corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Home router upgrade options

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Home router upgrade options
Ste
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Jun 16 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wanting to ditch my shitty talk talk router and get something a bit more stable. Looking at a ubiquiti access point and mounting it on the landing ceiling for maximum coverage

linky

Therefore not needing WiFi at the router. It's in a shit position for WiFi anyway.

What can you recommend. ADSL 2 btw

Thanks

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 16 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The draytek routers are a reasonable upgrade

I have that same AP btw on my ceiling if you check my house thread
DaveyLC

13th Jun 16 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DrayTek 2860 is a fantastic router!
Ian W

13th Jun 16 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the Ubiquiti AP in my house (bungalow), mounted it in the loft and it covers the whole place and garden.

Wanted to mount it on the ceiling but couldn't be bothered moving all the crap around the loft and lifting the boards to feed the cable though
Ste
Premium Member

13th Jun 16 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah saw yours Steve. That's what made me look into them. I'll have a look at those routers.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

13th Jun 16 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm personally using the cheaper UAP-AC-LITE model and it covers most if not all of our house.

Draytek is a very good router but you pay the privilege, you may even find by offloading the wireless onto a dedicated device then the talktalk router be able to cope alot better (ensure you can turn it off)
Ian W

13th Jun 16 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
I'm personally using the cheaper UAP-AC-LITE model and it covers most if not all of our house.

Draytek is a very good router but you pay the privilege, you may even find by offloading the wireless onto a dedicated device then the talktalk router be able to cope alot better (ensure you can turn it off)

+1

That is what I did, I just disabled the WiFi on my TalkTalk router but still use it for ADSL connection.

Wouldn't spend out on a Draytek for home usage tbh, apart from the cost I have had pretty poor reliability from them over the years, not so bad in work when I have a few spares but I wouldn't want to be sending it back for repair and waiting a week for it to come back.
willay
Premium Member

13th Jun 16 at 13:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had recently given my cisco router a break where it was doing routing/nat/firewall/wireless, now its in bridge mode doing just my ADSL-2-ethernet stuff, got a dedicated firewall and wireless ap (see above) - everything works much better now imo.
Ste
Premium Member

13th Jun 16 at 22:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers will, just started getting some cat 6 into the loft today.

[Edited on 13-06-2016 by Ste]

willay
Premium Member

14th Jun 16 at 08:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is literally no other AP to go to these days, they are absolutely killing it.
Dom

14th Jun 16 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
Wouldn't spend out on a Draytek for home usage tbh, apart from the cost I have had pretty poor reliability from them over the years...

What issues have you had with them?
Draytek's are my 'go to' for clients and apart from a DNS bug (in the 2920) i haven't had any problems; granted i spec them way over whats needed for the environments and they aren't remotely pushed/stretched.
They are expensive though but you can always pick them up relatively cheap from eBay if it's for home use.

Ubiquiti are solid, only really complaint is their POE spec for some items; Meraki is another option, haven't had a real issue with those (if you're happy to fart around for an hour then they can be bought cheaply, £30/40, from eBay and flashed with Cucumber/OpenWRT).

quote:
there is literally no other AP to go to these days, they are absolutely killing it.

They're fairly well spec'd against cost, so good for home/SMB, but i'm not sure they'd be the 'go to' for large environments; rather Ruckus etc.

[Edited on 14-06-2016 by Dom]
Steve
Premium Member

14th Jun 16 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got Meru managed here at the school
Ian W

14th Jun 16 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
Wouldn't spend out on a Draytek for home usage tbh, apart from the cost I have had pretty poor reliability from them over the years...

What issues have you had with them?
Draytek's are my 'go to' for clients and apart from a DNS bug (in the 2920) i haven't had any problems; granted i spec them way over whats needed for the environments and they aren't remotely pushed/stretched.
They are expensive though but you can always pick them up relatively cheap from eBay if it's for home use.

I have had three of them start running the LAN connection at 10mb rather than 100mb, fixed one with a firmware reflash but the other two had to go back to be repaired, I think another died due to over heating (server room is an oven, employers do not believe it needs aircon despite years of me saying otherwise).

They where earlier ones though, the latest batch I have of fibre compatible ones have been fine for over 12 months.
Ste
Premium Member

15th Jun 16 at 04:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought the pro version. May as well get the better one and keep a bit of future proof.

willay
Premium Member

15th Jun 16 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

They're fairly well spec'd against cost, so good for home/SMB, but i'm not sure they'd be the 'go to' for large environments; rather Ruckus etc.

100%, depending on budget of course. We got a new Ruckus system last year, 75 aps, absolutely smasshhhing it
willay
Premium Member

15th Jun 16 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Just bought the pro version. May as well get the better one and keep a bit of future proof.

Ste spending extra money shock

New Poll