corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Options on Extending Internet connection

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Options on Extending Internet connection
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Mar 11 at 10:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since moving back the rents for the next couple of years before I move back to my house I need options to extend the Internet connection up to my room on the third floor.

Don’t think I can use home plugs as I think the property runs on two circuits - just awaiting my dad to confirm.
I have three items I need to connect in my room
- PS3 for gaming and streaming - wired or wireless (providing wireless connection is good enough like I had it in the past when my router was 10ft away)
- PCH media player - Wired - Not critical to be connected just be nice to use the Internet services. I don’t stream any media
- Laptop - Wireless and its ok for day to day on a regular g router but would be useful to get to grips on N then I may start transferring more across the network to other laptops/wired PS3's

Wires are pretty much a no go as the router is in the middle of the house unless I go outside the house and up and back in and would quite like to have an ADSL modem and router combined if possible if this is the best option to take.

So really recommendations on a router (budget about £80/£100) and/or alternatives

[Edited on 17-03-2011 by Toby]
Brett
Premium Member

17th Mar 11 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wireless extender?
Toby
Premium Member

17th Mar 11 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had looked but nowhere for it on the second floor and if it was on the third floor (where i am) the signal would be pretty weak so not a lot to extend unless im missing the point with them?

VrsTurbo
Premium Member

17th Mar 11 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bridge the network. as long as you have power you can put routers where ever you like so you can join the networks together.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

17th Mar 11 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or get a second phone line installed + internet and have the terminiation in your own room.
John

17th Mar 11 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a phoneline can be run to the room a bit of cat5 and a switch can be done the same, except much cheaper.
Toby
Premium Member

17th Mar 11 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not really an option on getting another phoneline put in. Th nearest phone point is on the floor below and is wired in behind a fully fitted bedroom so cannot access it to run an extension off it. Not really sure how i go about splitting it off where the actual line enters the property

Would a wireless extender do a great deal to boosting the signal if i had it up on the third floor as that distance is the same as what i have now and its not great? My app on my phone suggests my current signal strenght is approx -70dBm/-75dBm and when i used to live in my house it was -45dBm as the router was 10ft away.

Also can you use them as a wired connection?

Also whatever i spend needs to be able to be used when i move back out and my property is only a three bed semi and nowhere near as big so a wireless extender will only last as long as i do at my rents again

adiohead

17th Mar 11 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the ethernet plug-in adaptors.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-85Mbps-Homeplug-Ethernet-Adapters/dp/B000SO94FA
Toby
Premium Member

17th Mar 11 at 11:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
Get the ethernet plug-in adaptors.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-85Mbps-Homeplug-Ethernet-Adapters/dp/B000SO94FA

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
Don’t think I can use home plugs as I think the property runs on two circuits - just awaiting my dad to confirm.

adiohead

17th Mar 11 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shit, missed that.
Toby
Premium Member

17th Mar 11 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he has confirmed that it actually runs on three circuits one for each floor
adiohead

17th Mar 11 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would HomePlugs work on different mains circuits (rings) in my house ?
There is mis-information about this subject on the web - the answer is Yes - limitations are as follows - the rings or circuits (such as upstairs and downstairs) mains must be on the same fuse box / consumer box. - if you have other configurations just call and we will do our best to advise.

Or just get wireless bridges.

You'd probably only need one, and if you don't need it anymore when you move chuck it on ebay

[Edited on 17-03-2011 by adiohead]
Toby
Premium Member

17th Mar 11 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm they are on the same fusebox i think, maybe problem solved
Russ

17th Mar 11 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
Bridge the network. as long as you have power you can put routers where ever you like so you can join the networks together.
Nismo

17th Mar 11 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easiest option is to run cat 5 out the side of the house up the wall and back into your room then just connect a 8 port unmanaged cheap switch or something.
oceansoul

17th Mar 11 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
Easiest option is to run cat 5 out the side of the house up the wall and back into your room then just connect a 8 port unmanaged cheap switch or something.

This. Ideally the ADSL modem should be connected to the first BT socket and no from an extension.
Toby
Premium Member

17th Mar 11 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

not that easy i have to go through at least two rooms each way to get out of the house.

Struggling to find that will do a 200mbps homeplug with at least two ports. Anyone know of any?
John

17th Mar 11 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't need 2 ports, just get a small switch, netgear do 5 port.
Dom

17th Mar 11 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

not that easy i have to go through at least two rooms each way to get out of the house.

Struggling to find that will do a 200mbps homeplug with at least two ports. Anyone know of any?

Could get around that by buying a switch; so homeplug to switch then all of your gear connects to the switch (wired of course).
Unless your router is of the N variety and you can get an N wireless extender (old Linksys WRT routers can act as extenders using custom firmware and although it'd only cost you £10 off ebay, it'll only connect a G or less), then i'd say Homeplugs are the way to go in getting the fastest connection. That's if Homeplugs will work; never used them so can't comment if they will work over multiple circuits (might be worth doing a little Googling).
Toby
Premium Member

17th Mar 11 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

Only issue is that i will struggle for a power source for the switch unless i go for a pass through homeplug and then its hiding the switch as the cables would be routed behind a plaster board partition.
Dom

17th Mar 11 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Only issue is that i will struggle for a power source for the switch unless i go for a pass through homeplug and then its hiding the switch as the cables would be routed behind a plaster board partition.

Surely the switch would be with the rest of your gear (ps3, tv, media player) on a shelf/in a cabinet, so you'd plug the switch in the 8-way/extension cable with the rest of the gear then run an ethernet cable to your homeplug. And where you router is, use a 3-way like >THIS<.

The ONLY issue with using a homeplug is that it isn't wireless, but you could stick a wireless adaptor on the switch which would sort that.
John

17th Mar 11 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get wireless homeplugs, devolo's for instance.
Dom

17th Mar 11 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You get wireless homeplugs, devolo's for instance.

Thought most of them are Nic based, shows you what i know about Homeplugs. Well this will sort Toby's problems if the Homeplugs can establish a connection being on seperate circuits.
John

17th Mar 11 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are hit and miss tbh, no real way to find out without plugging a couple in.
Toby
Premium Member

18th Mar 11 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we will find out tomorrow. Cheers

New Poll