corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Robin Williams Dead

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Robin Williams Dead
Aaron

User status: Offline
12th Aug 14 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mrs has already watched Aladdin. Just put on Mrs Doubtfire.

TBH, there were a number of parts of Aladdin which made me laugh (i.e voiceover bits don't by Robin Williams)

[Edited on 12-08-2014 by Aaron]
taylorboosh

12th Aug 14 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bicentenial man is fantastic
Eck
Premium Member

12th Aug 14 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ljames555
Welly Wanger

13th Aug 14 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

morc and mindy Nanu nanu
Ben G

13th Aug 14 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How have I never seen awakenings before? Brilliant film.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

14th Aug 14 at 06:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is quite gutting that he died. As a few people on here I grew up with loads his films.
I do have abit less respect for him due to the suicide though. Think it's the cowards way out personally.
And a couple of people on here saying it must of been hard for him struggling with drugs and drink in the past, there's a very easy solution to that... Don't do drugs or drink stupid amounts in the first place?
Marc

14th Aug 14 at 07:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suicide is a selfish act, but think about what he must had going on in his head for him to leave everything behind when it is clear he was very close to his family.

Look at Tony Scott recently. A lot of rumoured said he was possibly ill and this was his way of ending the pain.

Unless Ronin Williams left a note no one will ever know why he deemed it neccesary to end it when he had a loving family around him.
Russ

14th Aug 14 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to think it was selfish. Now I see it as that persons desperation for a release
Marc

14th Aug 14 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good Will Hunting is on tonight.
JonnyJ

14th Aug 14 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to go a bit PaulJ here but its a subject thats close to my heart and i think its sad that some people still don't get what Depression is. Its important that we become more understanding of it as unfortunately the views of those people can and do lead to people with the illness not seeking help because they will be chastised by those ill informed.

Firstly people need to stop thinking of depression (or any other mental illness) as something you can just shake off, you cant just "man the fuck up" and it goes away. Its a disease. A life threatening disease as valid as cancer or AIDS or Parkinsons. Its important people get over that mental hurdle as without it you cant get past the incorrect preconceptions that its just a weakness. Its not. The mind is a byproduct of the brain, the brain is an organ, the same as the heart, liver or the lungs and as such its as vulnerable to disease and failure. Unlike anything else however the mind isn't a physical thing, its not something you can touch or see, so if its suffering from an illness its not something you can see affecting a person physically, you cant x-ray it and say "theres your problem". Depression is a disease of the mind and until you can see that, you're always going to struggle with understanding it and its effects on the person.

I always find when people who don't understand it talk about it, they do so in a way that the person is still in full control of their thoughts and actions, which is not true. Which is why it always grinds on me when people use the words "selfish" or "coward" when discussing suicide. Selfishness is generally a bad trait, but its something, when well, you are in full control of, you can choose to be selfish or you can choose not to be. If you are not in control of your own thoughts how can you possibly be described as being selfish? Killing yourself is not something done by people who are well. They aren't thinking how they would normally think or how you and me would think. Essentially its not really them making the decision but an ill version of themselves. Yes, their body carries out the actions but its not them inside.

I always find it awful when people describe those who have committed suicide as selfish as its assigning an incorrect trait to someone. The person could have lived their entire life as the most selfless person in the world, but they are unfortunately struck down by an awful illness which ends up killing them and suddenly, they are selfish cunts. Its wrong and its unfair to the family members of said person who are already having to deal with one of the hardest things they could possibly have to deal with along with people who didn't know the person calling them selfish cowards. Nothing is black and white when it comes to suicide.

The funny thing is if Robin Williams had have smoked 40 a day and because of that, contracted lung cancer and died aged 63, not one person in here would have come along and posted "selfish twat" more likely it would've been "Cancer is a bitch RIP in peace bro". Actually, if anything, that would be the more selfish scenario for death, given that the dangers of smoking are well documented. If you smoke you know you are leaving yourself more open to cancer and an untimely death and one that your relatives are going to have to live through. I notice no one ever says that though, and thats because Cancer is understood. People get that its a disease and its not their fault they got it, although in some cases their decisions in life could've helped prevent it, but that aside its not a given doing anything differently would've changed it and they are people who, rightly, should be felt sorry for getting what is an awful disease and if it kills them, thats really sad.

Just something for all those who are happy to throw insults around without understanding a subject to think about. It probably wont change anyone, but as i said, its a something that extremely close to my heart and if i could just change one persons perspective then thats a good thing, the more people understand it and become accepting of mental illness hopefully, the more that will seek help and survive it. I think certainly in the future, people, as understanding of mental health grows, will look back on their views and be embarrassed by what they used to think about it. I hope so anyway.

