corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Robin Williams Dead

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Robin Williams Dead
ed

User status: Offline
14th Aug 14 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p
quote:
Originally posted by John
Is depression really a disease? Is it not more a state of mind (whether easy to get out of that state or not is another matter) nothing is physically broken is it?

Jesus christ, John. Count yourself very lucky at your clear lack of knowledge with regards to such a topic.

How come? The phrase depression covers quite a broad range of things from a normal reaction to something bad to clinical depression which is an illness.
Jason x
Premium Member

14th Aug 14 at 23:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he died from his own death

p

14th Aug 14 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by p
quote:
Is depression really a disease? Is it not more a state of mind (whether easy to get out of that state or not is another matter) nothing is physically broken is it?

Jesus christ, John. Count yourself very lucky at your clear lack of knowledge with regards to such a topic.

How come? The phrase depression covers quite a broad range of things from a normal reaction to something bad to clinical depression which is an illness.

Well first of all you stated it as 'depression,' initially. So with that I'll just asses what you originally said. Basically, with possibly your lackadaisical approach to such a thing or your knowledge with regards to the subject (not a criticism) I was saying that your lack of understanding counts to your advantage because luckily for you you've never had/nor suffered from a form of depression, or 'clinical' depression if you will. We're not talking 'fuck it's Monday I don't want to go to work' type depression, the 'real' depression if I can say such a thing is waking up Monday morning, just not being able to get out of bed, and wondering if you want to live on this planet anymore.

I'm not having a pop at all, just saying that people who have such a lack of knowledge on such a serious topic are very lucky, because clearly they and or loved ones aren't suffering from it.

Unfortunately for me I know first hand with regards to this. You can't even begin to sum it up in words.

And, given what Robin Williams did, pretty much sums up depression? Or sort of anyway. It can affect anyone, no matter of fame, money, lifestyle etc that in a way doesn't particularly matter. The whole mind can be an evil, evil thing.

And the 'state of mind' thing is so utterly wrong to even use. It really is. If only it were the 'state of mind' because if it were, that gives it some sort of rational thought, something unfortunately you can't really have with depression.

[Edited on 14-08-2014 by p]
taylorboosh

15th Aug 14 at 05:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This fucking thread has got me depressed
ed

15th Aug 14 at 07:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by p
quote:

Well first of all you stated it as 'depression,' initially. So with that I'll just asses what you originally said. Basically, with possibly your lackadaisical approach to such a thing or your knowledge with regards to the subject (not a criticism) I was saying that your lack of understanding counts to your advantage because luckily for you you've never had/nor suffered from a form of depression, or 'clinical' depression if you will. We're not talking 'fuck it's Monday I don't want to go to work' type depression, the 'real' depression if I can say such a thing is waking up Monday morning, just not being able to get out of bed, and wondering if you want to live on this planet anymore.

I'm not having a pop at all, just saying that people who have such a lack of knowledge on such a serious topic are very lucky, because clearly they and or loved ones aren't suffering from it.

Unfortunately for me I know first hand with regards to this. You can't even begin to sum it up in words.

And, given what Robin Williams did, pretty much sums up depression? Or sort of anyway. It can affect anyone, no matter of fame, money, lifestyle etc that in a way doesn't particularly matter. The whole mind can be an evil, evil thing.

And the 'state of mind' thing is so utterly wrong to even use. It really is. If only it were the 'state of mind' because if it were, that gives it some sort of rational thought, something unfortunately you can't really have with depression.

[Edited on 14-08-2014 by p]

Don't make me go copying and pasting Wikipedia on yo ass.

[Edited on 15-08-2014 by ed]
Brett
Premium Member

15th Aug 14 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand the concept of depression but I do feel like I'm yet to see a genuine case. For example Robin from the sounds of it had lots of troubles, therefore sad/miserable/worrying about them. So does that mean he's got a mental illness or just normal? Anyone who I've seen who's "depressed" usually has some kind of hang up about something, feels like life isn't going the way it should etc. I realise I'm probably gonna be told I don't understand depression now, that's cool.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Aug 14 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think there are genuine cases and then cases that people just label themselves with, bit like ADHD, oh my child is a bit naughty he must have ADHD, oh im a bit sad I must have depression and have 2 weeks off work etc etc

[Edited on 15-08-2014 by Steve]
Eck
Premium Member

15th Aug 14 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are a lot of people who use depression as an excuse for feeling down, I agree. That's probably why those who are genuinely depressed aren't taken seriously.
JonnyJ

15th Aug 14 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
I understand the concept of depression but I do feel like I'm yet to see a genuine case. For example Robin from the sounds of it had lots of troubles, therefore sad/miserable/worrying about them. So does that mean he's got a mental illness or just normal? Anyone who I've seen who's "depressed" usually has some kind of hang up about something, feels like life isn't going the way it should etc. I realise I'm probably gonna be told I don't understand depression now, that's cool.

Unfortunately theres many, many people that play the depression card when just looking for an excuse to have some time off work and because of this people end up skeptical of anyone who says they are suffering from depression, which for people who are genuine makes it even worse as people think they're just lazy. Its a shame.

Theres also different levels of depression, its got to be taken on an individual case basis, everyone is different and has different triggers and reactions.

Be thankful you've never had an experience of it, I watched a man become a shell of his former self. It was awful and not really understanding it at the time, i didnt even know what i could do to help.
RichR
Premium Member

16th Aug 14 at 07:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing I find selfish about what he did is not the fact that he committed suicide, I don't fully understand the psyche of someone willing to do so but I've had family do the same and can accept that it comes from a deep and dark place. The selfish factor isn't the act but the method, hanging himself as he reportedly did or shooting yourself or slashing your wrists in a bath are violent methods and ones which have to have a profound effect on those that find you and those are likely to be friends, family and loved ones. Whilst taking copious amounts of pills and alcohol or gassing yourself in a car, etc. have the same effect without the gruesomeness of the scene and in a roundabout way, shows a little more respect for those left behind and those who ultimately find the body.

I went to the funeral of the brother of a close friend. I'd not met the brother but as his family were fractious, I offered support to my friend. As an Catholic funeral and particularly as an Irish wake, I was expected to go to see the body in the open casket. His brother had killed himself by jumping infront of a train with a container of petrol - that's not a pretty scene for anyone to find, family, friends or otherwise. The open casket was actually draped so that all you could see was his face and even then, the back of his head was clearly held on with a bandage. The scene in the coffin was horrific and I would hazard a guess that the scene when he was identified or when someone had to scrape him off the rails was a thousand times worse. The lack of care and compassion for those left is hugely selfish in my opinion.

Robin Williams had well documented issues with drink and drugs and would have been well aware of how to obtain and how much to administer so why not kill himself in a less graphic manner?
JonnyJ

16th Aug 14 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of the problems with what you're saying is that you're assuming the the person is thinking rationally, like me or you.

A lot of the times when someone decides to end their life its completely impulsive, its not something that they'd have mulled over for days in advance and meticulously planned. So it could simply have been a case of decided to do it, was wearing a belt, job done, we'll never know truly, but i think its wrong to assume 1. That it was a well thought through plan and 2. That said person is even capable of processing the effects of their type of suicide. They arent thinking rationally, it would be wrong to assume that their decision on how they do it was rationally thought out either.

Think about it this way, pre depression would said person have ever wanted to hurt their family, or anyone else in such a way? As i said before, i think its wrong to judge a person how they acted whilst suffering from a mental illness and completely forget what they were like when they were well. Remember its not "them" making the decision, it hugely influenced by the illness they are suffering from and having that is not their fault, nor is it a reflection on their true personality.

Again, every one should be judged on a case by case basis, its never black and white and theres many, many factors to take into account. To brand all suicides, even violent ones selfish, is far, far too simple for such a complex thing.
Eck
Premium Member

16th Aug 14 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Copious amounts of alcohol and lots of pills aren't a guaranteed ticket. Trust me.
Shell
Premium Member

16th Aug 14 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
Copious amounts of alcohol and lots of pills aren't a guaranteed ticket. Trust me.

Luckily, Soapy!
Marc

16th Aug 14 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck

Or maybe it was self sabotaged as a certain person couldn't bare to leave his virtual buddies behind.
Eck
Premium Member

17th Aug 14 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think I'd have the cunning after a bottle of Bombay Sapphire.
3CorsaMeal

18th Aug 14 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dislike how we can't accept some people are thick, just good old thick people.

They need a label these days, like dyslexia (about one kid had it when i was at school and he had brain damage from holding his breath too long)

Nowadays everyone needs a label, "oh i have such and such" Not just, "i'm a bit thick"

There has always been thick people on this earth and always will be, just accept it imo
flybikeslee

18th Aug 14 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some people said it was arson. However i doubtfire
deano87

19th Aug 14 at 06:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Too soon?

SVM 286

25th Apr 15 at 03:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bumped for anyone interested in this...

http://www.channel5.com/shows/autopsy-the-last-hours-of-robin-williams/episodes/autopsy-the-last-hours-of-robin-williams

Some of the details seem to put his actions into a bit of perspective, for me at least.

Poor bastard must have been in a pretty dark f*cking place.
BeetleGav

25th Apr 15 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I watched this the other night, was interesting and atleast reveals the reason why. I was surprised no drink or drugs were involved

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Robin Williams Dead 22 database queries in 0.1019740 seconds