corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sonos soundbar

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sonos soundbar
baza31

User status: Offline
6th Aug 14 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was shopping on sat and popped into richer sounds and end up coming out with a sonos playbar . I explained I don't yet have internet and just wanted it to play my tv sound to which they informed me it would work with an optical lead . To cut a long story short it doesn't . I took it to my mates and registered it and updated it and it played radio at his when connected via a lead direct to his router . Took it home and still won't work . App says I need to be on same network as the router .

Does it need a wired connection to router and do I need the internet ? I liked the idea or wireless multi room but may swop it for something else
Toby
Premium Member

6th Aug 14 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you plugging the optical lead into? All it will do is play sound from the device your plugging it into. On order to benefit from all the features you will need a WiFi network in your property. You can have this fairly cheaply without an internet connection but without the net your still surpressing a lot of features.
Doug

6th Aug 14 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure you are aware but the optical lead will run from the TV to the soundbar. It should natively play whatever audio would normally be coming out of your TV's speakers.

Do you have a router you could plug in to give you a wireless network, even though there would be no external connectivity? It might be easier to have that so you can use the app to control/manage it.
ash_corsa

6th Aug 14 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will need to either plug it in directly to the router or buy a zone bridge. RS should have explained a bit better by the sound of it!
Balling
Premium Member

7th Aug 14 at 07:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
they informed me it would work with an optical lead . To cut a long story short it doesn't .
This has nothing to do with everything else you've said.

I think you need to give the long story, as right now we have no idea what you've tried and what you're trying to achieve.

What was the point of connecting it to your friends router?
What happens if you connect the soundbar to the TV with an optical lead?

You'll obviously not be able to use the app unless the soundbar and phone are connected to the same network. Whether said network has internet access or not shouldn't make any difference when it comes to app>soundbar connectivity, but obviously a lot of the soundbars features will not work without internet.

ash_corsa

7th Aug 14 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pretty sure it won't work at all without a network as it requires the app to control it.
baza31

20th Aug 14 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ended up buying a bridge and it didn't work so took it back . Am not scratching my head on what to do . Has anyone heard the yamaha ysp 2500? Is it worth the money
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Aug 14 at 07:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A good rule of thumb is that soundbars are never worth the money.

Didn't you already ask about this a while back? Virtual surround and all that?

Balling
Premium Member

22nd Aug 14 at 07:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Old thread on the subject:
http://www.c20xe.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661772

Everything in there still holds true.

3CorsaMeal

22nd Aug 14 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I looked into a soundbar for tv a while back and ended up with this

http://www.trustedreviews.com/onkyo-htx-22hdx-5-1-surround-sound-system_Surround-Sound-System_review

Someone on here recommended it, was nearer £200 on amazon.

I don't play my music through it though, only tv and xbox.
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Aug 14 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure you said you replaced that a while back because it broke or something?

Recall discussing real world benefits of external DAC or something along those lines.

Can't find thread now, but then you've a habit of going on deleting sprees.

3CorsaMeal

22nd Aug 14 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah i wanted something to play music on so bought some hifi separates and speakers as well as.

The onkyo still works great, i had a Aego m series before it, which i broke (through playing music too loud)
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Aug 14 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That will be it then.

Agree that a 2.1 kit is preferable to a soundbar btw.
Don't think the Onkyo one is in production any more though.

3CorsaMeal

22nd Aug 14 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might try and buy a centre speaker for it now i'm thinking about it. Some of the reviews said the speech can be a bit muffled sometimes, which it is.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

22nd Aug 14 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amazed that Richer Sounds advised you to buy a playbar if you don't have the net at home.

You don't need the bridge for a playbar as it has that built in and I don't think it will be any use at all without a router/network to connect to.

There must be better (and probably cheaper) alternatives for you. I would take it back and get some more advice.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
baza31

22nd Aug 14 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have taken it back and got a refund .

As for better balling what do you suggest , I don't want any wires on show and also don't want large speakers everywhere . It's for my bedroom so rear speakers would be at the side of our heads . So far the new yamaha ysp 2500 seems the best on the market for simulated surround ? Am going to buy it tomorrow I think on the proviso you can wall mount it
baza31

23rd Aug 14 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If anyone is remotely interested the soundbar is excellent . It's actually unbelievable how it sounds like things are behind you from one speaker that's in front of u
John

23rd Aug 14 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only if you don't understand how it works.
baza31

24th Aug 14 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Believe it or not but I did read up on how it worked before I spent £800 on it . I also read that it projects sounds off the walls to try create cinema surround but I didn't think it would sound anything like it does . Highly recommend getting one

New Poll