My thoughts go out to Robin Williams and his family, i know exactly what they are going through right now and hopefully they can find some peace in that he isn't suffering anymore, which is the most important thing. It would be selfish to think of anyone but him. He was living it after all.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

14th Aug 14 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't read all that. The bits that I did read

If he had smoked 40 a day, then died of lung cancer. Yes it would of been his own fault and would receive no sympathy from me.
Same as that bird that's just killed herself through a heroin overdose (forgot her name). It's her own fault, got no sympathy for her.
Not saying I've got no sympathy for him for being depressed, just saying suicide is the cowards way out IMHO
I know all about depression and all that shit. If you were a preem you would know that too by what I've said in some threads in the preem lounge.

Personal opinions are always going to clash over suicides. Some think it's selfish. Others think it's justified. I'm just one of then that thinks it's selfish.
Marc

14th Aug 14 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't personally think it is selfish by the way, each case is different. Just that suicide is deemed as a selfish act.

Either way it is terrible news.
John

14th Aug 14 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is depression really a disease? Is it not more a state of mind (whether easy to get out of that state or not is another matter) nothing is physically broken is it?
Eck
Premium Member

14th Aug 14 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Is depression really a disease? Is it not more a state of mind (whether easy to get out of that state or not is another matter) nothing is physically broken is it?

Its certainly an illness. The two words are used interchangeably, so you could say it is.
Eck
Premium Member

14th Aug 14 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And it really is pointless trying to explain to someone just how wrong suicide being "the cowards way out" is.
JonnyJ

14th Aug 14 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Well the definition of disease is as follows

"a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury."

I'd say you can put depression under that. Its certainly not "normal" therefore a disorder/disease/illness of the mind. Theres also physical changes in the brain such as chemical imbalances although its much more complicated than just that.

[Edited on 14-08-2014 by JonnyJ]
Robin
Premium Member

14th Aug 14 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love the fact that Jonny makes a post which pretty much sums up peoples mis-understanding of depression, explains it in a concise way and people still try to argue about his points while being all tl;dr with it.

Ricky Gervais summed it up for me yesterday with his post on Facebook - telling someone with depression to snap out of it is like telling someone with cancer to stop having cancer - until people understand that, the world will be full of ignorant idiots who still think it's easy to live with.

[Edited on 14-08-2014 by Robin]
Russ

14th Aug 14 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91

I know all about depression and all that shit. If you were a preem you would know that too by what I've said in some threads in the preem lounge.

Personal opinions are always going to clash over suicides. Some think it's selfish. Others think it's justified. I'm just one of then that thinks it's selfish.

just because you have seen/known somebody who is depressed, doesn't mean you understand it...
JonnyJ

14th Aug 14 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
I love the fact that Jonny makes a post which pretty much sums up peoples mis-understanding of depression, explains it in a concise way and people still try to argue about his points while being all tl;dr with it.

Ricky Gervais summed it up for me yesterday with his post on Facebook - telling someone with depression to snap out of it is like telling someone with cancer to stop having cancer - until people understand that, the world will be full of ignorant idiots who still think it's easy to live with.

[Edited on 14-08-2014 by Robin]

I saw the reply to my post and figured theres no point wasting my time trying to have a conversation as some people just arent willing to listen and maybe learn something. C'est La Vie, everyones entitled to their own opinion and im happy to discuss their views if they can take my points and counter them with ones of their own but more often than not its just the same old "i just think its like this and thats my opinion" without backing it up with anything. Be nice if one person has read it and its made them think differently about it.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

14th Aug 14 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:

Its certainly an illness. The two words are used interchangeably, so you could say it is.

Didn't you have depression and try to top your self with paracetamol?
Eck
Premium Member

14th Aug 14 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ibuprofen actually. Yet I fail to see the point?
GB123
Premium Member

14th Aug 14 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I knew someone with cancer so I know all about that shit.
Dom

14th Aug 14 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're saying he was recently diagnosed with parkinsons; poor fucking bastard

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28796277
p

14th Aug 14 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Jesus christ, John. Count yourself very lucky at your clear lack of knowledge with regards to such a topic.
p

14th Aug 14 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91

just because you have seen/known somebody who is depressed, doesn't mean you understand it...

Quite!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Robin Williams Dead 22 database queries in 0.0990410 seconds