said if its a why bother, then go get a old Turbo like a Silvia or knackered Cordia Colt, crank the boost up and run round in that till it blows up.
sxi boy

13th Aug 03 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

.......alternatively go buy a car that was actually built to go fast in the first place

if u wana go spent over £1k to get slightly over 100bhp on a 1.2 16v engine then by all means do, but for the same money you could be running 150bhp in a 2.0 16v
sxi boy

13th Aug 03 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by blackula

How much do you think you'd have to throw at a VTR Saxo to get a power gain of more than 10%. Look at the Saxo dyno days, the people with zorts ans filters nearly have as much power as the people who have gone nuts with internal mods. The superchargers and Turbos are of course a different thing, but pricey

on a vtr engine a sealed induction kit and full s/s exhaust system can take you from 98bhp to 110+bhp

on a vts engine the same mods plus a de-cat pipe will take you from 120bhp to 140+bhp

these engine are much more tuneable

at the end of the day, ur not guna get much from a 1.2 16v engine at all, and for the money, it makes more sense to go for an engine swap as there are much more possibilities
Gambit

13th Aug 03 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brilliant lets make a 1.2SXI go faster than a bog standard vtr & sri

sounds like a great idea, never heard so much bullshite in my life, sorry, dont give a damn about the figures your coming off with

wheelspin in 2nd gear in the dry, aye right
Gambit

13th Aug 03 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AgentBlue
do it for kicks
dont listen to all that 'why bother' 'it's a waste of time' malarky.
if that was the case why bother with a corsa at all.. I saw a lambo countach on autotrader last week for 14k go get that.

that was a replica

there is kicks & there is wasting your time
sxi boy

13th Aug 03 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit
brilliant lets make a 1.2SXI go faster than a bog standard vtr & sri

sounds like a great idea, never heard so much bullshite in my life, sorry, dont give a damn about the figures your coming off with

wheelspin in 2nd gear in the dry, aye right

Cybermonkey

3rd Dec 03 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its seems to be a waste of time doesnt it? Blackula, stop pissing money on an engine which aint going anywhere fast, save up your NCB for a year or two and get a X/C16XE or 20XE thrown in, stick it on TB's, and you will wonder why you ever bothered with the 1.2 in the first place.
blackula

3rd Dec 03 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Righto, well I already got full no claims, the 1.2 was too slow for me after owning quick and quicker cars and I pay 18 quid a month ins from Tesco.

I am also 30, and enjoyed tuning it.

I once wasted about 5 grand tuning a cossie at collins performance, i'm used to chucking money away.

But, the bad news is I just got a deposit down on a Civic Type R, looks solid enough for the kids and fast enough for me.

The Corsa is for sale.
Kris TD

3rd Dec 03 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.2 ha bugger all torque

bhp sells cars torque turns wheels
Paul_J

3rd Dec 03 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey blackula ... I was wondering who had actually fitted this inlet mainfold, as I was considering doing it myself - dblias was in talks with me about sponsering my car with one, but email communication with them is slow - they said they agreed, but I replied and still awaiting

In my opinion - you are a top guy blackula

Rarely anyone has the balls to do this sort of stuff, yes you can drop a bigger engine in but imo - thats not nearly as impressive as having a tuned 1.2 16v

The thing is, if you have a 2.0 16v and beat a vtr - so what? you have a 2.0 16v and they only have a 1.6 8v!

but if you beat a vtr in a 1.2 - its a 1.2 beating a 1.6 8v! its something to be more proud of.

If you end up beating GSi's down the strip, then it's madness when people say 'Woah? no way is that a 1.2, why have the badges on the back' and you open the bonnet and go 'look - it is a 1.2' and they feel ashamed to have got beaten by a 1.2!

Finally,

quote:
its seems to be a waste of time doesnt it? Blackula, stop pissing money on an engine which aint going anywhere fast, save up your NCB for a year or two and get a X/C16XE or 20XE thrown in, stick it on TB's, and you will wonder why you ever bothered with the 1.2 in the first place.

Wait 2-3 years... So what? your supposed to just twiddle your thumbs for 3 years before you can have a little fun?

People who buy 1.2 16v Sxi's on this board are usually young - they have em about a year and realise they're not as nippy as they first seemed and want a little more.

when they originally bought they're car they couldn't afford the insurance for anything bigger. So they got a 1.2 16v

Now they can afford something a little bigger, they can't pay for a huge engine conversion and feel its a bit of a waste when they're 1.2 16v only has about 30k on the clocks to chuck the engine. No one will want to buy someone's 1.2 16v engine when its been removed. So they look at modding it a bit.

It may also work out cheaper to insure than something like a 1.6 16v - as some insurers only add 10% for engine mods.

Overall, they get a little bit more performance, the satisfaction of being a bit different and the fact they modded it themselves.

If people like blackula and others wish to do this, why not let them? Sxi-Boy if they want to buy a clio16v thats up to them. I personally feel slightly attached to my car, since its my first car. I also doubt very much that I could afford insurance on something like a clio16v, so I'm stuck with my 1.2 16v.

I personally wouldn't like to just sit around twiddling my thumbs for 2-3 years till I build up some NCB.

If Dblias do me a good deal, I'm considering taking it - since it'll give me a bit more performance and when i want more - I'll be old enough to afford to insure more.

Thanks,

Paul J
M4tt

3rd Dec 03 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^Respect^^^
blackula

3rd Dec 03 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bhp sells cars torque turns wheels ? Did you know though that bhp is the speed the wheel can turn regardless of torque. Low torque figures can be fixed by gearing, remember how a pushbike and gears works.
In the case of a petrol car the gearing is always able to compensate as the horsepower is usually always a good percentage of the torque, even in Honda Vtecs, which have high power, below average torque. (for engine size). In a Diesel gearing is usually a compromise as they need large ratios for fuel economy taking advantage of torque and the relationship to the power is changed and diesels don't rev.

Not that there is anything wrong with Diesels, just making a statement to your Which magazine type comment.

Typical Diesel car magazine quote when they publish a report that the new Golf TDi is quicker than a Lamborghini (in 6th 20-40 mph)

[Edited on 03-12-2003 by blackula]

[Edited on 03-12-2003 by blackula]
sunny

3rd Dec 03 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry to highjack the tread but is a corsa c 1.4 able to be advance tune so that it only runs at 98RON???
Paul_J

3rd Dec 03 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

erm? yes that is a harsh hi-jack... not even on topic.

I believe the modern engine's have things that auto adjust depending on the ron of the fuel, so if you keep putting 98 ron in, it'll keep using it like that.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll