corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Broadband Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Broadband Question
Munchie

User status: Offline
10th Nov 11 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys, looking to install wifi into our shop for the tenants to use in 2 flats above the shop.
Shop is similar to this

So.........where it says the letter A, reckon I can get reception all the way up to the top flat?

Looking at O2 unlimited broadband....dont really want to go for 1 of them extenders etc but any help would be cool!
Sam
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Highly unlikely you will get decent reception in the flats TBH.

Why are you providing your tenants free WiFi out of interest, surely they can get their own if they want it?
Munchie

10th Nov 11 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can hide the router as close to the bottom of the first flat as possible as we have fake ceilings.

We are charging them ontop of there rent (but blagged it so our shop gets it free haha)
Sam
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right OK.

I don't know what the height is between each level but I would recommend something like one of the following:

Option 1:

Router [Ground Floor] > CAT5 cable > WIFI repeater/switch [First Floor] > CAT5 cable > WIFI repeater/switch [Second Floor]

Option 2:

WiFi Powerline/home plug adapters

Option 1 is much cheaper than Option 2, however Option 2 is much easier to implement.
Munchie

10th Nov 11 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With a home plug though.........can you install router in shop (connected to home plug) and then connect another router to the first floor flat (connected to home plug) and it will be on the same wifi network?

Or do I simply need a wifi extender?

I need answer to this question for our house as well
Brett
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't see why it wouldn't work? Our standard router from the provider worked fine with full reception throughout our 3 story house.

[Edited on 10-11-2011 by Brett]
Munchie

10th Nov 11 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shall I just risk it then haha
Brett
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would. Worry about problems later. Extender isn't a massive cost if it comes to it.
Sam
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Munchie
With a home plug though.........can you install router in shop (connected to home plug) and then connect another router to the first floor flat (connected to home plug) and it will be on the same wifi network?

Or do I simply need a wifi extender?

I need answer to this question for our house as well

Some WiFi extenders (like the Netgear WN2000RPT which don't use a CAT5 cable to connect to the router) require a direct line of sight to your existing WiFi router so they are useless in this scenario.

Most extenders need a CAT5 cable to the router though so if you're not prepared to feed the cables between each floor then again this option is not for you.

Homeplugs as I say are the easiest options, you connect one to the router in the shop and additional ones (with WiFi antennas attached to them) in each flat.

This scenario will definitely work if you have one consumer unit/fuse box that controls the shop and the flats. If you have different consumer units, it *might* work - there's no guarantees though and the only way you can find out is just by trying I'm afraid.

[Edited on 10-11-2011 by Sam]
Munchie

10th Nov 11 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Sam! I will look into wifi extenders for the house instead of home plugs as I also need a CAT5 connection for my new home cinema amp that has airplay
Sam
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate give me a shout on here or FB when you decide what you're after and I'll sort you out with some good pricing!
Gary
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not jusy run some cat5 to each apt?
Sam
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of a mission running cable for two storeys IMO if he's only charging a bit on top of the rent for free WiFi.
Munchie

10th Nov 11 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I want to fit a wifi extender in our house.

I am currently on plusnet (with a crappy router) but need more wifi signal in our extension but on the same wifi network, so a wifi extender with a cat 5 connector is what I want.

Do your thingggggg haha. Oh im on ADSL as well not DSL.

and Gary- not really an option just yet....might just put the price up to the tenants by £1 a month to slowly pay for an extender
Sam
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You going to run CAT5 between the router and the extender?
Munchie

10th Nov 11 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh, at least for the amplifier.... TV ill just run off the Wifi probably
Gary
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 12:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Munchie
Well I want to fit a wifi extender in our house.

I am currently on plusnet (with a crappy router) but need more wifi signal in our extension but on the same wifi network, so a wifi extender with a cat 5 connector is what I want.

Do your thingggggg haha. Oh im on ADSL as well not DSL.

and Gary- not really an option just yet....might just put the price up to the tenants by £1 a month to slowly pay for an extender

Just run some conduit up the wall outside. Easy peasy and prob cheaper and better than repeaters
John

10th Nov 11 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd get the router in, see how far it goes then spend money if I had to after that.
Andrew

10th Nov 11 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that the shop? Looks like Kensigton to me!

Home Plugs is old buildings is a big no, the wiring will be terrible. In both my flats, Home Plugs are about as reliable as my Corsa. I'd only use it if i needed to! One flat is 18 months old and the other around 20 years using the original wiring.

These wireless extenders people are talking about are also pretty poor in terms or reliability.

So from my experience of 5 years in IT, you are going to get endless complaints using those two mickey mouse options.

My solution would be an access point in the loft and the router on the shop floor with the router a sensible distance from the ceiling.

In all honestly, you are making a rod for your own back here to save £20 a month. I'd have them supply there own BB and phone line.

[Edited on 10-11-2011 by Andrew]
Brett
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
In all honestly, you are making a rod for your own back here to save £20 a month on broadband. I'd have them supply there own BB and phone line.

True dat. It'll be you who has to sort it every time it's down or there's a problem, etc. Hardly worth while, unless you're a mega cheap ass of course.
Sam
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry Andrew but you don't half spout some shit on here.

You say "these wireless extenders people are talking about are also pretty poor in terms or reliability" yet you suggest to him to have a WiFi AP in the loft - firstly the AP IS an extender so by your wording you are telling him to go for an option that you think is shit anyway, secondly if he doesn't want to run cables through all levels of the flats how do you expect the AP to communicate with the router on the ground floor? And thirdly how is the first floor flat going to have good connectivity even being a "sensible distance from the ceiling"?

Oh and if we're comparing penis size here, I've been in IT for 15 years. But hey, what do I know. It's not like I do this for a living or anything.

Lastly - what is the point in saying home plugs are shit? You can get all different ones by different brands which run at different speeds over the wire... It's like saying "all Vauxhalls are shit" when you are really only referring to your Corsa.
moka

11th Nov 11 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for a wireless N router that has good reviews for range, get yourself some of those massive ebay wifi aerials for 10-20 quid to potentially make the range even better and test it.... If not you might have to try homeplugs or cat5.

EDIT

I have seen some satellite shaped ones too somewhere. Not sure how good they are though!

[Edited on 11-11-2011 by moka]

New Poll