corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Small block gearboxes.. Talk to me..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Small block gearboxes.. Talk to me..
JuniorRod88

User status: Offline
14th Aug 16 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine conversion on the cards within the next year or two.. Staying small block because a big block engine in a Corsa b is far too heavy.. Now the 1800 16v engine I have decided to fit it roughly 120horse.. Currently in the car is a F10 or F13.. Definetly being replaced for something stronger with better ratios.. Currently the 1200 8v engine is doing 3500rpm at 70mph on the speedo.. Ideally I would like a box with quick 1,2, and 3 with fourth and fifth being longer for motorway use.. What boxes will do what I'm looking for?
Generation

User status: Offline
24th Aug 16 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A year or two

Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
24th Aug 16 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem being even if you look out for a particular F rating you'll normally also still have a choice of actual ratios.

There's nothing off the shelf that has quick low gears and a longer fourth and fifth, they're either close or wide ratio.

You can pick and choose gear set and diff but that's a big job stripping it down and I'd be getting it running in a car first and taking it back apart from that job if you're not happy afterwards.

So many other factors will affect it - where the power is, wheel size etc. really a low priority when there are other jobs in front of that one.

New Poll